Getting our own customers - where do I begin?

BHXpress

Active Expediter
Carrier Management
BH Xpress started up in 2014 and we're up to 10 Sprinters now. I want to begin acquiring our own customers but have no clue where to begin. We don't have a broker license. I assume I should begin with small, local companies to where most of our vans are located and expand from there. Anyways, any advise would be appreciated.

Reactions: ground-pound

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Wait a Minute why I GIVE you a Customer List .... really ..?
What about YOU go out and DO some leg work and EARN your own customer list ... lol

Last edited:

BHXpress

Active Expediter
Carrier Management
I'm not asking for a customer list. I'm asking for advise as to what type of companies to contact, where to look, etc.

If you want to help, then help. If not, no need to reply. :)

Have a good day sir.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm not asking for a customer list. I'm asking for advise as to what type of companies to contact, where to look, etc.

If you want to help, then help. If not, no need to reply. :)

Have a good day sir.

Ok ..I guess i was exspecting you to next ask for list ..and put horse in front of cart ..
Type of companys to contact = lets see ? How long you been in this Business ..? And YOU don't KNOW what type of companys Expedite shipments and who to contact ... like I said Go out and start knocking on shipping doors .... get FULLY INSURED ... do you really exspect the well known or other small name carriers on this site to lay down a business plan for You to Compete in a over saturated market all ready ...wow ..sorry I seem to venting but .. I don't give any Money to the Ramp Beggars either .... I earn My money and You should too ... No hand-outs here .... :D

hazmat

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think what ntimevan is trying to say (and correct me if I'm wrong ntimevan) that all of us have a vested interest in not telling you who to call on as that might jeopardize possible income for ourselves.... Road Runner, Cross Roads, Load 1, etc., etc. all have "types" of clients they work for and if they, the companies or the O/OP's for those companies tell you, those "types" of clients, that's taking food off their tables...

I would think that if you've been in business for over a year now (with 10 units), you should have a feel for what type of freight you have been hauling and where it comes from, just my opinion...

I hope this helps, Hazmat

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
you should have had a business plan right from the gitgo...you build a fleet then get stuck?...you are the CEO, YOU are the captain of the ship...knowing is your job....knowledge is power...does the CEO of Walmart ask Kmart for advise?......you have all these big ideas but you don't know Jack.....thats whats wrong with this business...guys like you....and we have far too many of them now....we need less....sorry Charlie....

bubblehead

Veteran Expediter
you should have had a business plan right from the gitgo...you build a fleet then get stuck?...you are the CEO, YOU are the captain of the ship...knowing is your job....knowledge is power...does the CEO of Walmart ask Kmart for advise?......you have all these big ideas but you don't know Jack.....thats whats wrong with this business...guys like you....and we have far too many of them now....we need less....sorry Charlie....
Sounds like another Titanic in the making.

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sounds like another Titanic in the making.
far too many startup "wannabe" carriers the last few years....there are far too many desperate van drivers looking for an easy way into this business that they fall victim to these "wannabe" carriers...and are left by the roadside and owed money....Less is more....we do not need growth in the CV arena....we need shrinkage!

What kind of person starts a business in a market saturated already and prices are depressed?...you kidding me?....gee whiz....

Last edited:

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm confused, you have ten vans running freight for other companies but don't know what kind of places to aproach? That's kind of like saying, I mow lawns for some other companies but don't know how to find people with grass in their ysrd.

You want knowledge, spend the money to join industry groups and attend. Networking with other company owners can be a wealth of info.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Customers list, i tell all my guys that want a list, that the yellow pages is the best place to start, it's full of people needing shipments!

Make up a large postcard , on heavy stock, have a nice glossy picture of your fleet, and maybe your smiling mugshot on it and a brief description of your services, along with your name and contact info, and mail them out to future customers, good luck, there are lots of vans and sprinters out there.

Last edited:
Reactions: jjtdrv4u

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Get a few more whiskers. I'm serious. You started in 2014, you haven't got your feet wet yet. It takes time to grow a business that stands the tests that come.

My brother had a tendency towards daydreams like that. "I started my business on 7/28/2015, today I have 250 trucks on the road". At the time, he had like, 60 dollars in his pocket and maybe twice that in the bank--- so you know that wasn't going anywhere.

fifaref2

Seasoned Expediter
12-9-2013 ovm replied to this same guys question about the same topic or close to it. The guy never replied to him but went on to ask more or less the same questions. I replied that you should begin to answer ovm's question. Well still waiting for that reply from 18 months ago. Writing is on the wall.

Reactions: ntimevan

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
There is no better experience than BEING in the industry on someone else's payroll first. In March of 2012 Crossroads Express, LLC was born. But I had the benefit of moving freight, warehousing, courier management, straight & semi management, equipment acquisition & management, driver relations & driver recruiting for every year from 1996-2011. That's not something ANYONE can teach you. The biggest benefits of all those years might just be how to TRY to avoid failing and how to recover and move forward quickly from a failure.
Best wishes with your endeavor.
But don't expect to find the books on the shelf that will make learning this easy.
It's not & it never will be.
Just my opinion, of course.

Last edited:

paulnstef39

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Pass out cards with contact info, services, and web link.
1. Go to an airport. Talk to everyone with a dock around cargo terminal, give them a card. 2. Go to industrial districts, talk to everyone with a dock, give them a card. 3. Ask for referrals to other shippers(customers). 4. Repeat in every city you go to.