Breaking down while on a load

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
OK. I wasn't in Minneapolis though. I might have gotten a rental there. I was in a little watering hole called Blue Earth.
The power-steering fluid had gelled up in the cold (never ever use Lucas power-steering stop-leak again) and that locked up both the power steering-- so the wheel could not be turned by any normal and possibly not even paranormal human-- and locked up the power-brake booster so no amount of standing on the pedal would apply the brakes. Fun. You can't steer and you can't stop.

Since then, the entire power steering/power brake system has been replaced, and the fluid shouldn't gel.

Now--- why does GM think it's a good idea to have both systems fed that way? I know other vans I've dealt with had vacuum boost for the brakes--- not hydraulic from the P/S pump. Two different systems so at least you have something.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Ummmm, isn't that a bit off topic? *** poke ***
Little bit. Had multiple instances open on the phone and it got sent to the wrong thread. I'll move it when I get the laptop back on. Sorry about that.

Deville

Not a Member
Why would u need help. Unless u don't have service, which u stated u did because u contacted the dispatch. You can google it with your phone. These dispatchers are a lot busier at work than a lot of us think so. Dispatching drivers while bidding on loads, while trying to keep up additional things that need to get done.

This was pre android/apple phone, so no google mobile, or any other real use able mobile search engine. I was still using map atlases when this happened. I was really on my own and whether dispatch was busy or not they left me out there to die. Also, spare me the hardships of a dispatcher. If they don't like their job or are bothered by the responsibilities that come with the job they can find another line of work.

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

GrassHopperr

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
This was pre android/apple phone, so no google mobile, or any other real use able mobile search engine. I was still using map atlases when this happened. I was really on my own and whether dispatch was busy or not they left me out there to die. Also, spare me the hardships of a dispatcher. If they don't like their job or are bothered by the responsibilities that come with the job they can find another line of work.
That's a whole another story. In that case thats messed up!!!!

Reactions: Deville