Promaster engine noise 3.6

tumbleweeds

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well its been a while since I posted anything. My Promaster now has 120K on it. Aside from the brakes being noisy (which has gotten better in the last couple months), the suspension which is still noisy and the occasional problem with the wipers quitting in a rain storm. Oh and changing headlights quite often (which is a real treat). It handles the freight without hesitation and climbs the hills and down through the dales with no complaints. Asking for the occasional oil change (Mobil 1) and new tires. (last month) Because of the extra height, length and width, it has enabled me to pickup extra loads others have had to pass on. Now I have a noise coming from the engine. It sounds like a lifter but this engine does not have lifters. So into the shop it goes Monday. Had to turn down a nice run today but the noise is getting louder. On the Promaster forum some said they had the same problem and it turned out to be the alternator. Others said fuel injectors. And one said rocker arms. The joy's of life on the road. I sure wish Toyota or Honda made a nice one ton extended cargo van. Anyone desperate to sleep in a hot van, eat bad food, shower in dirty truckstops, drive for extended periods of time with no time to stop, and make minimum wage for the hours you are in service, give me a call. I might make your dreams come true and sell you a slightly broken in Expedite Special with beds, microwave and refer to keep plenty of gatorade in. LOL! Gawd, I love this life style! I guess keep your money for now. She's not for sale, yet. Until Toyota or Honda start making the aforementioned van. Then she gone like the last shrimp on a buffet line. (sorry to be long winded, got started and couldn't stop)

paullud

Veteran Expediter
It might just be the bearing in the alternator. Try to find a metal rod or use a screwdriver to listen to the alternator and feel for vibration. Obviously avoid touching the electrical connections and grounding it.

schwanman

Expert Expediter
Well its been a while since I posted anything. My Promaster now has 120K on it. Aside from the brakes being noisy (which has gotten better in the last couple months), the suspension which is still noisy and the occasional problem with the wipers quitting in a rain storm. Oh and changing headlights quite often (which is a real treat). It handles the freight without hesitation and climbs the hills and down through the dales with no complaints. Asking for the occasional oil change (Mobil 1) and new tires. (last month) Because of the extra height, length and width, it has enabled me to pickup extra loads others have had to pass on. Now I have a noise coming from the engine. It sounds like a lifter but this engine does not have lifters. So into the shop it goes Monday. Had to turn down a nice run today but the noise is getting louder. On the Promaster forum some said they had the same problem and it turned out to be the alternator. Others said fuel injectors. And one said rocker arms. The joy's of life on the road. I sure wish Toyota or Honda made a nice one ton extended cargo van. Anyone desperate to sleep in a hot van, eat bad food, shower in dirty truckstops, drive for extended periods of time with no time to stop, and make minimum wage for the hours you are in service, give me a call. I might make your dreams come true and sell you a slightly broken in Expedite Special with beds, microwave and refer to keep plenty of gatorade in. LOL! Gawd, I love this life style! I guess keep your money for now. She's not for sale, yet. Until Toyota or Honda start making the aforementioned van. Then she gone like the last shrimp on a buffet line. (sorry to be long winded, got started and couldn't stop)
Do you have the heavy duty alternator? The Promaster form is an excellent source of info. Also found a video on utube to help with headlite replacement. Please keep us updated on your van.

tumbleweeds

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I put the van in the shop. The head needs replaced over the #2,4,6 cylinders. This is the same problem that plagues the Jeep owners. Dodge has extended the warranty on the Jeeps to 150K miles because of this problem. I have requested that they do the same for me. So far I have not had a response. The van will be down for about 10 days. They have to drop the engine and transmission to work on it. So far I have had to turn down several loads and am racking up a lot of lost revenue. I checked the alternator before I took it in and it was not making any noise except some normal bearing sounds. Thanks for the responses, I will post more when I know more.

tumbleweeds

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Schwanman, you mentioned the head light replacement. I have had to change out 6 or 7 so far. It is a pain but I can get it done in about 10 minutes now. Until I realized you have to remove the entire assay, I spent a couple of hours trying to change the first one. Now it is unhandy but no big deal.

Reactions: ntimevan

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I put the van in the shop. The head needs replaced over the #2,4,6 cylinders. This is the same problem that plagues the Jeep owners. Dodge has extended the warranty on the Jeeps to 150K miles because of this problem. I have requested that they do the same for me. So far I have not had a response. The van will be down for about 10 days. They have to drop the engine and transmission to work on it. So far I have had to turn down several loads and am racking up a lot of lost revenue. I checked the alternator before I took it in and it was not making any noise except some normal bearing sounds. Thanks for the responses, I will post more when I know more.

