More Insight Into Baltimore's Crime Problems

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
After reading some of these statistics, it's no wonder the mess in Baltimore turned out the way it did - from the unnecessary death of Freddie Gray to the riots that followed. Total lack of leadership and rule of law on the part of their nitwit mayor and the other elected officials that have failed the citizens.
Homicides in Baltimore are up more than 40 percent in 2015 over the previous period last year. The city has experienced 100 homicides to date, compared with 71 at the same point last year -- a trend that bucks a national decrease in violent crime in most major cities in recent years. The overwhelming majority of these homicides -- 87 of the 100 -- involved a black victim, 80 of whom were males. And the largest number, 22, occurred in the Western District -- that's more than all the homicides in the district in all of 2014. Nonfatal shootings in West Baltimore were up 175 percent year-over-year, according to the Sun.

But while crime is up dramatically, arrests are down. Arrests in the city were 40 percent lower in the weeks following Gray's death and the riots than the same period in the two previous years, according to an analysis of police data by The Wall Street Journal. Even before Gray's death, arrests in Baltimore were down 22 percent in the first three months of 2015 compared to the same period in 2014...

Yes, Gray's life mattered. Black lives matter, as protesters remind us following every such incident involving the death of a black man at the hands of police.

But so, too, should the 87 black lives (and 13 others) lost on the streets of Baltimore this year. By focusing almost all of our national attention on the horrific death of one black victim while in police custody, we avoid the larger problem of violence within the black community. Worse, by making the police out to be the greatest threat to the black community, we risk allowing criminals to go unchallenged within those communities.

Justice for Freddie Gray would best be served by better policing in the neighborhood where he lived -- not by less policing.

http://townhall.com/columnists/lindachavez/2015/05/22/justice-for-freddie-gray-n2002841/page/full

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That wonderful Democratic leadership, making paradises in Baltimore, Detroit, Chicago, etc. etc. etc. etc....

JohnWC

Veteran Expediter
Yeah but from what I've heard crime and murder has grown a lot lately there cops are not doing their jobs I've been turning down loads there

muttly

Veteran Expediter
They're doing their jobs. I haven't heard reports that they aren't answering radio calls.

JohnWC

Veteran Expediter
Blah blah blah cops have a hard job to do but how many of us have been taught to obey the law

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Their job now is to respond to calls from dispatch of crimes and emergencies involving the public. The other stuff isn't their job anymore. Baltimore citizens don't want the police around. They have spoken. So the police ARE doing their job. Whatever higher crime and murders that occur...it's just the new normal.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
That wonderful Democratic leadership, making paradises in Baltimore, Detroit, Chicago, etc. etc. etc. etc....

There are many who don't find that wonderful Republican leadership making paradise of Kansas, Louisiana, Wisconsin, and even Texas. Both parties are capable of astonishing stupidity.
As long as you see everything through partisan blinders, you see only a narrow view, but believe it's the whole picture.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I am critical of both sides. My point applied to areas that have been continuously Democratic for decades and suffering the consequences. As long as you see everything through liberal blinders you see only a narrow view but believe it's the whole picture.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I am critical of both sides. . . .
That's really funny right there . . .

free-laughing-smiley-emoticon.gif

Yowpuggy

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I am critical of both sides. My point applied to areas that have been continuously Democratic for decades and suffering the consequences. As long as you see everything through liberal blinders you see only a narrow view but believe it's the whole picture.
Don't make me laugh

Reactions: RLENT