Anyone out there letting O/O's bid their own loads?

RoadSaint

Expert Expediter
The company I'm currently working with doesn't pay very high fsc rates. I'd need at least 17 cents per mile to cover fuel, and they only pay 10-21% of the total load in fsc. Since this company pays 75 cents per mile flat rate, that makes my maximum fsc 15.75 cents per mile at 21%(which is rare - it's normally a lower percent). (0.75*0.21=0.1575) So, it's currently not even possible for me to get an fsc that covers the cost of fuel.

RoadSaint

Expert Expediter
I run a Chevy 2500 with a v8. I average 15 mpg highway when not loaded. Often, CV loads are small, so I doubt most of them effect mileage much, but admittedly I haven't calculated that. If it DOES effect mileage more than I anticipate, then I'm even further away from paying for my fuel with the fsc.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
As mentioned fsc is not supposed to cover all your fuel. Some of us are lucky though. In the end like others I take total miles loaded and empty divided by total pay, load and fsc to figure out my true pay per mile.

Reactions: Bruno and ntimevan

jjtdrv4u

Expert Expediter
Oftentimes when stuck waiting for a load in texas, florida, the deep south, etc. one must choose to drop their rates to get moved out; sometimes around 50 cents per mile will do it; it beats deadheading home empty, and it pays your fuel and food costs...

Also, dispatchers are only human, especially the ones working for multi-carriers. Sometime they have dozens or even hundreds of vans they are working with (and they usually have another driver that will take the load), so, yes if one is picky or shows an attitude to these dispatchers, one might find themself on the outside looking in...it happens, this is not unlike one that is working for any of the big guys, and that one also finds themself at the bottom of the load board whenever one turns down a load...

It is too bad that all these drivers can not bid, book, and dispatch their own loads, it would save millions in all the dispatcher pay! lol!

jjtdrv4u

Expert Expediter
Leaving laredo , florida or anywhere else for 50 cents per mile is nothing but crazy and harmful to the industry but also completely unnecessary.
only if you drive for one of the big guys, but for everyone else, it is the real world...

jjtdrv4u

Expert Expediter
for example, say you have the good fortune not to be in laredo, and say the big guy you drive for, load 1 or whomever, does not have a van there, and they have a load picking up there, then they will put it out to bid on sylectus, and 100 bids will come in for it, low bid wins out, and the 50 cent bid is it; driver gets out of town, and the brokers and customers clean up...I know, it is the crazy, insane world we live in...and the business survives!

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
for example, say you have the good fortune not to be in laredo, and say the big guy you drive for, load 1 or whomever, does not have a van there, and they have a load picking up there, then they will put it out to bid on sylectus, and 100 bids will come in for it, low bid wins out, and the 50 cent bid is it; driver gets out of town, and the brokers and customers clean up...I know, it is the crazy, insane world we live in...and the business survives!
That's a really bad example because Load One doesn't just hand loads to the low bid. This isn't U-Ship or something. They give loads to carriers they know and trust (who have a high enough rating) and who are VIO verified (verification of the proper insurance). Also, Load One will often bump the percentage to 80, 90, even 100 percent of the load to the driver if that's what it takes to get the rate close to a dollar a mile.

What's crazy and insane are those crazy enough to take 50 cent loads out of Laredo because they are desperate enough, ignorant enough, or crazy enough to do it.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The only reason people bid 50 cents is because someone else is crazy enough to bid 55 cents. It's an own worst enemy thing. You might convince me in a cargo van that .70 is ok but 50 is ludicrous. Nothing personal it's just the truth and no the lowest bid does not always win.

I drive for load1, I have also drove for a smaller company and never left those places for .50. Even nlm loads can be secured for more.

jjtdrv4u

Expert Expediter
What's crazy and insane are those crazy enough to take 50 cent loads out of Laredo because they are desperate enough, ignorant enough, or crazy enough to do it.

happens every day, all the time, it ain't right, but it is real, lol

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
happens every day, all the time, it ain't right, but it is real, lol
Oh, I know it does. I've been parked next to people who were thrilled to get loaded for 50 and 60 cents (and one time for 45 cents). You can park at the J and almost point out which ones are gonna leave for cheap.

Reactions: vandriver2

jjtdrv4u

Expert Expediter
Oh, I know it does. I've been parked next to people who were thrilled to get loaded for 50 and 60 cents (and one time for 45 cents). You can park at the J and almost point out which ones are gonna leave for cheap.
yep, I pity the poor souls that drive for the bottomfeeders, and have to do this to keep from paying rent to the J...

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
yep, I pity the poor souls that drive for the bottomfeeders, and have to do this to keep from paying rent to the J...
I happen to be in Laredo at the moment. Delivered Sunday morning to Brownsville from Louisville, then yesterday had a load from Brownsville to Laredo (that paid way more than normal, I might add).

It's a good bet that I won't be driving out of here at anything less than 90 cents a mile. I'll go that low after a few days, depending on where the load is going.

mikedrives191

Rookie Expediter
Most 3PL's will drop a carrier for letting one of their drivers bid on loads. Also, carriers aren't going to give you the mother load by teaching you where to find all of the cargo van freight. They're not going to step up and train their future competition. You're better off not fooling with the smaller carriers and get yourself signed on with one of the bigger more reputable carriers. That's the only way you're going to stay busy these days!

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army

Generally we find the guys that will go that cheap are the non VOI certified multi carriers. We generally do not deal with them and have cut them all off from even seeing our freight. Now sometimes one slips through till we catch them as they become better and better at ways to fake or cheat the insurance system and game the system. When we cut all these carriers off it did effect our bottom line. BUT.....It is the right move. It moves more freight onto carriers that are doing it right. Not essentially the cheapest, but what we want is the best value. That means great service and insured and compliant, not the cheapest. These kind of carriers are not our competition but we look at them as valued partners. Strong partner carriers have always been part of our growth and success.

jjtdrv4u

Expert Expediter
Generally we find the guys that will go that cheap are the non VOI certified multi carriers. We generally do not deal with them and have cut them all off from even seeing our freight. Now sometimes one slips through till we catch them as they become better and better at ways to fake or cheat the insurance system and game the system. When we cut all these carriers off it did effect our bottom line. BUT.....It is the right move. It moves more freight onto carriers that are doing it right. Not essentially the cheapest, but what we want is the best value. That means great service and insured and compliant, not the cheapest. These kind of carriers are not our competition but we look at them as valued partners. Strong partner carriers have always been part of our growth and success.

sorry John, I just used you guys name as a hypothetical example, this just show that when people think of the "big guys", they always think of you guys, but next time, I will try to use another of the big guys hypothetically.

again, you guys are doing it right, and if I ever recommend anyone as a company to work with, you guys are always the first one mentioned, hats off to you all.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
sorry John, I just used you guys name as a hypothetical example, this just show that when people think of the "big guys", they always think of you guys, but next time, I will try to use another of the big guys hypothetically.

again, you guys are doing it right, and if I ever recommend anyone as a company to work with, you guys are always the first one mentioned, hats off to you all.

All good. I totally understand what you are saying and it is true. We are really trying hard to educate a few of the biggest carriers on what is going on and the risks. Sadly some seemed a little more concerned about quarterly earnings then the long term big picture. Now on the other hand a lot of the middle big carriers are getting it and changing the carriers they use. For example Nations Express offices changed their carrier base for the better today.

Reactions: Ferris Bueller