And the bigotry continues

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Some have faced those things, many have not.

Some women have been raped. I have not, but should I assume it can't & won't ever happen to me? Should I not object to sexual assault because I haven't personally been a victim?

Reactions: Windsor

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Some women have been raped. I have not, but should I assume it can't & won't ever happen to me? Should I not object to sexual assault because I haven't personally been a victim?
No you should not assume it won't ever happen to you, nor should you refrain from objecting to it because you haven't personally been a victim. By the same token, you should make yourself and every other woman a victim simply because it happens to a some women, which is exactly what you did with gays in Post #12.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Why not? Just a rhetorical question, considering they have no problem coming into straight establishments of all kinds and expect to not only be served, but also be treated with respect and dignity.
And why shouldn't they be?!
The gays who don't define themselves by their sexuality are treated with respect and dignity. It's the ones who are all up in your face about their sexuality, who define who they are by flaunting deviant sexual behavior (deviant, abnormal, nonstandard, atypical, irregular, uncommon, unorthodox, pick one, doesn't matter), that aren't treated with respect or dignity. Gays want to be treated as normal people, but normal people don't flaunt their sexual behavior, and those few straight people who do aren't treated with respect or dignity, either.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Using this rationale, if the sign says " no blacks, Jews, Irish, etc. " , that would be OK? Sorry no.

Saying no gays is pure bigotry, plain and simple.

And like I said, the market will fix it. Using the government to fix problems has a serious impact upon liberty... what little we have left. The consequences of what you're advocating are more broad than just the little conquest of gays being able to go where they're not welcome.

BTW, would you eat at a restaurant where you know the owners hate white people? I would rather their bigotry be out in the open, on a big sign, than hidden behind the spittle and urine they would put on what they're selling.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Guess again. That "license" isn't to convey any benefits. It's a tax collected by the issuer. It's just not called a tax because that's a bad word. The left figured out long ago that calling things what they are, when those things are no good, is a bad idea. That's why they call the business tax a business license. Like how they don't say discrimination. Eww, bad, evil thing. They call it affirmative action instead.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
It's not about property rights [try erecting a structure on your property and get educated on what those rights don't include, lol], it's about being licensed to serve the public. The license conveys benefits, in return for which there are obligations, including serving all the public.
If it's ok to intrude one's religious beliefs while on the job, how about if doctors and nurses do it? Firefighters? Cops? Postal workers? Bank tellers? Loan originators? Hot dog sellers at the stadium?

It's not about property rights? When the government tells an individual how to run his business, he gets neither property rights, nor individual rights. What of the neo-nazi group wanting a Jewish deli to cater its meeting? Or a KKK group wanting a soulfood restaurant to cater theirs? Without the ability to determine whom you want as customers, then is the business really yours?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
It's not about property rights? When the government tells an individual how to run his business, he gets neither property rights, nor individual rights. What of the neo-nazi group wanting a Jewish deli to cater its meeting? Or a KKK group wanting a soulfood restaurant to cater theirs? Without the ability to determine whom you want as customers, then is the business really yours?
Catering is different. That's commissioned or contract work, each by special request. You do not have to accept all job offers in catering. Most catering services simply couldn't even if they wanted to, so they must pick and choose which jobs they can do. The Jewish deli doesn't have to cater the neo-Nazi's event, but if the neo-Nazis enter the deli and order off the menu, the deli is obligated to fill the order.

If you want to know what it's like to be discriminated against, buy a Sprinter and then call a random mechanic and see if they'll replace the water pump in it. It's just a water pump, nothing special. As soon as you say "Sprinter" half of them will cuss you out and hang up on you. :D

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
No you should not assume it won't ever happen to you, nor should you refrain from objecting to it because you haven't personally been a victim. By the same token, you should make yourself and every other woman a victim simply because it happens to a some women, which is exactly what you did with gays in Post #12.

Every woman is a potential victim for such attacks, and it colors our perceptions and behaviors in ways you never have to think about. [Remember all the women drivers who won't even get out of the truck at night, or at a rest area?]
Every gay person has to consider the potential for being attacked, just for being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Straight white males have no idea how privileged they are, sometimes. :rolleyes:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
The gays who don't define themselves by their sexuality are treated with respect and dignity. It's the ones who are all up in your face about their sexuality, who define who they are by flaunting deviant sexual behavior (deviant, abnormal, nonstandard, atypical, irregular, uncommon, unorthodox, pick one, doesn't matter), that aren't treated with respect or dignity. Gays want to be treated as normal people, but normal people don't flaunt their sexual behavior, and those few straight people who do aren't treated with respect or dignity, either.

