Generators and Airconditioners

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
We use a simple curtain on a spring loaded shower rod to reduce the cooled space to about 1/2 of the van... which makes it very cool inside.

Reactions: bubblehead

acvox24

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Mine Stays totally cool at over 100 degrees, with a 5000. However I insulated the bananas out of my truck. I must of gone through 40 cans of that spray on insulation filling in every crack and crevice. Then I ran half in poly down all the sides and sprayed them in too. I have a 700/1500 watt space heater and I never use the 1500 watt setting. So it's possible. ImageUploadedByEO Forums1438145160.072937.jpg

Reactions: ntimevan

bubblehead

Veteran Expediter
We use a simple curtain on a spring loaded shower rod to reduce the cooled space to about 1/2 of the van... which makes it very cool inside.
So for the cost of a curtain & rod you can save hundreds on an AC unit and hundreds more on a smaller KW generator plus a whole lot less fuel burn, less weight and less aerodynamic drag (no roof top)...all this because of a $10. curtain rod and curtains? :) Gotta like Paul Harvey!

paulnstef39

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
So for the cost of a curtain & rod you can save hundreds on an AC unit and hundreds more on a smaller KW generator plus a whole lot less fuel burn, less weight and less aerodynamic drag (no roof top)...all this because of a $10. curtain rod and curtains? :) Gotta like Paul Harvey!
Look at westmicher pictures of his A/C install. He installs a small door in the side of the van, which stays closed until you deploy the a/c. He's got some good pictures.

Reactions: bubblehead

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Just be careful with the curtain rod. If you twist it out too far to make it really snug against the walls, it will bulge the walls. I've seen a couple of those where there are convex bumps on the outside of the van.

Reactions: ntimevan and robh2

bubblehead

Veteran Expediter
Look at westmicher pictures of his A/C install. He installs a small door in the side of the van, which stays closed until you deploy the a/c. He's got some good pictures.
Thanks, I'll check it out. I think its great when someone comes up with good alternatives to the status quo. I will be installing my hard start capacitor this weekend for my 14k btu unit. The little eu2000i is still doing the job without it but there is a notable momentary struggle. In the mean time, I installed an hour meter in the generator to better keep tabs on maintenance intervals. I haven't trimmed the ty wraps yet because I am testing different locations. I do think this will be the final location because no screws or modifications on the unit will be needed and I have to open the cover to check oil level anyways.

Attachments

• Hour meter.jpg
    Hour meter.jpg
    368.2 KB · Views: 72

Windsor

Veteran Expediter
I need to step in one of your vans on a hot humid day. When we were talking it sounds like our insulation is similar. I just can't wrap my head around a 5000 cooling an entire van on a 90 degree day with real high humidity. I'd like to check it out.
Ditto!

wayneygogo

Seasoned Expediter
We're talking about cooling. Let's talk about heat. you know how many watts of heat it takes to heat the inside of a full size van not to mention a sprinter. about 3000. Continuous watts for a conventional van that is insulated. Or to 1500 watt electric heaters. Well I want the old fashioned route. champion 3500 watt generator and a 5100 BTU house air conditioner mounted to the rear door I'm freezing

wayneygogo

Seasoned Expediter
Well I am currently in Huntsville Alabama 90 degrees. I'm using the 5100 BTU LG powered by a 3500 watt champion. no shade and I'm freezing. anyway the inside of the van has two and a half inches up Spray foam insulation all the way up to behind the front seats the doors are also foam. It added about 150 pounds they figure 2 pounds per cubic foot.

wayneygogo

Seasoned Expediter
Here is the spray foam cave I'm currently stuck with two pallets it makes a nice bed rack the air conditioner is buried behind the first pallet on the rear door.

Attachments

• 1438550768737.jpg
    1438550768737.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 76