Road sick

techaholic

Rookie Expediter
I was doing local expediting here in Detroit and well the local trucks started exceeding loads so I just started going out of town 6-10 days at a time. Been doing it for a couple months now but the problem is I get home sick. Does that anxiety of being away from home go away after a while or is it just something that's not for me? Anyone with similar experience?

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Does that anxiety of being away from home go away after a while or is it just something that's not for me? Anyone with similar experience?
It depends on how severe that anxiety is. Does it have major impact on your job and your home life? Only you can determine if this type of job is right for you.

When I'm on the road I miss being home. After awhile at home, I miss the road. But that's just me. You have to find a balance that works for you and your loved ones at home. If you can't find that balance and maintain it, then maybe you should stay local.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
When you wear the expediter uniform so to speak, going home after 10 days is somewhat short for the job, maybe 3 weeks out is a nice cutoff, but when I was out there , lots of my loads came by the house, it was nice, but staying out 3 weeks should be easy imho. Hey , it can be a fun job, but I did not have kids or tons of responsibility, so it was really easy.

techaholic

Rookie Expediter
Ya I can see what you guys mean. I'm married with kids but when I'm home I miss the road. Just have to look for that balance