If you'll note, I said gays who are behaving in much the same way as other patrons. If they're acting all flaming drama queen, then throw them out. Same goes for the Miley Cyrus wannabees.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Guess again. That "license" isn't to convey any benefits. It's a tax collected by the issuer. It's just not called a tax because that's a bad word. The left figured out long ago that calling things what they are, when those things are no good, is a bad idea. That's why they call the business tax a business license. Like how they don't say discrimination. Eww, bad, evil thing. They call it affirmative action instead.

It wasn't a guess: the license conveys numerous benefits, such as a health/safety inspection, assurances to the public of safety and standards. The same as a medical license indicates standards met, it's a benefit to the holder.
The left is nowhere near as bad as the far right when it comes to lying about what something is. Take, for example, "Crisis pregnancy centers". They don't do or refer anyone for pregnancy terminations - their sole purpose is anti abortion. But they advertise under Pregnancy Terminations in the Yellow Pages, [!] and refuse to discuss anything on the phone - they insist the women come in for an appt, in person. Then they attempt to persuade them that terminating their pregnancy will make them feel bad, later, and maybe increase the risk of infertility, too. Lies, start to finish.
And my favorite: anti abortion protesters calling themselves "sidewalk counselors" - uh huh. :mad:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Every woman is a potential victim for such attacks, and it colors our perceptions and behaviors in ways you never have to think about. [Remember all the women drivers who won't even get out of the truck at night, or at a rest area?]
Every gay person has to consider the potential for being attacked, just for being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Already agreed to. But there is a chasm of difference between everyone being a potential victim and everyone being an actual victim, a chasm which you seamlessly bridged. Just because your perceptions and behaviors are colored by your own thoughts doesn't make you a victim of anything other than your own self-inflicted injuries.

Straight white males have no idea how privileged they are, sometimes. :rolleyes:
Oh, we know. We know it because most of that privilege has been taken away in one form or another, mostly by the feminists who make lists of things they don't like about straight white males and therefore have defined straight white male privilege. Straight white male privilege is an invention of feminists and doesn't really even exist, but even in the realm of the fantasy, it doesn't exist as a result of a concerted effort of men to attain it. It exists in the form of the privilege of a short morning routine, of having a gender that confers authority, of having easy access to a bathroom even when no bathroom is present, and the privilege of being accused of sexual harassment when engaging in innocent flirting.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
If you'll note, I said gays who are behaving in much the same way as other patrons. If they're acting all flaming drama queen, then throw them out. Same goes for the Miley Cyrus wannabees.
If you'll note, you asked, "And why shouldn't they be?!" with an exclamation point and everything! And that was the totality of your response. And I gave you an answer.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I would rather their bigotry be out in the open, on a big sign, than hidden behind the spittle and urine they would put on what they're selling.
no-colored-allowed-black-americana-cast-iron-sign-10x4_220665307171.jpg

whitesonly.jpg

You would rather go back to this? Wow!!!!

My business, my decision.
If only it was that simple.

Reactions: RLENT

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
no-colored-allowed-black-americana-cast-iron-sign-10x4_220665307171.jpg

whitesonly.jpg

You would rather go back to this? Wow!!!!

If only it was that simple.

Sorry, I don't look at the emotional outrage, which is constantly fueled by things like the Stars and Bars. I look at the bigger picture; this being liberty. Yes, some toes maybe stepped on; but like I said, it'll even itself out without the hand of the federal government forcing it along with regulation.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Catering is different. That's commissioned or contract work, each by special request. You do not have to accept all job offers in catering. Most catering services simply couldn't even if they wanted to, so they must pick and choose which jobs they can do. The Jewish deli doesn't have to cater the neo-Nazi's event, but if the neo-Nazis enter the deli and order off the menu, the deli is obligated to fill the order.

If you want to know what it's like to be discriminated against, buy a Sprinter and then call a random mechanic and see if they'll replace the water pump in it. It's just a water pump, nothing special. As soon as you say "Sprinter" half of them will cuss you out and hang up on you. :D

Then why was the baker forced to pay 6 figures for not making a cake for a gay wedding? That's contract work. At the same time, that's a state law that brought about that verdict. If you don't like the state's laws, move. We don't really have that option on a federal law.

JohnWC

Veteran Expediter
What I don't understand is when I go some where that I can tell I'm not welcome it might be my race,length of my hair or my beard . I don't :censoredsign: or cry . I just go spend my hard earned money some where else.