Big Truck I work on Hino trucks. I'll answer any questions I know the answers to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

diamondd

New Recruit
I new h
I sent you a pm.
I don't know if relay comes on with the switch I will check fuses with test light I put my snap -on scanner solus pro went to globle OBDll . Went to display trouble codes got p2002 Particulate Trap Efficiency Trap Threshold Bank 1 don't know what that means . little screan on dash says turbo check DPR mantance what ever that is and this morning I went through that says same thing and flashing red saying warning engine . And engine light still on. IF YOU thank it will be alright to drive 30-40 minutes down road like to bring it to you if don't mind

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
I new h

I don't know if relay comes on with the switch I will check fuses with test light I put my snap -on scanner solus pro went to globle OBDll . Went to display trouble codes got p2002 Particulate Trap Efficiency Trap Threshold Bank 1 don't know what that means . little screan on dash says turbo check DPR mantance what ever that is and this morning I went through that says same thing and flashing red saying warning engine . And engine light still on. IF YOU thank it will be alright to drive 30-40 minutes down road like to bring it to you if don't mind
You're experiencing a failure to regen. There are many causes. Some are fairly inexpensive, some are not. If there is soot in the tailpipe, the dpf is already damaged and you can't hurt it any more than it already is. If the tailpipe is clean, you can attempt to limp it in.

How long has this problem been going on?

diamondd

New Recruit
just since yesterday that I know of never seen engine light before just got hino bought it at 219256 miles put 2000 on it now this please help if you can I know nothing about hino told they were great trucks last for 700.000 to 900,000 if I kept mantance like oil & fuel & trans filters & fliud changed . Just went looked at tail pipe it is clean no soot

Uncle B

New Recruit
I just bought a 2008 Hino 185 via online auction knowing it had transmission issues - only reverse and no forward gears. A little research showed multiple of the common Allison transmissions rebuilt for $1-2k so no big deal. Now that I have the truck and dropped the transmission, it is the Aisin with the parking brake bolted directly to the rear output. I'm told I have antifreeze mixed with the oil and it will be $6-10k to repair (even with me doing the R&R). The cooler lines seem to run from the transmission directly into the bottom of the main radiator so I assume I need a new rad as well. Is there an Allison that I can swap out to or am I pretty much stuck with the Aisin? If so, I see a few rebuilt Aisins but none from a Hino - is there any that might cross over? An experienced mechanic I am not BTW.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
I just bought a 2008 Hino 185 via online auction knowing it had transmission issues - only reverse and no forward gears. A little research showed multiple of the common Allison transmissions rebuilt for $1-2k so no big deal. Now that I have the truck and dropped the transmission, it is the Aisin with the parking brake bolted directly to the rear output. I'm told I have antifreeze mixed with the oil and it will be $6-10k to repair (even with me doing the R&R). The cooler lines seem to run from the transmission directly into the bottom of the main radiator so I assume I need a new rad as well. Is there an Allison that I can swap out to or am I pretty much stuck with the Aisin? If so, I see a few rebuilt Aisins but none from a Hino - is there any that might cross over? An experienced mechanic I am not BTW.
Some of the 4-banger trucks came with allisons, so its certainly possible. But it's going to involve changes in wiring harnesses, parking brakes, driveshafts, etc. You'd want a donor truck. Buying everything separately will cost more than the 6-10k you're currently facing.

The Aisin is not a bad transmission, but careful installation is key. If carelessly installed, the torque converter snout breaks off and tears the pump bushings out. The pump is $600, if you can find one.

Weller used to reman Aisin, but Jasper bought that portion of the business. We'll see how that goes.

I don't know what crosses and what doesn't.

Uncle B

New Recruit
Some of the 4-banger trucks came with allisons, so its certainly possible. But it's going to involve changes in wiring harnesses, parking brakes, driveshafts, etc. You'd want a donor truck. Buying everything separately will cost more than the 6-10k you're currently facing.

The Aisin is not a bad transmission, but careful installation is key. If carelessly installed, the torque converter snout breaks off and tears the pump bushings out. The pump is $600, if you can find one.

Weller used to reman Aisin, but Jasper bought that portion of the business. We'll see how that goes.

I don't know what crosses and what doesn't.
I'll get the tranny with the TC in place already then. Any tips / torque specs for lining up the flex plate bolts and the torque converter?

nedispatch

New Recruit
hi
I bought a 09 Hino 268, in the op manual it shows that you can set a speed limit through the info display but I can not get to that option. Any ideas how to do that.?

thanks

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
hi
I bought a 09 Hino 268, in the op manual it shows that you can set a speed limit through the info display but I can not get to that option. Any ideas how to do that.?

thanks
Are you trying to set a maximum vehicle speed? If so, that will have to be done with Hino DX or DXII software. It's an option set within a customization menu in the ecu. This ensures that it can't be overridden by whoever is driving.

I don't have an owner's manual handy, so I'm not 100% sure what it's suggesting.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
I'll get the tranny with the TC in place already then. Any tips / torque specs for lining up the flex plate bolts and the torque converter?
There are two dowel pins between the bellhousing and trans. The HAVE to both be in there. Also, the torque converter's snout and the six mounting pads need molybdenum disulfide paste applied to the surface. The paste keeps the metal layers from shifting against each other, wearing the metal and forming stress risers. The flex plate will crack if this starts to happen.

Absent on the 05-08 trucks is a pair of brackets that bolt to the bottom of the block and bolt into the engine bellhousing. These were added to stiffen the bellhousing. I highly recommend ordering these brackets and all of the hardware. Have the parts guy look up the 09 version of your truck. You'll need to chase the threads on all of these holes since there has never been a fastener in them, and they will be rusted.

