Questions from a Newbie Cargo Van O/O

RoadSaint

Expert Expediter
So, basically, I'm a complete newbie to expediting, but I went out and bought a cargo van and decided to give it a go without doing TONS of research first. Probably a mistake, but here we are.

Now, I'm faced with many questions that I can't seem to find easy answers to. I'm hoping the community here might be able to help me out with that. So, here goes:

1. What Companies are best to work for?
2. Should I stay away from companies that demand exclusivity, or embrace it? Why?
3. Once you have your own van in good working order, what is the fastest way to get started in expediting?
4. Is pursuing your own MC authority worth it if you only have 1 vehicle?
5. Any general tips for someone getting started in the business, that might save me some headache down the line?

libra112

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hey RoadSaint....
1.Its kinda hard to say whose the best to work for.
2.Personally, I wouldn't run exclusively for any one company because it can take away from the possibility of being moved.
3.The fastest way to get started depends on you & the company you choose
4. As for MC authority, I can't really answer that one. But I hear it's better to run a little bit & then decide.
5. I can point you in the direction to get all the tips you need but it's a group that's not a part of this site.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I went out and bought a cargo van and decided to give it a go without doing TONS of research first. Probably a mistake, but here we are.

Unfortunately there's no probably about it. It's a HUGE mistake. For the benefit of any others finding this thread, Expediting is a career just like paralegal, dental assistant, electrician, plumber and so on. Nobody would enter one of those careers without proper education and training and yet people think all they need to do is buy a van and they're suddenly an expediter! Which companies should one consider? How should one equip a van? What are mandatory items? What are options that one really doesn't want to pass up? Where are the good locations for getting jobs? What areas are mostly dead zones? What is the best record keeping system? What are safe deductions? What are iffy deductions? And on, and on, and on, and on. The best way to get into expediting is just like the best way to get into plumbing or paralegal. Get the education first. At a minimum read back through every thread title in the general, newbies and recruiter forums here. Any one of them that sounds remotely educational for you read every word of the thread and learn all you can. That will give anyone a bare minimum of education, just enough to be dangerous but at least enough to know what to ask and who to ask.

It's difficult enough to learn to do the job. Signing with a good and reputable company takes a lot of headaches and hassle out of the picture. Getting your own authority adds layers of complexity and lots of additional workload. Keep excellent records. Every job tells you more and more about what are good areas and what aren't, what are good companies to haul for and what aren't. It's a never ending classroom and education. Good luck.

Reactions: JPHI

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
1. You need to find the company that's best for you and that could take trial and error.
2. Sign on with one good company. The multi carrier is slowly dieing and each of those companies are telling you that can't keep you busy nor to mention your competing against yourself
3. What did you buy? again fund one company and lease to them.
4. With 0 experience why would you even consider your own athourity?

RoadSaint

Expert Expediter
3. What did you buy? again fund one company and lease to them.
4. With 0 experience why would you even consider your own athourity?

3. I bought a Chevy Express 2500 cargo van.
4. I have 0 experience driving as an expediter. However, I'm coming into the business from previously running/managing someone else's transportation company, hauling specific kinds of freight, so I'm not completely new to the industry. I understand already what many of the headaches might be, with getting underpaying loads to fill in the blanks, being stuck without a load back, vehicle maintenence issues, high overhead and general low market value when dealing with brokers, etc.

I had a really good job, managing someone else's company, but at the end of the day, I was working like a dog to make someone else rich. I got paid well, but had no say in my own life. Good pay, zero benefits, zero time off because there was no one who could ever fill in for me. I'm coming into this business because I want to work for myself, and forge my own path. I want to see the fruits of my own labor.

Signing with a good and reputable company takes a lot of headaches and hassle out of the picture.

Do you have examples of some companies that are generally regarded as good and reputable? I was originally thinking about signing on with Prestige, but then I saw some negative posts about them.

Reactions: JPHI

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Few are lucky enough to find the right carrier out of the box, sometimes it takes 2 or more try's some like small and some like the large carriers. So just do research and then roll the dice.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I had a really good job, managing someone else's company, but at the end of the day, I was working like a dog to make someone else rich. I got paid well, but had no say in my own life. Good pay, zero benefits, zero time off because there was no one who could ever fill in for me. I'm coming into this business because I want to work for myself, and forge my own path. I want to see the fruits of my own labor.

Van expediting as the O/O pretty much insures you'll get paid so-so with zero benefits and zero time off. You also won't go home to your comfortable living room and bed every night.

Having a 3/4T Chev. van will make it more challenging. Not all companies will take on short vans any more. Companies that were at least at one time considered short list contenders include, in no particular order, Landstar, Panther, Load-1, C&M and Fedex although they have fallen from where they once were.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Your van is going to limit your choices. More and more carriers no longer sign on low top cargo vans and also require 3 pallet length I would start calling recruiters and find out who would take it on.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
3. I bought a Chevy Express 2500 cargo van.
4. I have 0 experience driving as an expediter. However, I'm coming into the business from previously running/managing someone else's transportation company, hauling specific kinds of freight, so I'm not completely new to the industry. I understand already what many of the headaches might be, with getting underpaying loads to fill in the blanks, being stuck without a load back, vehicle maintenence issues, high overhead and general low market value when dealing with brokers, etc.

