Commercial insurance for sprinter

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
For me I had to go thru Progressive Commercial....CIS is not licensed for SD.....Progressive leans hard on credit rating and watch your REPLACEMENT vehicle rider....NOT to over pay...It worked out to roughly $1,000 on every $10,000 of replacement value...also keep in mind they have the option to scrap you out after 50% of assessed value then throw in the $1,000 deductable.....keep in mind if your van is paid off...you can opt out of the replacement rider...

HighTide

Active Expediter
Come on Einsteins as by Federal Laws under 10,000 lbs can be working and delivering while operating under 10,000 lbs without federal permits as long as the cargo is NOT in need of special permissions.
So we just need to be in line with commercial guidlines, extinguishers, traiangles ect to make them happy....IF you operate cleanly and not overweight or incorrect cargo NOTHING CAN BE DONE. ******* LEARN TO READ AND IT MIGHT MAKE YOU MORE MONEY. Now just read what vehicles need USDOT permits as IT DOES NOT SAY ALL COMMERCIAL VEHICLES.

As per our Federal UBERFUHRER:
Do I Need a USDOT Number?
What is a USDOT Number?

Companies that operate commercial vehicles transporting passengers or hauling cargo in interstate commerce must be registered with the FMCSA and must have a USDOT Number. Also, commercial intrastate hazardous materials carriers who haul quantities requiring a safety permit must register for a USDOT Number.

The USDOT Number serves as a unique identifier when collecting and monitoring a company's safety information acquired during audits, compliance reviews, crash investigations, and inspections.
Do I Need One?

You are required to obtain a USDOT number if you have a vehicle that:

Has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross combination weight rating, or gross vehicle weight or gross combination weight, of 4,536 kg (10,001 pounds) or more, whichever is greater; or
Is designed or used to transport more than 8 passengers (including the driver) for compensation; or
Is designed or used to transport more than 15 passengers, including the driver, and is not used to transport passengers for compensation; or
Is used in transporting material found by the Secretary of Transportation to be hazardous and transported in a quantity requiring placarding.

AND is involved in Interstate commerce:

Trade, traffic, or transportation in the United States—

Between a place in a State and a place outside of such State (including a place outside of the United States);
Between two places in a State through another State or a place outside of the United States; or
Between two places in a State as part of trade, traffic, or transportation originating or terminating outside the State or the United States.

You are required by FMCSA to obtain USDOT Number and comply with the Federal Regulations.

How to Comply with Federal Regulations

It is the responsibility of motor carrier operators and drivers to know and comply with all applicable Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations. Safety compliance and safe operations translate into saved lives and property. We believe the information in this package, when effectively applied, will contribute to safer motor carrier operations and highways.
- See more at: http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/registration/do-i-need-usdot-number#sthash.fBw2AFli.dpuf

Last edited by a moderator:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Come on Einsteins as by Federal Laws under 10,000 lbs can be working and delivering while operating under 10,000 lbs without federal permits as long as the cargo is NOT in need of special permissions.
Still have to have the proper insurance, though, if you obtained the load from a carrier or a broker.

sjp5030

Active Expediter
Does anyone know if the same 1 mil,100k cargo insurance would be ceaper in the State of Wisc. than the outrages ILL. coverage on a simple 3/4 tom van or a Sprinter say between 2006-2008 vehicle.
Clean record and one is paid off and other financed. This is progressive with local Agent . Also can a person have vehicle accident ins. and Commercial ins from 2 companies ?

Shane Richards

New Recruit
Driver
Hello fellas, i am about to do some LTL freight loads with a Sprinter Van soon. Is a profitable business, and how do you get the loads?