Cargo Van Dodge ProMaster

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You guys with your big, expensive toys are making my old Chevy look better and better. Promaster is made by Fiat--- Fiats have never had a stellar reputation that I ever heard of. Sprinter is made by Mercedes-- and carries with it the expensive Mercedes price tag for repairs and maintenance. Saw a Scotty Kilmer You-Tube the other day about Mercedes-- he says they're money-pits and explained why. I remembered my old Sprinter-- and had to agree.

Transits-- I haven't heard much good or bad about these vans. They're powered by Ford engines, so that may be to their advantage (note: I've had reasonably good luck with Fords in the past, their glaring weakness was that they liked to use up fuel pumps). I'd like to see what there is on Transits.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
In a few years the little vans will be gone as no one will make them. Parts for all new vehicles are expensive van or not.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
every once and awhile there is a van that seems made in Hell....looks like you got one of them unfortunately.
many others have not had any problems with them....sounds like they should just replace the whole drive train...engine and tranny with all new and eliminate any chance of reccurance...instead of the bandaid approach which hardly ever works out..........wish you the best....Ken aka OVM

Reactions: xiggi

Pro3500

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
every once and awhile there is a van that seems made in Hell....looks like you got one of them unfortunately.
many others have not had any problems with them....sounds like they should just replace the whole drive train...engine and tranny with all new and eliminate any chance of reccurance...instead of the bandaid approach which hardly ever works out..........wish you the best....Ken aka OVM
I'm working on that exact thing OVM "replace the whole drive train" I talked with the service manager and the mechanic and said I don't want it back until you can tell me exactly why it's breaking flex plates. They have replaced everything except the engine. He's going to check end play on the crank, check the crank flange to make sure it's true. Make sure the crank is in the correct position (centered) He's not sure how they are going to check the mating service on the block. He's getting a factory rep involved finally. I had a long meeting with the mechanic and service rep. It may be the crank flange is to close or to fare away from the block. Pushing or pulling on the flex plate once it's installed. Causing it to be con-caved or dished. No doubt the new trans has a serious issue. I really hope the rep okays a total replace.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
The inner works of the tranny are probably just fine but somewhere between the engine and flex plate and housing there is a part out of spec...
since they can't seem to pin point the problem with any degree of accuracy...it would be common sense just to replace the whole drive line and it would be a done deal and they could also move unto other things....and life goes on...:)

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm with ovm on this. Have they talked about exchanging for another van yet? This could be a project van for Chrysler.
in the big picture an engine and tranny is chump change to them....they burn thru 1,000's just testing and toss them out....for everyones efforts that is involved that cost is far exceeding the material cost at this point...

Reactions: schwanman

Pro3500

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
in the big picture an engine and tranny is chump change to them....they burn thru 1,000's just testing and toss them out....for everyones efforts that is involved that cost is far exceeding the material cost at this point...
Agree OVM exactly what I said. They give them away to schools BOCES, MTI and so on. The transmission has a horrid noise in it when taking off a little hard. It's quit as a church mouse when driving normal. Hit it a little hard to jump into traffic you feel the vibration in the floor and the noise is hard to miss. Buy backs sound like a good idea until you look into them. In NY you have to have the same problem 4 times. Which I know have. I'm at 100700 miles so they will give me trade in value of 12-13 thousand. called and talked with a lemon law lawyer on it. They will get the buy back plus a settlement. He was going too talk the case over with other members of the firm and call me back. That was a week ago. Bottom line you need a safety issue before you have a "real" case. I hope they are going to dig deep this time fingers crossed.

GrassHopperr

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm not in the expediting business anymore but my promaster has had 2 radiators replaced so far under warranty and ac that went out on me. I'm at 73000 miles. Besides that I haven't had any other major problems. The thing I am concerned with is there is rust spots already showing up all over the place...I will be taking my van to the dealer and calling Chrysler. How can 1.5 year old vehicle start to rust, especially when I washed it frequently during winterImageUploadedByEO Forums1438527601.560134.jpg

Last edited:

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
FIAT, fix it all the time. I remember Fiat from the 850 days. I had high hopes for this van, and I know there are a lot of ok ones out there, but seems like there are a lot of problems as well.

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
FIAT, fix it all the time. I remember Fiat from the 850 days. I had high hopes for this van, and I know there are a lot of ok ones out there, but seems like there are a lot of problems as well.
The sad thing is, the engine and tranny are all Chrysler.

Pro3500

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Got some hopeful news on mine today. While talking with the case worker at Chrysler he read the notes coming in real time. The dealer is in contact with engineers? at Chrysler and they wanted more pictures. Looking at earlier notes they requested pictures earlier in the day. Hopefully someone is actually trying to find out what is causing my flexplate problem. I pushed again for a new power tran.

Pro3500

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Stopped in today they won't get apart until next week. Left me confused on the pictures. Service manager said they are requesting them when it's apart.