Remove the flexplate and flywheel. Look for chafing and metal loss between the two. Replace if there's evidence of this. You might even want the flexplate magnafluxed to make sure there are no cracks.

There are supposed to be a couple of stiffener brackets on the outside of the Aisin case, extending to the bellhousing bolts. These need to exist, too.

It wouldn't hurt to mount a dial indicator to the flywheel and check the concentricity of the bellhousing and the flatness of the mounting surface.

Nothing special is needed to align the bolt holes between the flexplate and torque converter.

Torque converter bolts 47-58 lb/ft
Bellhousing 32-38
Flywheel 137, loosen them all, then torque again to 137 (I think they're just being sadistic at this point)

Generally speaking, truck transmissions are zapped into place with an impact and no one bats an eye. After seeing a Weller reman scatter in less than a year, we've done a bunch of digging into the cause and Hino released some TSBs on Aisin installation. These steps have cured the problem. Then these steps were applied to some local Isuzus that had similar failures (completely different design of flexplate, same exact type of failure with the same damage done to the transmission).

upload_2015-7-8_21-11-43.png

Uncle B

New Recruit
There are two dowel pins between the bellhousing and trans. The HAVE to both be in there. Also, the torque converter's snout and the six mounting pads need molybdenum disulfide paste applied to the surface. The paste keeps the metal layers from shifting against each other, wearing the metal and forming stress risers. The flex plate will crack if this starts to happen.

Absent on the 05-08 trucks is a pair of brackets that bolt to the bottom of the block and bolt into the engine bellhousing. These were added to stiffen the bellhousing. I highly recommend ordering these brackets and all of the hardware. Have the parts guy look up the 09 version of your truck. You'll need to chase the threads on all of these holes since there has never been a fastener in them, and they will be rusted.

Remove the flexplate and flywheel. Look for chafing and metal loss between the two. Replace if there's evidence of this. You might even want the flexplate magnafluxed to make sure there are no cracks.

There are supposed to be a couple of stiffener brackets on the outside of the Aisin case, extending to the bellhousing bolts. These need to exist, too.

It wouldn't hurt to mount a dial indicator to the flywheel and check the concentricity of the bellhousing and the flatness of the mounting surface.

Nothing special is needed to align the bolt holes between the flexplate and torque converter.

Bellhousing 32-38
Flywheel 137, loosen them all, then torque again to 137 (I think they're just being sadistic at this point)

Generally speaking, truck transmissions are zapped into place with an impact and no one bats an eye. After seeing a Weller reman scatter in less than a year, we've done a bunch of digging into the cause and Hino released some TSBs on Aisin installation. These steps have cured the problem. Then these steps were applied to some local Isuzus that had similar failures (completely different design of flexplate, same exact type of failure with the same damage done to the transmission).

View attachment 11492

Perfect. Thanks, I'll be careful to do that when the new tranny comes. When taking the old rad off (I assumed I need a new one due to the antifreeze in the transmission oil) I noticed the orange hose to the air to air had oil residue. I figured 'uh oh, turbo too', but when I took the air box off and looked into the turbo I noticed two lines about 1" diameter coming off of it. I followed the one over to a black container with a cap on. Inside the container after taking the 1/4 turn cap off is an oil soaked filter. Is this right or is my turbo pooched (and more?)? What is the purpose of this filter?

Uncle B

New Recruit

Bellhousing 32-38

View attachment 11492
Also, should I put nickel anti-seize or Loctite or something on the bolts into the flexplate and bell housing? Is there an easier way to turn the flywheel to line up the flex plate bolts to the TC than the big torx type bolts on the crank pulley?

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Perfect. Thanks, I'll be careful to do that when the new tranny comes. When taking the old rad off (I assumed I need a new one due to the antifreeze in the transmission oil) I noticed the orange hose to the air to air had oil residue. I figured 'uh oh, turbo too', but when I took the air box off and looked into the turbo I noticed two lines about 1" diameter coming off of it. I followed the one over to a black container with a cap on. Inside the container after taking the 1/4 turn cap off is an oil soaked filter. Is this right or is my turbo pooched (and more?)? What is the purpose of this filter?
That's a coalescent filter. It helps condense oil vapor back into a liquid and helps it return to the crankcase.
Imagine what it would look like without that in there!

You can pretty much always expect to see oil in the orange hose, either from crankcase ventilation or from the turbo itself. The turbos seem to pass a little oil, and that's considered normal. The spooge from the crankcase makes it look a hell of a lot worse than it actually is.

Yes,replace the radiator. Another forum member bought a new radiator off eBay from a seller called radiators r us, out of Des Moines. He reports that it looks identical to OEM, it may even be from an OEM supplier (don't know), and it was half the price of the dealer. $400 instead of almost a grand.

Last edited:

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Also, should I put nickel anti-seize or Loctite or something on the bolts into the flexplate and bell housing? Is there an easier way to turn the flywheel to line up the flex plate bolts to the TC than the big torx type bolts on the crank pulley?
Engine oil on the flywheel bolts. Nothing should be needed for the bellhousing, but blue loctite never hurt anything.

The crank pulley bolts are 12 point 17mm (pretty sure it's 17 and not 19). If Im doing it myself, I turn the crank pulley from the bottom. If I have help, I get them to turn the alternator with a ratchet and 15/16 socket.

KBob44

New Recruit
I have 2008 Hino 268. The radio has gone bad. So I bought one from Advanced. I am looking for a wiring diagram on the hino.....Any help

Status
Not open for further replies.