Bad truck or bad driver?

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Back in Nov. last year, one of my drivers took my 2014 ProMaster to a shop to fix the front brakes (at 80,000 mi), which repair costed me almost 600 bux. Yes, I know it was way too much, I got mad not just because of the price, but because he did it without my approval, which according to the contract, it was supposed to be paid by him (if the driver don't consult with me before doing any repairs). As I said, I got mad, but I paid for that, warning the driver that starting with that day I will enforce the contract. Well, since then I spent probably over $4000 in all kind of repairs. Even now he is broke down again. The carrier told me that they don't trust him anymore, he was supposed to pick up a load, but missed it because of the new problem. Well, I hate to accuse someone, but out of all my trucks, he is the only one that keeps my 2014 truck more in shops than on the road, so...
it's a bad truck or a bad driver? This is the question!

Noname

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
Back in Nov. last year, one of my drivers took my 2014 ProMaster to a shop to fix the front brakes (at 80,000 mi), which repair costed me almost 600 bux. Yes, I know it was way too much, I got mad not just because of the price, but because he did it without my approval, which according to the contract, it was supposed to be paid by him (if the driver don't consult with me before doing any repairs). As I said, I got mad, but I paid for that, warning the driver that starting with that day I will enforce the contract. Well, since then I spent probably over $4000 in all kind of repairs. Even now he is broke down again. The carrier told me that they don't trust him anymore, he was supposed to pick up a load, but missed it because of the new problem. Well, I hate to accuse someone, but out of all my trucks, he is the only one that keeps my 2014 truck more in shops than on the road, so...
That is a tough call for you as owner. I used to call my trusted home town mechanic when something went wrong that was "iffy". He would advise if it needed to be fixed right away for safety or reliability or to prevent further damage. If not, I'd wait on the repair until I got home. Safety and reliability has to be fixed pronto, but some things like idiot lights and funny noises and intermittent problems could run up your bill needlessly. I also was lucky to have a couple of trusted mechanics scattered around the country to limp to in case I couldn't get all the way back home.
But that being said, I believe your gut may tell you the final answer to your question.

Reactions: Opel2010

smccann

New Recruit
That is a tough call for you as owner. I used to call my trusted home town mechanic when something went wrong that was "iffy". He would advise if it needed to be fixed right away for safety or reliability or to prevent further damage. If not, I'd wait on the repair until I got home. Safety and reliability has to be fixed pronto, but some things like idiot lights and funny noises and intermittent problems could run up your bill needlessly. I also was lucky to have a couple of trusted mechanics scattered around the country to limp to in case I couldn't get all the way back home.
But that being said, I believe your gut may tell you the final answer to your question.
look at the receipts to see if they come from the same place...if so that will tell you alit. sounds like vad communication betw driver and owner for sure.

bubblehead

Veteran Expediter
Can you elaborate? Diesel or gas? What kind of repairs? Do you confirm with the shops? Is it still under warranty? Four thousand sounds like way too much for the amount of miles unless it is a diesel.

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
look at the receipts to see if they come from the same place...if so that will tell you alit. sounds like vad communication betw driver and owner for sure.

I know that, I've been through that years ago... no, this time they're from different places, but the very first repair, that almost $600 brake repair, it was from his neighborhood, I presume he was helping the local community... anyway, to burn a two months old starter sounds like irresponsibility. As well as picking up the truck from the shop without verifying what repairs they did, to figure it out only days later that they did a sh. job, and many other things that I'm not too happy to put 'em on the list ...

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Can you elaborate? Diesel or gas? What kind of repairs? Do you confirm with the shops? Is it still under warranty? Four thousand sounds like way too much for the amount of miles unless it is a diesel.

It's gas. I've heard that the diesel version is a total mess...

eklektek

Active Expediter
I O/O a 2014, Dodge ProRam and have 110,000 miles on the motor and am still running the original set of tires. Just completed my 100,000 mile tune up last month and no issues to report, yet.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I know that, I've been through that years ago... no, this time they're from different places, but the very first repair, that almost $600 brake repair, it was from his neighborhood, I presume he was helping the local community... anyway, to burn a two months old starter sounds like irresponsibility. As well as picking up the truck from the shop without verifying what repairs they did, to figure it out only days later that they did a sh. job, and many other things that I'm not too happy to put 'em on the list ...

As far as the brake job goes it may not be unusual. A mechanic that is often recommended on here did the front brakes on a PM. He was shocked to find out the pads were over 200 dollars for just the front alone.

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I O/O a 2014, Dodge ProRam and have 110,000 miles on the motor and am still running the original set of tires. Just completed my 100,000 mile tune up last month and no issues to report, yet.

None of my other trucks had any kind of problems, 'cept this one.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
That $600 might not be unusual for that vehicle, like Xiggi says. Cost of parts, maybe having to get a specialty tool or two (these foreign vans---) the fact that the van is still new (in more ways than one) and that parts are likely single-source as a result--- plus the cost of labor. You might be in the cheap seats on this job.

Bad part: The driver just had this job done WITHOUT consulting you and then apparently stuck you with the bill. That's not cool.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Only 80,000 miles on a van used in expediting and it needed a front brake job? Did the $600 include new rotors?

2centz

Rookie Expediter
Look @ what u r repairing. Front brakes, the majority of ur braking is done in the front. Starter burning out, usually staying on the key too long @ start up. Probably a brake rider. He doesn't have to call in to get money for the repair? Talk to the mechanic before u will authorize any repairs. The mechanic will also be able to tell you if the cause was driver error.

JohnWC

Veteran Expediter
I just changed my pads at 326000 they didn't need them but I when from top to bottom checking everything out so why not change them if you've done took them off lol

2centz

Rookie Expediter
I was the same way. PM is the way to keep rolling! I drive for a guy & also help his mechanic when I can. The quality of driver out here is poor @ best. I'm not that good, but these drivers make me look like a superstar!

2centz

Rookie Expediter
I'm not saying equipment doesn't fail, my money is on bad driver. He's already tearing up 1 truck, do u want to give him another? Talk to one of ur buddies and follow him. Like I said b4, talk to the mechanic. If u think u r being ripped off on repairs, get a metal marker and Mark w/ a dot all things that might go out on the road, ie back of pads, rotors,alternator, idler pulleys, water pump, and anything else u can think of.