Hopefully they come through for you. Is it just the rockers wearing out? It could be that the parts have heat treating issues that are making the metal too soft.

fifaref2

Seasoned Expediter
Schwanman, you mentioned the head light replacement. I have had to change out 6 or 7 so far. It is a pain but I can get it done in about 10 minutes now. Until I realized you have to remove the entire assay, I spent a couple of hours trying to change the first one. Now it is unhandy but no big deal.
I have a promaster. Was at dealer other day and another pro guy was in there wanting headlight changed. Dealer didn't have one. I had 4 in van lol. Gave him one. Dealer never installed one before. 2 techs came out to watch me change the guys headlight. Last time this guy was breaking his arm to change light. He never thought to remove the assembly. Just changed alternator on mine. Sorry hear about the heads. Fingers crossed everyday at over 146K miles. That squeaking from the rear is the bad bushings they had bad ones in the factory. Tell dealer to change for free since you're now aware they were bad from factory. If they tell you no then reply here and I'll put you into contact with chrysler big wigs at corporate that I deal with who I'm sure will take care of those bushings. What day is your pro supposed to be done?

tumbleweeds

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Good news! The van is done. I picked it up this afternoon. The dealer did a great job getting me in and out. Chrysler was also great to work with. Even though the van has 120K on it, they paid all but $500 on the head replacement. It really helped us out and it helped restore my choice to buy an American made vehicle. I also had the suspension work done. I was amazed how quiet it is now. The dealer said it was very difficult to beat the old shackles out and press the new ones in. It took them all day. It cost me $550. I really don't mind this because they were so nice to help on the engine. They could have told me to take a hike. Lisa at Chrysler was very gracious and nice to work with.
She seems to care about our problems and was quick to help us find a solution.

I am going to post a thread on the general forum about van expenses and the advise we were given when we first started. Maybe it will help a newbie.

Thanks for all of the great information everyone has given us.

Reactions: paullud

ysracer

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Glad to hear they covered most of the damage. They screwed me not once, but twice, on remanufactured $printer engines.

tumbleweeds

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
It is so tough when you are at the mercy of the honesty of a dealership or a mechanic. I have made some bad choices on repairs. Its usually the transmission repair folks that get to me. I would like to buy a Sprinter but I can't afford the repairs. One guy told me he spent $10,000 on the DEF system. It had gone out twice requiring a new tank and the last time it had gotten into the wiring and he had to have his van rewired. Ouch!!!

Pro3500

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Mines in for transmission problems. I have had two flywheels put in it. Now there's a growling coming from the transmission. They said they will have to tear it down too find the source. I'm pushing for a new trans. See what happens.

tumbleweeds

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Mines in for transmission problems. I have had two flywheels put in it. Now there's a growling coming from the transmission. They said they will have to tear it down too find the source. I'm pushing for a new trans. See what happens.
Good luck on the transmission. I hope they take good care of you. Mine seems to be okay now except the roof started leaking with this last rain. I had water leaking into the overhead light between the seats. A bunch of silicone on all the seams in the roof and hopefully has stopped. Also I paid $550 for suspension repairs because of the noise and now it is starting up again. Bummed!

Pro3500

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Good luck on the transmission. I hope they take good care of you. Mine seems to be okay now except the roof started leaking with this last rain. I had water leaking into the overhead light between the seats. A bunch of silicone on all the seams in the roof and hopefully has stopped. Also I paid $550 for suspension repairs because of the noise and now it is starting up again. Bummed!
I think there was a recall on the clearance lights they tend too leak. Check with the dealer on the recall I don't think mileage matters on recalls. Knock on wood my suspension has never made any noise. If and when it does I'll take the bolts out and grease everything. Try soaking them with WD-40, every time you get a change reach under and spray the heck out of the bushings. If it works in it might stop it.

schwanman

Expert Expediter
Tumbleweed i am impressed with your positive attitude. My Promaster going strong at 188,0000 with original tires and brakes. Please keep us updated on any issues. I've started reading Promaster forums as you suggested. Good info!

Pro3500

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm impressed with those miles on the tires. How often are you rotating them?