Cargo Van/Own Authority Start Up

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Any size vehicle transporting freight across state lines needs authority!

No, they don't. If you are under 10k lbs you are not required to get authority. An MC# could be a good idea but it is not needed.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

Polish_Drive

Rookie Expediter
I drive a van with my own authority, and I think you pay less for insurance with your own MC#. My broker is asking for MC# and ICC.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
USBOSExp , the OP, posted on 10-30-2012.

Does anyone know if he made it out here? Well, just thought I would ask.

Jamin_Joe

Seasoned Expediter
Join OODIA, that is invluded in the membership fee along with the process agent. They also have advisors that can help with any issue you may face.

My experience with load boards is they are best for over 12000 lbs loads.

pwrwagn

Active Expediter
ANY size ??

ANY size.
Mind you, I had to have one if I was just going to transport an ENVELOPE across a state line in my Jeep. Now, under 10K, you have a lower insurance requirement, lower cost of cargo insurance ( this is up to who you haul for, uncle Sam don't care - I got 5K for under 35/mo), but you absolutely, really, truly, no question about it, MUST have an MC number to paid to transport ANYTHING across a state line.

Here in Illinois, with a clean driving record, that minimum insurance was available from ONE insurer, that being Progressive, and the liability ONLY was a little under 400/mo. Full coverage on my vehicle more than doubled it.

Reactions: Zimmerms

wayneygogo

Seasoned Expediter
So, let me get this straight. If I want to become my own company, all I have to do is get the right insurance and then start trying to drum up business???? And here I thought maybe I needed authority before I called "U-Ship" to see if I could get anything worthwhile.

Somehow, I have a sneaking suspicion there's a wee bit more to it than that. Even for a less-than-10,000 CV.
Well ..Each and every broker or carrier I have called to drum up business has asked for 3 things.1.Name of company2.Insurance.3 and MC number .In addition we are able to run under the carriers MC number who we are leased to.

live and learn

New Recruit
Driver
what i dont understand is,your not regulated by FMCSA(dot) because your under 10,000lbs,no hazmat and no passengers...then why use MC numbers,i know cause you cross state lines for compensation,thats obvious.But if your not regulated in the first place then MC do not apply right? FMCSA website say you need MC numbers if you cross state line in ADDITION to dot numbero_O...but then you go back and see if you need dot numbers...are you over 10,000lbs? do you haul hazmat? or passengers?...you say no...great..your not regulated...but you need MC numbers????? just gos back and forth,,,,they never say anything about if your not FMCSA(DOT) regulated that you need MC numbers

live and learn

New Recruit
Driver
i dont think FMCSA wants to say it , but if your under 10,000lbs, no hazmat or passengers,,,you don't need mc number on your jeep or civic to deliver a letter.FMCSA was put in force to keep the public safe against heavy,hazmat and passenger vehicles...that why those 3 thresholds were put in place....so if you are under 10,000lbs,no hazmat or explosives or passenger...then anything the FMCSA says means nothing to cargo vans,,,,and don't say yes it does, because i transport cargo over state line,,,THAT'S A FMCSA REGULATION,,,which i do not apply

live and learn

New Recruit
Driver
You are required to obtain a USDOT number if you have a vehicle that:

• Is used to transport the types and quantities of hazardous materials requiring a safety permit in intrastate commerce .
OR

• Has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross combination weight rating, or gross vehicle weight or gross combination weight, of 4,536 kg (10,001 pounds) or more, whichever is greater; or
  • Is designed or used to transport more than 8 passengers (including the driver) for compensation; or
  • Is designed or used to transport more than 15 passengers, including the driver, and is not used to transport passengers for compensation;
AND is involved in Interstate commerce:
Trade, traffic, or transportation in the United States—

• Between a place in a State and a place outside of such State (including a place outside of the United States);
  • Between two places in a State through another State or a place outside of the United States; or
  • Between two places in a State as part of trade, traffic, or transportation originating or terminating outside the State or the United States.
You are required by FMCSA to obtain a USDOT Number and comply with the Federal Regulations.

live and learn

New Recruit
Driver
thats right there boys is straight copied and pasted from FMCSA website, notice they put an "or" for your dot regulation and the word "and" if your interstate commerce...so if you don't meet the first qualifications then the second half does NOT apply

Reactions: Gwynn19

live and learn

New Recruit
Driver
In general, companies that do the following are required to have interstate Operating Authority (MC number) in addition to a DOT number:

• Transport passengers in interstate commerce (for a fee or other compensation, whether direct or indirect)
  • Transport federally-regulated commodities owned by others or arranging for their transport, (for a fee or other compensation, in interstate commerce)

look at this,another copied and pasted quote from FMCSA,,say cargo vans need MC numbers???or does it??? see that word ADDITION...lol...there is nothing directly linking cargo van to obtain MC numbers

live and learn

New Recruit
Driver
so as the world follows what they think FMCSA has rights to...lol...if i am wrong please please!!!!! prove it,,, i want to see something that states if your not dot regulated,you need mc numbers...just do what i did,,copy and paste right off there website and then i can be proved wrong...but, no tricky words like "and" or "IN ADDITION" ..lol...also you can call the FMCSA,,but they cant give a straight answer either, they say "if you have DOT numbers then you need your MC numbers sir" lol

Last edited: