Big Truck I work on Hino trucks. I'll answer any questions I know the answers to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
The batteries seem pretty fine to me, I haven't hooked up a tester on them yet. But without the tester no issue till after heavy rain fall

I used a actron scanner just to see why the check engine Is on, I reset it today and all that came on was the low voltage. Reset it again and voltage and the scr malfuntion.
I'd check all of your battery connections and the ground wire on the left rear of the cab to the frame. This connection has paint behind it, and all of the paint needs to be removed and the wire bolted to bare metal.

Don_vincentio

Seasoned Expediter
I'd check all of your battery connections and the ground wire on the left rear of the cab to the frame. This connection has paint behind it, and all of the paint needs to be removed and the wire bolted to bare metal.
Both negative cables in the first two, and both positive in the third pic
9b13c661f681febbdfc4abb317dfa6ac.jpg
2890a5519b1dd5cdcbc7e4cf38bc4eb2.jpg
a5239e345612f6b14f84528ca935330b.jpg

I'm assuming these are the ground?
27aba79db88ee1a0c3b2b7717ecda276.jpg

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
See how that washer turned purple? That got hot. Bad connection.

These connections look like :censoredsign:. Clean all of that up.

There's a ground wire on the left rear of the cab that goes to the frame. Sand both points until they are bare metal.

Don_vincentio

Seasoned Expediter
See how that washer turned purple? That got hot. Bad connection.

These connections look like ****. Clean all of that up.

There's a ground wire on the left rear of the cab that goes to the frame. Sand both points until they are bare metal.

What's the best thing to clean these connectors?

Where at behind the cab on the rear left? Is it the one in the picture? Or is it In a whole different location?

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
diamondd has a reason to break some kneecaps with a baseball bat.

Diamondd is back on the road with a new head gasket, new injector cups, a new turbo, and new front wheel bearings and wheel seals. The truck has been programmed to allow a manual regen at any time.

dupluM

New Recruit
Hey greasytshirt would you know by any chances if it's hard to find the wires for the "car charger" on a 2006 Hino box truck?
Seems like they are gone, the carger doesn't give any power at all.
Thank you.

Last edited:

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
White/blue (+), black(-) , powered by radio fuse, in turn powered by power accessory relay, in turn powered by 30amp accessory relay at primary fuse box, usually behind driver's steps.

dupluM

New Recruit
White/blue (+), black(-) , powered by radio fuse, in turn powered by power accessory relay, in turn powered by 30amp accessory relay at primary fuse box, usually behind driver's steps.

Alright, i am gonna take a look later for that.
Now, the question for person who knows about Hino more than most of us.

What could happen to the "car charger" system or slot if doesn't give any power?

What happened was, one 3 slot car charger was hooked in and to that one, was connected one more 3 slot charger, so, it ended up, after the 2nd thing got hooked up, everything turned off and that is it. Not any lamps on the dash board, no power from the charger, and just found out that the radio is off too.

What do you think it is and where should i start checking?

Last edited:

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
You blew the radio fuse.

Did you mean there are no working lamps on the meter cluster, or there is no warning indicator lit indicating a problem?

Pop the passenger side kick panel off to uncover fuses. Grab the top and bottom and pull it straight back.

Don_vincentio

Seasoned Expediter
Is it behaving?
Was behaving for a day after cleaning the. Bam low voltage again and a check a/t message pulled over in a police parking lot, unhooked the batteries, got new ones and now not a single voltage problem. One of the batteries was bad, with the other one holding about 50% charge.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Was behaving for a day after cleaning the. Bam low voltage again and a check a/t message pulled over in a police parking lot, unhooked the batteries, got new ones and now not a single voltage problem. One of the batteries was bad, with the other one holding about 50% charge.

That'll do it. Hinos do not like bad batteries. At all!

Now check the charging system output. Turn every electrical accessory on. It should be putting out around 13.5 volts. Check for AC voltage, it should be less than, idk, 0.2-0.3 volts or less. AC voltage messes with DC electronics and destroys batteries. If you see AC voltage, it means the diodes in the alternator are dying.

dupluM

New Recruit
You need to rethink your charger strategy. No, it's not ok to stick a bigger fuse in there.

I found the problem, as you said, was the fuse, just replaced it and works again, everything.

Thank you for help.

And yes, we will rethink the chargin strategy :))

Good rest and be safe, the world needs more people like you, i've read your thread.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
I found the problem, as you said, was the fuse, just replaced it and works again, everything.

Thank you for help.

And yes, we will rethink the chargin strategy :))

Good rest and be safe, the world needs more people like you, i've read your thread.
Thanks!

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic

For you, and for everyone else that is reading, some of these cigarette lighter receptacles appear to be sourced directly from Toyota. Some Toyota receptacles have a little resistor or something soldered to the back. When overloaded this small device can fry.

If there is power and ground at the receptacle wires with the ignition on, but no receptacle function, replace the receptacle. Generic receptacles from an auto parts store that have a Toyota mention on the package should work with little effort. Others may too. I wouldn't worry too much about the little device that was on the back because the fuse will protect the circuit just fine.

As another forum user has pointed out, some of the other connectors on the engine wiring harness have Toyota roots. The coolant temp sensor plug is a good example. If something gets broken a trip to the junkyards import section may be fruitful. Just don't step on the common rail pressure sensor; that one will be difficult to find out in the wild.

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Ugh had a short load to Altoona pa today, 30 miles from the delivery going up a hill, the transmission downshifted and boom there went the turbo......

Pulled over to the side of the road and was hoping just a hose popped off but no such luck. Limped the truck to my delivery, when I left there the smoke was really bad, glad it let loose on the exhaust side and not the intake side.

I guess I will find out if that used turbo I bought from eBay is any good, the linkage was frozen, hope that was why it was replaced. Might be the best $200 I ever spent.....

Status
Not open for further replies.