Cargo Van Need opinions on van replacement

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
170" WB extended....all I know to tell you is for me, I don't have them load the heaviest of 3 skids on the end.
In 2011 when I bought my Sprinter, I had Springs mounted. Helps stabilize.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
This is where a roller-floor could come into its own. Set the skids where you like, secure them with E-straps and load bars as needed, then when you get to the receiver just roll those puppies to the tailgate. What could be easier? But, securing the freight IS a problem with a roller floor, so I reckon we do the best we can.
I agree that Ford messed up a long time ago with the overhang issue. The Chevies have the rear axle set back, and it DOES make a difference. The overhang in an extended Ford E-Series could be enough to make for handling issues as the front end gets too light. I don't know-- because I haven't looked that close--- at the new Transits, but if Ford is still doing the same thing-- setting a longer body on the same wheelbase as the standard body-- there will be handling issues with the extended Transit. Maybe worse since the taller body might encourage more weight to be placed there.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I agree that Ford messed up a long time ago with the overhang issue.

I'm not sure Ford messed up with the short wheelbase. I don't care for it, but I'm an expediter. Ford's target market is small package delivery and trades-persons where maneuverability is more of a concern than weight distribution.

Windsor

Veteran Expediter
I'm not sure Ford messed up with the short wheelbase. I don't care for it, but I'm an expediter. Ford's target market is small package delivery and trades-persons where maneuverability is more of a concern than weight distribution.
I understand what ur saying, ford isn't thinking about expediting when designing a truck. but almost 6 feet of overhang is to much in my opinion.

tumbleweeds

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I bought the Promaster and will be 6 feet under before it is paid off. If I had a brain (no comment please) I would have bought a small box truck with the Chevy 6.0 and six speed. It will last for ever, handle any freight you might get, there are used ones available for not too much $$$, parts are available and you can have anyone work on them. Just a thought.

Reactions: vandriver2

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
There was a thread a few weeks back about the idea of a Sprinter/ GM LS engine mating. That's beginning to sound like a good idea.

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well for me I wanted a new van, but have decided to drop a motor into mine, been using between 2 and 3 qts of oil between oil changes and now I have a oil leak that wasn't there before. Just had Dallas freightliner order one and I'll drop the van off in a couple of days. Guess I'll be down this week.... Looks like 10K out the door for a reman...

Next I'll order shocks and rear door hinges from euro-parts

Only reason for engine, comes down to the fact I have rebuilt the rear and put new transmission in last year.. I'll wait on new vehicle for a year or so more while they get all the kinks out of them

Windsor

Veteran Expediter
Well for me I wanted a new van, but have decided to drop a motor into mine, been using between 2 and 3 qts of oil between oil changes and now I have a oil leak that wasn't there before. Just had Dallas freightliner order one and I'll drop the van off in a couple of days. Guess I'll be down this week.... Looks like 10K out the door for a reman...

Next I'll order shocks and rear door hinges from euro-parts

Only reason for engine, comes down to the fact I have rebuilt the rear and put new transmission in last year.. I'll wait on new vehicle for a year or so more while they get all the kinks out of them
That's a good plan. It's cheaper to keep our old ones running.

Reactions: scottm4211

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I had to look at different things and some of my reasoning was I'm 60 and I don't want to be married to this life after next year, I don't want any vehicle loans and with everything I see going on with the new vehicles I just didn't wan to chance it on a new vehicle... Plus, I have a new transmission and rear was rebuilt last year. I'm going online tomorrow and purchase a couple of things, shocks and struts and 4 new hinges for the rear door.

I'll also be raising the bed up higher and redoing the who interior in the next month.. Be like a new vehicle without the payments

Reactions: Pro3500 and Turtle

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just dropped my van off at freightliner for engine replacement. Motor 7600 bucks, but wait 2 weeks ago their was a price increase to 9k, but dealer is standing by Thor quote of 7600 plus install labor of about 1800. I'm even having them put in cruse control for something like 650. Hope to have the van back by Thursday at the latest. So all said and done I should get out the door for 12k for the very thing including sales tax. Maybe less I'll know in a couple of days

Reactions: Windsor

ADOSCARMOTORS

Rookie Expediter
Fleet Owner
Just dropped my van off at freightliner for engine replacement. Motor 7600 bucks, but wait 2 weeks ago their was a price increase to 9k, but dealer is standing by Thor quote of 7600 plus install labor of about 1800. I'm even having them put in cruse control for something like 650. Hope to have the van back by Thursday at the latest. So all said and done I should get out the door for 12k for the very thing including sales tax. Maybe less I'll know in a couple of days

Ouch...Shoot me in the leg and call me shortie.

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
With other things 12500 out the door. Should be good for the next couple of years