problems with my portable A/C

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Cant think of how the inverter section would be affected, unless a capacitor or three is drifting out of spec. The engine may be losing power. A valve adjustment might be a good place to start.
Ring in piston is leaking...i get gas in the oil and have to change it more often....just trying to baby it thru...

Reactions: ntimevan

DST001

Expert Expediter
Well I'm going to take greasy T-shirt s advice my Honda is only 4 months old I have a 2 year warranty with it I'll bring it to the dealer and let them tinker with it on Friday I doubt I'll get anything with the USA July 4th Holliday

ttruck

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
For some reason I'm having a problem with my 10,000 but AC I'm powering it with a Honda eu2000 the ac starts up and then after 3-4 minutes it quits on all settings hi med and low. I have used this unit before with no problems and of course it won't work when I'm in Tennessee and its 90 ℉ out any thoughts. I checked the Cord no cracks or slices I'm stumped
had the same problem once it was the generator,they draw about 13 amps on startup this puts a big draw on the gen. I changed generator and cured problem

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If his genny is running right that would be no problem. The honda can handle more draw than that.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
From the Honda Page...

http://powerequipment.honda.com/generators/generator-how-much-power#Starting

We are aware the NEW Honda models about 3 yers ago were down graded in the amperage department.....13 amps is the limit now...and we are talking the 2000 model....

That 13 amp draw is real close to the limit...

AC Output 120V 2000W max. (16.7A) 1600W rated (13.3A)

Honda recommends to use only 80% of rated value or the 1600W the user manual states not to use the full 2000W for extended periods of time.

to quote....

My appliance is a 1000 watt model, but it takes 1600 watts to run it. Why?
Some devices are labeled or promoted with a power number. For example, a hair dryer might say "1000W." This means the hair dryer itself produces 1000 watts of heat energy. But the amount the hair dryer uses from a power outlet is always more than it produces in heat. This is because the device’s energy use is not 100% efficient.

Another example is a microwave oven. It may be marketed as "1100 watt oven" and indeed produce 1100 watts of cooking power, but it will require more than that from a generator.

Last edited:

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
That stinks but it still should be able to handle 13 amp when the compressor kicks in. That only lasts a few seconds. It's suprising with the competition out their today they aren't doing better than that.
Yamaha is looking better all the time.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
That stinks but it still should be able to handle 13 amp when the compressor kicks in. That only lasts a few seconds. It's suprising with the competition out their today they aren't doing better than that.
I just changed the oil on mine today....face plate says 13.3 amps.

ysracer

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator

I have a Yamaha 2400ishc and it's fantastic. Bigger and heavier than the various 2,000 watt options but, still manageable.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
My first Honda was great...till they changed ..

Xiggi...I see that.... the plate is contrary or very confusing..... to what the web site says....

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My 2000 was 2 years old it handled my ac fine but I don't know what the spec on it said. It still stinks they changed them.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
My 2000 was 2 years old it handled my ac fine but I don't know what the spec on it said. It still stinks they changed them.
The new one, WAS handling it till I picked up a seal leak in the piston and gas gets in the oil and waters it down.....I am thinking the reduced compression has something to do with how much power out put there is to the inverter...when I put fresh oil everything is fine for awhile until it dilutes....
The model 10,000 btu only had a 9 something amp output....as to where this 8,000 btu has like a 7.8 amp

bubblehead

Veteran Expediter
The new one, WAS handling it till I picked up a seal leak in the piston and gas gets in the oil and waters it down.....I am thinking the reduced compression has something to do with how much power out put there is to the inverter...when I put fresh oil everything is fine for awhile until it dilutes....
The model 10,000 btu only had a 9 something amp output....as to where this 8,000 btu has like a 7.8 amp
How many hours on it when you noticed the oil leak?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
How many hours on it when you noticed the oil leak?
I haven't a clue...I use it a lot....1st went the same way after about 4 years...wouldn't start, no compression...but we are talking many. many hours.....

I also use my Honda here at home...throw it in back of pickup for power to the chain saw...