New Here

Remo

New Recruit
Hello,

I am new to the forum and interested in entering the expedited freight industry. I have been doing some research over the past year and I am interested in a couple of the carriers on this forum. I recently attended an expediter workshop a couple months back and plan to attend the expedite expo later this month. I am interested in becoming a fleet owner, starting with one truck and building a fleet. A little background on myself, I recently graduated college with my bachelor degree, I have been driving for a couple years now, my experience is mainly with cube vans and straight trucks (flatbed and box), running locally. My ideal carrier would also have local opportunities for me as I would like to run locally as my driver runs OTR. If not, I do have a good local job at the moment but, I would like to give my full attention to growing my business with whichever carrier I sign on with. I have been lurking on this forum for quite a while now so it's about time that I join. Anyways, I look forward to reading more and picking your brains as I move forward with pursuing this goal. So far this website has been a great resource for me.

-Remo

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Is the college degree something that will help you run the business? How much experience do you have in the industry from the non-driving side?

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
Remo;
Welcome to the Expedite World. SE Michigan is a great location for this industry. Research your carriers and emulate some of the great fleet owners in our industry. Ask many questions. One of the biggest pieces of advice in starting a business is to take the time to put in place policies, procedures and finances prior to "opening" your doors. Good luck with your new venture.

Remo

New Recruit
Is the college degree something that will help you run the business? How much experience do you have in the industry from the non-driving side?

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I understand the concept that being a successful fleet owner or o/o is easier said than done. In regards to my college degree yes, I feel that it is something that will help me run my business. In my opinion college teaches more than just what one reads in a textbook or masters on an exam. It taught me how to meet deadlines, how to better work with others, how to evaluate and solve problems, and how to sell yourself to perspective customers or employers. In addition my college was very trucking oriented, many of my instructors worked on the truckload side of the industry. I am not saying that I know everything about this business, I will be the first to admit that I do have a lot to learn. Which is why I have found resources like this forum. I

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
One thing you'll find is the more you learn about this business, the more there is to learn about this business. You learn one thing and it suddenly opens your eyes up to those 34 things over there you need to earn about.

jjtdrv4u

Expert Expediter
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I understand the concept that being a successful fleet owner or o/o is easier said than done. In regards to my college degree yes, I feel that it is something that will help me run my business. In my opinion college teaches more than just what one reads in a textbook or masters on an exam. It taught me how to meet deadlines, how to better work with others, how to evaluate and solve problems, and how to sell yourself to perspective customers or employers. In addition my college was very trucking oriented, many of my instructors worked on the truckload side of the industry. I am not saying that I know everything about this business, I will be the first to admit that I do have a lot to learn. Which is why I have found resources like this forum. I
very good reply, it shows a good college education, and good luck to you in all your future endeavors.