Been stuck in an office for 26 years......

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
In expediting, where you live is irrelevant, unless you want to go home a lot. If you can stay out 3, 4, 5 months at a time, you'll be fine.

The reason few people will paint a pretty picture of expediting is because most people don't last 6 months in this business and the overwhelming majority are gone within a year. There are virtually countless reasons for that but chief among them is being underfunded to begin with, because the learning curve fours right through the wallet. That's even more true if your introductory expedite vehicle is a Sprinter.

Reactions: Moot and skyraider

Dusty Godwin

New Recruit
I agree with Paullud. I was an 8-5er working in town here. I did drive another Sprinter Owner's Van for 2 months prior to purchasing my own...so I could get an idea about expediting and see what the pay would be like. I would suggest that method too before you make the leap, spending $30-43K on a Van and setting it up.

Glad to hear from someone who understands how I feel about being stuck for the past 26 years. Your advice to enter the business slowly as opposed to dishing out $40k plus and then deciding I do not like the business is something I will certainly do. I would hope I would love the business, but I will have to try it out to see what I really think about it. Great to know that you enjoy the business. It sure did not take you long to decide this business was for you. Hope you continue to be successful!

Dusty Godwin

New Recruit
In expediting, where you live is irrelevant, unless you want to go home a lot. If you can stay out 3, 4, 5 months at a time, you'll be fine.

The reason few people will paint a pretty picture of expediting is because most people don't last 6 months in this business and the overwhelming majority are gone within a year. There are virtually countless reasons for that but chief among them is being underfunded to begin with, because the learning curve fours right through the wallet. That's even more true if your introductory expedite vehicle is a Sprinter.

That is amazing to her the stats of people not staying in this business. I cannot relate to that, but I certainly take what you say to heart. My wife will certainly have a huge impact on my decision, but I am quite sure she would want to travel with me if I do decide to try the business. Folks like you have certainly given me much to think about. It sounds like a Spinter is expensive to operate from your perspective. What van do you suggest is the best for this business? Thanks once again for your help.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The Sprinter is a Mercedes, so it needs to be taken care of and maintained like a Mercedes. Pretty much everything you think you know about maintaining a vehicle can be thrown out the window with a Sprinter. They're is a steep learning curve with a Sprinter. That's why is doesn't make for a good first vehicle in expediting, as the learning curve for expediting is already pretty steep. When you take in account that in expediting you're doing 5 years worth of maintenance every year, it's much easier to deal with that particular learning curve with a vehicle that requires more traditional maintenance with fewer surprises.

If I were to buy a new vehicle today, it would be a Ford Transit or a Dodge RAM Promaster, anything other than a DEF diesel.

My advice would be to pay cash for a used van, put however much money into it to get it mechanically sound and road reliable (if that means replacing alternators and water pumps and anything else that hasn't yet been replaced but is likely to fail anytime soon, do it), outfit it for expediting (insulate, bunk, other creature comforts, plus cargo securements), and drive it for a year or so. Then you'll know, without getting a $40,000 bank loan, whether you even like the business, and what kind of vehicle best fits your needs, and what you really want and don't want insofar as outfitting for creature comforts. You'll also have a better idea on what to expect in maintenance. Hopefully by then you'll have saved enough to put down a sizeable down payment, or buy a new one outright. The sooner you have you van paid for, the better

Last edited:
Reactions: Moot and cheri1122

jjtdrv4u

Expert Expediter
Well, it is now Monday evening...and yes....you have given me much to think about for sure. Having been in an office job all these years, I admit it is still scarey....like the unknown for me. You must love the business, but you have figured out how to run a successful business for yourself. You have been so kind to share so much information, but many kind people have done the same thing. It seems that no one has painted any pretty pictures of this business. I think he biggest drawback would be my living in southern Alabama. I absolutely love the driving experience alone, but it does seems you spend a great deal of your life away from home. I currently work about 45 hours a week, I am home every night and every weekend...get 3-4 weeks vacation a year. You are probably saying...."Are you crazy?" ha!! Probably does seem crazy that I am thinking about leaving all of this to possibly venture out in a totally different direction. I guess the only people that probably understand my thinking are those who have sat in an office day after day....year after year. My wife and I planned for me to retire at age 62, but she sees the mental fatigue wearing on me each day. Well, we will certainly see how things progress in the future. My wife will be home in about three weeks, so I am quite sure we will talk things out. I seriously doubt that you are awake this time of night. You will have to let me know when and if they called you about another load. Exciting to hear you talk about your routine!

sounds like you might be better off getting this expedite bug out of your ear by taking a courier job in pensacola or mobile, that would get you home every night anyway...

Reactions: Mailer

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Lol, wait, don't quit your job just yet.

The scary truth is that every responses on this thread are true.

To see if this is the lifestyle for you. Based on your info, if I were you, I would would request 2 weeks off from work.

Then, rent a van for 2 weeks and throw all the sleeping gears and required personal hygiene and clothing stuffs in there. Oh, don't forget the foods. And most importantly, your wife.

Next start out from Alabama, head up to the the Flying J truck stop in Birmingham, stay in that parking lot and don't go anywhere for 3 days. Yep, sleep in the van with your wife(you and your wife can take the showers at the truck stop). If you see other van drivers, introduce yourself and ask lot of questions.

After 3 days, move up to the Flying J in West Memphis AR. Stay there another 3 days and repeat above.

Then, move to Dallas TX , stay there 3 days, and repeat above.

And then, move to the most famous location for cargo van expeditors, Laredo TX, stay there 3 days and repeat above.

