Cargo Van Dodge ProMaster

rikd57

Seasoned Expediter
I'm debating between PM or 2015 Sprinter. Im on Promaster Forum a lot, reading almost every think I can.

But let me ask you one thing, why low roof ?

Warning: Sprinters are very expensive on maintenance. In addition, when you need repairs, it often takes more than a week to get parts.

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yes, just bought new tires for my Sprinter, same size from discount tire, $79 each, cheapest E range tire I have ever seen.

Were they the GT brand, if so Ive got about 70K on mine will be needing new tires before long at 6 and 5 on the tire tread depth.

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Were they the GT brand, if so Ive got about 70K on mine will be needing new tires before long at 6 and 5 on the tire tread depth.

Yes gt salvero I think they were. I had purchased 2 of them early last year and had over 100k on them splitting time between the front and back.

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
Yes gt salvero I think they were. I had purchased 2 of them early last year and had over 100k on them splitting time between the front and back.

That's pretty good for that kind of price. How are they on snow and ice.
I have Michelins with 110000 and plenty of tread still left. But at about $200 plus per tire, if the handling is about the same then yours would be the way to go.

Pro3500

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Been awhile for updates. Anyone following my problems with flex plates some interesting things. At about 94000 I started getting noise coming from the transmission. They replaced a final drive, bearings and a gear inside.Not all at the same time, replace one part drive it still there replace another drive it still there finally said the transmission was full of metal and needs to be replaced. Repair has to be 70% of the cost of new to replace. They put in a re-manufactured transmission that came with another 100,000 mile warranty. (thumbs up). Drove it 10 miles had a noise when taking off. Called the rep he said drive it a couple days if it's still doing it take it back. Had a run from Syracuse to Rhode Island. Dead headed back didn't think I was going to make it the noise was so loud. Fast forward dealer called all fixed again. The flex plate broke and a bolt was rubbing on something (block). I'm thinking they didn't torque the bolts right (AGAIN) and the new converter came lose on the flex plate. My concern now is what was that bolt rubbing on? Had to be the block. He said it had debris in the cover for the flex plate. I asked what he meant by that he didn't have an answer. So I'm going to send a scope up behind the flex plate and see if my block is chewed up. 3 flex plates one torque converter (with second plate), one transmission with converter, one radiator and one coil. I think the first flex plate was a defect as I've seen some others with the same issue. (couple). The second one going on the what the dealer said was a bad repair. The transmission I have no idea what caused that I don't run heavy and I'm not heavy footed. The last flex plate sounds like another bad repair. The dealers are costing me more than the manufacture. FYI if you have a transmission replaced take the reman. A rebuilt comes with a 30,000 mile, a new one comes with 60,000 mile and the reman comes with a 100,000. And they did NOT tell me that in advance.

Reactions: scottm4211

Pro3500

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Been awhile for updates. Anyone following my problems with flex plates some interesting things. At about 94000 I started getting noise coming from the transmission. They replaced a final drive, bearings and a gear inside.Not all at the same time, replace one part drive it still there replace another drive it still there finally said the transmission was full of metal and needs to be replaced. Repair has to be 70% of the cost of new to replace. They put in a re-manufactured transmission that came with another 100,000 mile warranty. (thumbs up). Drove it 10 miles had a noise when taking off. Called the rep he said drive it a couple days if it's still doing it take it back. Had a run from Syracuse to Rhode Island. Dead headed back didn't think I was going to make it the noise was so loud. Fast forward dealer called all fixed again. The flex plate broke and a bolt was rubbing on something (block). I'm thinking they didn't torque the bolts right (AGAIN) and the new converter came lose on the flex plate. My concern now is what was that bolt rubbing on? Had to be the block. He said it had debris in the cover for the flex plate. I asked what he meant by that he didn't have an answer. So I'm going to send a scope up behind the flex plate and see if my block is chewed up. 3 flex plates one torque converter (with second plate), one transmission with converter, one radiator and one coil. I think the first flex plate was a defect as I've seen some others with the same issue. (couple). The second one going on the what the dealer said was a bad repair. The transmission I have no idea what caused that I don't run heavy and I'm not heavy footed. The last flex plate sounds like another bad repair. The dealers are costing me more than the manufacture. FYI if you have a transmission replaced take the reman. A rebuilt comes with a 30,000 mile, a new one comes with 60,000 mile and the reman comes with a 100,000. And they did NOT tell me that in advance.
Picked up the van and now they are saying there was not a bolt rubbing on anything. The debris they found was from the flywheel a piece broke off. He's not sure why they told me a bolt was rubbing on something. Maybe too cover there own butt? Good news if any is the flex plate and torque converter are covered under the new transmission warranty so the next one will be covered.

