Getting back into the Expedite Business!!!

LARRY EVANS

New Recruit
My wife and I are strongly considering getting back into the expediting business, but I have a few questions:
1. Can we use our personal vehicles to help with down payment for Straight truck(excellent credit)?
2. I know Panther will only accept 10ys or newer, but will they require you to upgrade once your truck is older than 10ys?
3. How is the expediting industry now? We were in this business in 2007-2008 and got out because the truck owner was a very bad business man!

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
1. I have no idea [never bought a truck], but if you need to, you can always sell them privately and use the proceeds towards a new [ish] truck.
2. To the best of my knowledge, once the truck is accepted, the age is no longer a consideration, provided that it passes inspections, looks acceptable, and doesn't cause problems due to frequent or repeated breakdowns.
3. It's not what it was years ago, but good teams can still make a good living, if they are committed to it.

Good luck! :)

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you only stayed for a year or two before I would be very hesitant to trade in the cars and buy a truck. It might be a bytes idea to drive for a fleet owner for six months or so before leaping in that far.

laicox

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
My wife and I are strongly considering getting back into the expediting business, but I have a few questions:
1. Can we use our personal vehicles to help with down payment for Straight truck(excellent credit)?
2. I know Panther will only accept 10ys or newer, but will they require you to upgrade once your truck is older than 10ys?
3. How is the expediting industry now? We were in this business in 2007-2008 and got out because the truck owner was a very bad business man!

Hi Larry;
Welcome back!
In regard to using your vehicle for a trade in.... I would call Jeff at Stoops or someone at FYDA and ask the question directly to the truck dealer... I deal with Jeff so I have his information...here you go:

Jeff Jones
Stoops Specialty Trucks
Direct: 260 748-2616
[email protected]

2. In regard to the truck age for Panther again, I would get in touch with them so you have the most up to date information. I haven't talked with Coertje for a while but, here is the contact information.

Coertje Feil
Recruiting Coordinator
Panther Premium LogisticsSM - An ArcBest Company
[email protected]
p: 800.640.7055 ext. 3740
f: 866.859.5668

3. I think the expediting industry is great! I do know that if you are an owner operator you must run your truck just like any other business. If you don't have a business background then it would be critical to gain an understanding of creating a business plan first. (I use Business Plan Pro) We operate in the straight truck business model. I would also recommend that you gain as many certifications as possible such as: HazMat, Passport and FAST card for going to Canada, TWIC card for dropping off loads at airports, etc.

Hope this helps...

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hi Larry;
Welcome back!
In regard to using your vehicle for a trade in.... I would call Jeff at Stoops or someone at FYDA and ask the question directly to the truck dealer... I deal with Jeff so I have his information...here you go:

Jeff Jones
Stoops Specialty Trucks
Direct: 260 748-2616
[email protected]

2. In regard to the truck age for Panther again, I would get in touch with them so you have the most up to date information. I haven't talked with Coertje for a while but, here is the contact information.

Coertje Feil
Recruiting Coordinator
Panther Premium LogisticsSM - An ArcBest Company
[email protected]
p: 800.640.7055 ext. 3740
f: 866.859.5668

3. I think the expediting industry is great! I do know that if you are an owner operator you must run your truck just like any other business. If you don't have a business background then it would be critical to gain an understanding of creating a business plan first. (I use Business Plan Pro) We operate in the straight truck business model. I would also recommend that you gain as many certifications as possible such as: HazMat, Passport and FAST card for going to Canada, TWIC card for dropping off loads at airports, etc.

Hope this helps...
I TWIC was only for loading and unloading at ports.