Finally, after 3 days and hopefully, your wife didn't already flew home before this, drive back to Alabama(and if you like, you can listen to this while driving back)https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CCAQtwIwAQ&url=http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=s-SHd4PX0bw&ei=s4ZkVdGpFomngwT_u4CoCg&usg=AFQjCNFDf7EY3h0-l6YDzT7OdI_fY1Zdyw

When you both get home, discuss the experiences and see if this what you both really want.

Really, It tough out here, many don't last as Turtle had mentioned. But for those who lasted, they have found the niche of life:)

Good luck, and hope you both will make the right decision.

Last edited:

Dusty Godwin

New Recruit
sounds like you might be better off getting this expedite bug out of your ear by taking a courier job in pensacola or mobile, that would get you home every night anyway...

I think you hit the nail on the head my friend! No one has painted a pretty picture in any way, but I sure thank you and everyone else for your honesty. I am glad I am talking this out with nice people like yourself. The courier job does not sound so bad.....if one can make a decent living. Thanks again!

paullud

Veteran Expediter
My wife will certainly have a huge impact on my decision, but I am quite sure she would want to travel with me if I do decide to try the business.

Run team with her and it will help produce extra income especially at a company like Panther that limits the amount of time a solo van driver can drive. It's nice to be able to take a nap while the van is still moving too.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
So, they called about another load: 2000 miles, hazmat, pays $3000.
I may regret accepting it, but I'd also regret declining, if nothing much else bubbled up. Found a nice long audiobook, and I'm on my way - cheers! :joyful:

Reactions: vandriver2

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I may regret accepting it, but I'd also regret declining, if nothing much else bubbled up. Found a nice long audiobook, and I'm on my way - cheers! :joyful:
Be safe.
2670199.jpg

Reactions: cheri1122

Dusty Godwin

New Recruit
I may regret accepting it, but I'd also regret declining, if nothing much else bubbled up. Found a nice long audiobook, and I'm on my way - cheers! :joyful:[/QUOTE

Sounds exciting your new load, but the mies must be overwhelming! The money sounds great too! Have a great trip my friend.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I guess the only people that probably understand my thinking are those who have sat in an office day after day....year after year. My wife and I planned for me to retire at age 62, but she sees the mental fatigue wearing on me each day.
My advice would be bail out now! I did at age 42 and what I left wasn't an office job.

I seriously doubt that you are awake this time of night. You will have to let me know when and if they called you about another load. Exciting to hear you talk about your routine!
Expediters are awake 24/7 and also sleep 24/7. Paradox?. You sleep when you can and stay awake when you can. It's not 9 to 5. It takes awhile but you adjust.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Lol, wait, don't quit your job just yet.

The scary truth is that every responses on this thread are true.

To see if this is the lifestyle for you. Based on your info, if I were you, I would would request 2 weeks off from work.

Then, rent a van for 2 weeks and throw all the sleeping gears and required personal hygiene and clothing stuffs in there. Oh, don't forget the foods. And most importantly, your wife.

Next start out from Alabama, head up to the the Flying J truck stop in Birmingham, stay in that parking lot and don't go anywhere for 3 days. Yep, sleep in the van with your wife(you and your wife can take the showers at the truck stop). If you see other van drivers, introduce yourself and ask lot of questions.

After 3 days, move up to the Flying J in West Memphis AR. Stay there another 3 days and repeat above.

Then, move to Dallas TX , stay there 3 days, and repeat above.

And then, move to the most famous location for cargo van expeditors, Laredo TX, stay there 3 days and repeat above.

Finally, after 3 days and hopefully, your wife didn't already flew home before this, drive back to Alabama(and if you like, you can listen to this while driving back)https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CCAQtwIwAQ&url=http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=s-SHd4PX0bw&ei=s4ZkVdGpFomngwT_u4CoCg&usg=AFQjCNFDf7EY3h0-l6YDzT7OdI_fY1Zdyw

When you both get home, discuss the experiences and see if this what you both really want.

Really, It tough out here, many don't last as Turtle had mentioned. But for those who lasted, they have found the niche of life:)

Good luck, and hope you both will make the right decision.
Good advice except the rented van won't be set up for expediting, no creature comforts. One 24 hour period in a car at either the J in Birmingham or West Memphis should set him straight.

Reactions: Mailer

paulnstef39

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner

So how did it work out for you cheri?

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Great! Delivered to the Proving Grounds in Yucca, Az, which was cool - but they made me sign a nondisclosure agreement, so I can't say anything else. They were extremely nice, though, and efficient, so it was a good delivery.
Still waiting for a load, but I expected that going in, so no big deal. I am just 35 miles from Lake Havasu City [where the London Bridge is!] and less than an hour from the Grand Canyon, and both places are on my bucket list, so if nothing happens soon, I may go touristing. I love what I do! :D

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I forgot to mention that I was offered a load as soon as I finished delivery [Las Vegas to Tucson], but I couldn't accept because my flimsy license plate did a frisbee routine, and I had to wait for documentation before moving again. A load to Las Vegas would be sweet, I've been a few times, but never had time to just see the sights. [I never thought I'd enjoy LV, not being a gambler, but it's got some amazing places!] For me, that's what makes it worthwhile: the chance to see and experience and learn how different parts of the country are. And they're [mostly] all good.

jjtdrv4u

Expert Expediter
Good advice except the rented van won't be set up for expediting, no creature comforts. One 24 hour period in a car at either the J in Birmingham or West Memphis should set him straight.
especially since he is from way down on the gulf coast or LA (lower alabama), about 300 miles from birmingham and about 500 miles from memphis...