Do you have examples of some companies that are generally regarded as good and reputable? I was originally thinking about signing on with Prestige, but then I saw some negative posts about them.

One comment that indicates you don't yet have a firm grasp on expediting: "Getting stuck without a load back."
There [pretty much] is no such creature in expediting. We go where the freight needs delivered, and then we either wait nearby for the next load, or drive to wherever we believe is a better chance for a load, or both.
That's why we stay out for many weeks at a time: there are no loads back.
Given your knowledge level, I'd suggest you sign on with a major name carrier [if any are taking half ton cargo vans] until you learn enough to decide where to go from there. Smaller carriers can be awesome, but it requires enough knowledge to recognize the difference between the good ones and the fly by night scam artists.

Reactions: Murraycroexp

jjtdrv4u

Expert Expediter
So, basically, I'm a complete newbie to expediting, but I went out and bought a cargo van and decided to give it a go without doing TONS of research first. Probably a mistake, but here we are.

Now, I'm faced with many questions that I can't seem to find easy answers to. I'm hoping the community here might be able to help me out with that. So, here goes:

1. What Companies are best to work for?
2. Should I stay away from companies that demand exclusivity, or embrace it? Why?
3. Once you have your own van in good working order, what is the fastest way to get started in expediting?
4. Is pursuing your own MC authority worth it if you only have 1 vehicle?
5. Any general tips for someone getting started in the business, that might save me some headache down the line?

hey, have you got your van up for sale yet?

RoadSaint

Expert Expediter
Haha, you guys are definitely a cynical bunch. I'm actually in discussions with 2 companies right now on beginning to expedite for them.

I ran into some difficulties because of the year of my van, even though it's in excellent condition, but with some research, found some companies that would accept it, or would give me an exception due to some people who vouched for me.

RoadSaint

Expert Expediter
It really doesn't "say it all". Because even if I don't know the expediting business, I DO know the automotive industry. With the price that I paid for the van, if it didn't work out, I could sell it quickly(wholesale) for a thousand dollars in profit. I wasn't venturing anything by purchasing the van. I was simply preparing in order to make the transition to doing expediting a quicker process later on. I bought the van while still working at my other job, and used the last 2 months or so to drive it, find out what needed fixed, and fix it. I also spent the last year saving a good amount of money as operating capital to cover me in the case of an emergency.

I've got a degree in automotive technology, and over 15 years experience in fleet management, business management, and automotive repairs. Why am I not continuing in this arena? I don't want to work for someone else any more. If I want to take a day off after working 14 hours a day for 3 weeks straight, or if I need to go to the dentist, I don't want to have to justify it to some corporate bean counter. And I don't have a quarter million dollars to start my own brick & mortar business in the fields I've worked in. So here I am.

I did most of the research online that I could. What I DIDN'T do was contact any recruiters, because I didn't want to get a reputation for being flaky with them by inquiring about driving for them and not following up. I also didn't join any forums and ask questions first, because I assumed most questions would have been asked and answered as best as they could be expected to be before I ever joined a forum, since that's what it's for. As for the questions I had, I had those questions because it's incredibly difficult to get any straight answers from people in this business, apparently. All over the internet, you get conflicting information. You get newish drivers saying they're making tons of money working out of a cargo van, countered by 2 other guys saying there's no money in it. It's all over the place, and no one seems to want to say, "I've had a good experience with X company, and have averaged making Y, while working for them for Z amount of time. Normally made it home about A times a month for B days at a time."

That's the sort of thing that would be helpful. Not one-line smart-alek comments about how you personally disapprove of someone else's life decisions.

The only way I've got a straight answer so far is from a driver I know in person(I did all of his van repairs), who said they typically average about 1.00 per mile working for Prestige, and they can normally get 2000 miles a week pretty consistently. He said he normally goes out on the road for a week or two, then comes back home and messes around for a week or two.

So, I would like to end this by politely asking you to either add to the conversation in a constructive manner that might assist myself and other newbies who might stumble on this thread in their quest to get started in this business, or move on to a different thread where your negativity and one-line pot-shots are appreciated. Try 4chan. They love that sort of thing.

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
2000 miles/week at $1.00 per from Prestige? Allen must've had a religious conversion, because my last run for them in 2013 was 50¢/mi! Hell Paso to Tenn :mad:

Reactions: Murraycroexp

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
That's better! you see we get questions asking all the time but you stated you did not research expediting.....so I had to poke a bit.

RoadSaint

Expert Expediter
Yeah mudman, I saw your post about that before. Was hoping you'd chime in and extrapolate on your experience with them. That was a one-off thing right before you quit running for them though, right? From the way you described that situation before, when you made that little on a run from them, you felt betrayed and stopped running for them shortly thereafter, right? So, before that, you must have been making more than 0.50/mile, right? If so, what was the average, and was it before or after fuel surcharge?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
If you don't yet know the business and are just getting into it, honestly I'd recommend Panther to start with. They'll hold your hand and walk you thorough things, more or less. They treat all their drivers as if they don't know anything, which is actually a good thing for those who don't.

After a year or two with Panther you'll be well on your way to learning the ropes, and you'll definitely know what you want, and don't want, out of your next carrier.