Taking offense at flags

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
The " Rainbow flag" why is it offensive and upsetting?

Because God promised it as a covenant with His people, in the Bible, so it was their symbol first.
That's what I read in a recent article, anyhow. As I don't believe in God, and I never heard anyone claim the rainbow as a Christian symbol [like the fish, which always tempts me to draw legs & feet on it, lol. But I never do, really!] I had no idea the rainbow was copyrighted, like. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Windsor

quadflyer1

Active Expediter
Because God promised it as a covenant with His people, in the Bible, so it was their symbol first.
That's what I read in a recent article, anyhow. As I don't believe in God, and I never heard anyone claim the rainbow as a Christian symbol [like the fish, which always tempts me to draw legs & feet on it, lol. But I never do, really!] I had no idea the rainbow was copyrighted, like. :rolleyes:

As I remind all who quote from,"God's word" it was written by men during a time when women were 1/2 a step above a slave. In fact a wife was traded as property. So as far as I'm cocerned they were at the same level or lower due to limited physical abilities.
And really, the rainbow flag is copyrighted? Shows how much I march with it.
Flags, fish or pink ribbons, isn't all about we live in a country that allows us to be comfortable in who we are as people and to stand together united because that's the prize?

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
What I think of God's word is that it was written by men who didn't know the Earth revolves around the sun, or that thunder, lightning, volcanoes, eclipses, etc, are natural phenomena, and so they invented 'explanations'. Conveniently, those explanations allowed them to control the believers [just like superstition!] so they made the effort to handwrite every single copy of the Bible and declare it the sacred Word. Believe, and you will be rewarded [after death - promise!], otherwise, you will roast in Hell for eternity. [Because they just know, right?]
I don't need the promise of a reward [on Tuesday, for a hamburger today] or the threat of eternal time as a rotisserie chicken to do what's right and avoid what's wrong. I behave with integrity because it's what I know to be right, and that's all the reward I need.
BTW: the 'copyrighted' rainbow flag thing was a joke, because if the Christians had claimed it as their own symbol, then it wouldn't be a surprise to people now.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
True story: the reason behind the superstition about breaking a mirror being 7 years bad luck. When the wealthy first began buying mirrors for their homes, they were extremely expensive. [Especially if shipped overseas, as in Colonial America]. Many homeowners found their servants or slaves could be really clumsy around the mirrors, and who could blame them for what was evidently an accident, when the mirrors got broken? After some discussion among themselves, the homeowners decided to use the ignorant folks' superstitious beliefs against them, and began explaining the curse of bad luck befalling those who broke a mirror. It wasn't a hard sell - everyone of them could recount something bad that happened soon after a mirror was broken. They were glad to know the cause of their bad luck, and the breakage came to a halt.
I think of that every time I read how the Bible says women are meant to obey men, lol. o_O

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
upload_2015-7-5_23-32-2.jpeg

I nominate this flag to replace the confederate flag. Besides its more modern and screams non-compliant independent, thought.

Don't be a Sheep.

Bob Wolf

Reactions: RLENT

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Cheri1122

Good points.
Hey, you have any info on finding a tombstone in your basement two weeks before Halloween and the possibility of your house being haunted?
I eventually found the family of the person named on the stone and gave it to them at the guys final resting place.

As far as the confederate flag is concerned lets not forget how many hate groups have hijacked it.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
View attachment 11479

I nominate this flag to replace the confederate flag. Besides its more modern and screams non-compliant independent, thought.

Don't be a Sheep.

Bob Wolf

You can't just replace the Confederate flag, it's a historical symbol. Many people [myself included] were surprised to learn that it's a symbol of oppression and racism to many other people, but since it is, it shouldn't be flown by the government. Nor should it be banned from private use or display, it falls under freedom of speech. Whether it says "racist" or "rebel" to you, it's your right to say it.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Regarding Christians' reference to rainbows.
But much like the Confederate Flag, the rainbow didn’t always stand for The Gay. This may come as a shock to some of you, but for a very long time it had a rather distinctly different meaning.

And God said, This is the token of the covenant which I make between me and you and every living creature that is with you, for perpetual generations: 13 I do set my bow in the cloud, and it shall be for a token of a covenant between me and the earth. 14 And it shall come to pass, when I bring a cloud over the earth, that the bow shall be seen in the cloud, 15 and I will remember my covenant, which is between me and you and every living creature of all flesh; and the waters shall no more become a flood to destroy all flesh. 16 And the bow shall be in the cloud; and I will look upon it, that I may remember the everlasting covenant between God and every living creature of all flesh that is upon the earth. 17 And God said unto Noah, This is the token of the covenant which I have established between me and all flesh that is upon the earth.

http://hotair.com/archives/2015/07/...rainbow-used-to-mean-something-different-too/