Phones Straight Talk

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Anyone using Straight Talk for a cell phone?
I am trying it out this month and it seems to work very well everywhere except Kentucky on I65.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Probably just a matter of who really owns the towers on 65. I decided to try out Sprint because I wasn't sure if Verizon would let me keep my plan. The service with Sprint has been surprisingly good, not as good as Verizon but their 4G coverage has been expanding and overall they could be a viable option for a driver that wanted unlimited data.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
You get what you pay for...in this business being able to make/receive calls is the lifeblood of your operation..

Sent from my DROID RAZR using EO Forums mobile app

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Keep in mind there is a Verizon option with straight talk. Or at least there was a couple of years ago. Throttled data sucks though. But $45 unl per month, hard to beat. IMO.
We're with Verizon. And pay a mint.
Anyone had any luck with AT&T on the road? I suspect signal is good enough by the interstates but I wonder about those remote areas.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
I am on the Verizon network.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using EO Forums mobile app

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
I am on the Verizon network.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using EO Forums mobile app

Not the full network ..limited tower access ..looked into Verizons per Paid. That's the why its cheaper..the ONLY place I have found I CAN NOT make a call from is a 12-15 stretch of 77 in WV
Big red X...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using EO Forums mobile app

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Not the full network ..limited tower access ..looked into Verizons per Paid. That's the why its cheaper..the ONLY place I have found I CAN NOT make a call from is a 12-15 stretch of 77 in WV
Big red X...

Well, that's not bad. Those areas are bad for everyone. I'm on Verizon's regular network and on occasion have those issues too. 64 in the WV hills. VA in the mountains around Bland, I think. NC close to the Ocoee. Some terrains are just not conducive to the quality cell experience we all love. And unless they triple the cell tower saturation in those areas, I'm guessing it's not going to change. Just my opinion, of course. I'm no cellular signal engineer.

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Verizon prepaid here. No service in Hagerstown MD, and usual blank spots in WV. Spotty at the J in Laredo. Other than that, pretty good :)

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
Straight talk sucks. I had it for 2 years because it was the best I could afford. AT&T has always been good to me, I've had it for a few year and it so much better. Verizon is good but doesn't work in my subdivision for whatever reason. Virgin mobile is a decent option unlimited talk and text for $35 a month

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
The problem with the Staraight Talk version that runs on Verizon towers is just the same problem that Verizon prepaid has. They will only work on Verizon towers, no roaming. As a result you don't have coverage on I65 in western Kentucky as soon as you leave Tennessee to almost Elizabethtown, I81 in MD and WV, I29 north of Kansas City, northern Noeth Carolina, etc. There are other areas with no coverage but these are the ones that bothered me the most. It would be nice if you could get the same coverage as a regular Verizon phone but you won't.

Check out the coverage here. Where you don't see purple, your Straight Talk phone will not work.
Coverage Locator

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
Sure there is. The problem is that there are huge chunks where there isn't. And it is not like you drive a few miles and you get your signal back. In the case of i65 in ky you have zero signal for 80+ miles.

Sent from my Galaxy S5

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
Keep in mind there is a Verizon option with straight talk. Or at least there was a couple of years ago. Throttled data sucks though. But $45 unl per month, hard to beat. IMO.
We're with Verizon. And pay a mint.
Anyone had any luck with AT&T on the road? I suspect signal is good enough by the interstates but I wonder about those remote areas.

We have AT&T for our phones and verizon for our mifi. At&t's phone service is every where, even if they have to use a competitors tower which is nice. In those areas though the data sucks. The verizon myfi is much faster and in a lot of places but not everywhere and if I can't surf the internet or watch a movie that's not as big a deal as not being able to take a phone call.

gotto_03801

Seasoned Expediter
I used strait talk and it sucked the tech support wasn't any better. my phone was a pile of crap and started to fall apart in 6 months and they could not figure out why. like others have said you get what you pay for. i'll stay with Verizon atleast I get usa support

TNJenn

Active Expediter
Anyone using Straight Talk for a cell phone?
I am trying it out this month and it seems to work very well everywhere except Kentucky on I65.
I know someone who works for t mobile and by the end of the year their network will be equal to or exceed Verizon's or att' s. 2 lines $100 unlimited data and if in a poor service area you can connect to wifi and make calls and text the same as if you are on their network. Any prepaid or sub carriers like straight talk cricket family mobile etc will have reduced coverage in comparison with the parent companies or the company they contract to use their network.

gotto_03801

Seasoned Expediter
I know someone who works for t mobile and by the end of the year their network will be equal to or exceed Verizon's or att' s. 2 lines $100 unlimited data and if in a poor service area you can connect to wifi and make calls and text the same as if you are on their network. Any prepaid or sub carriers like straight talk cricket family mobile etc will have reduced coverage in comparison with the parent companies or the company they contract to use their network.
are they gonna add more towers and expand out?? last time I heard T-Mobile wanted out of the states

TNJenn

Active Expediter
are they gonna add more towers and expand out?? last time I heard T-Mobile wanted out of the states
They are very strong here and growing exponentially monthly. They are consistently taking customers from the other carriers. Their top engineer is a genius and they are adding more and more towers and low end spectrum. We have five lines with them and went on vacation from Tennessee to southern California to northern California through Reno to Las Vegas back to tennessee had a few dead spots but even near area 51 we had 3g data.

Reactions: gotto_03801