schwanman

Expert Expediter
Took my promaster 2500 into dealership for engine clicking noise. They knew what it was as soon as they heard it. They had just done one at 150,000. Camshaft, all lifters, followers, phasers, and oil control valves. (maybe a engine guy on here can explain followers and phasers?) After Mopar Fleet Customer Care involvement $700 out of pocket.
Also replaced vanco continental tires at 196,437. Hopefully this will help with any other promaster vans with engine clicking noise.

Reactions: Pro3500

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Do I remember someone saying Sprinter killer?
Lol...90 % of drivers I have talked to are very happy...50,000 to 200,000 mile range ....people hauling 3500 to 4000 lbs. constantly in the Big Problems group ....
Abuse your Van ... pay bigtime to repair Van...
As stated on EO many times the Sprinter ,NV , Promasters , and Transits WERE NOT Made for the Expedite business ...

schwanman

Expert Expediter
I agree with you ntimevan 100%. That's why i was surprised to find out what the noise was. All 4 camshafts were replaced to correct problem. Also found out on promaster forum that this engine does not have lifters. Not sure why they put in the description of service on invoice? When checking thru parts on invoice no lifters.

trobertson

Rookie Expediter
I've got one with about 150,000 miles on it...so far we changed the oil and replaced the tires.
A 2013 Sprinter with like mileage cost me more that $15K at that mileage.
So far I really like the vehicle. Ours are LWB high roof 3500's.
Hope this helps!

Tom Robertson
A. Blair Enterprises, Inc.
Louisville, KY.

Pro3500

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't run heavy 2-300 lbs average. I do take an occasional load in the 2000 lb range but it's rare. I think most of my problems are caused by the dealer to be honest. After I picked mine up the last time the rep called and said he made a mistake in the warranty. The remand tranny is under warranty until the clock hits 100,000 miles. If I replaced it after 100,000 it comes with a new warranty. So another 3500 miles and I'm out of warranty. He did say that Chrysler is standing behind most expensive repairs way beyond 100,000 miles. He just helped an expediter with an engine replacement at 189,000. They covered 50% of the cost. This last repair failed because the mechanic either forgot to torque the torque converter bolts or didn't torque them correctly. I was looking everything over yesterday and found a bolt missing in the bell housing. You can see there was one there. Wires are not back in the clips and hanging down. Same guy left out the fill tube plug. Calling the rep Monday taking it too another dealer have them look it over. It's like dating a super model that's not really into sex. Keep taking her out hope for the best.

Pro3500

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
So after a new transmission, then back for a flywheel it seems another flywheel is broke. Same noise coming from the engine as before. 99,560 miles on it I call Ram. They say drive it into my drop off point and they will try to find a dealer that can get it in (don't worry about the miles). Lexington was the closet dealer can't get it in until August 10th. That won't work so they tried some dealers going north nothing happening for days. So I get it back home earliest date at a local dealer is a week off. Come home yesterday as I'm pulling in I see drippings under the van. Engine oil dripping out between the bell housing and block. As I suspected when the mysterious bolt was rubbing then it wasn't probably was after all. They replaced the plate on the back of the engine block when they did the flexplate. Something tore it up but they denied telling me on the phone that a bolt backed out and was rubbing making the clicking sound. Not sure but I think it may have cracked an oil galley. Had a noise in the new trans right from the start the dealer kept saying they don't hear it. It's so bad now I can feel it in the floor so hopefully they will feel it if they can't hear it. My issues are definitely dealer related. For some reason they can't seem to get the bolts to stay in. Now it's a wait and see and sit again. I think I have about 2,000 miles on the newest flywheel 4,000 on the new transmission. The good news this week is my wife doesn't have lung cancer as they thought. So the van can't get me down this week.