Do you have a breaker bar?

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yesterday I was nearing completion of a nice 1300 mile load to Aurora Co.when only 3 miles from my delivery pffft a flat tire, the first in all my years of expediting. I get out the handy Mercedes supplied tire kit and proceed to attempt a tire change. Needless to say using the stubby little lug wrench provided I was unable to break the lugs loose.

A quick call to load1 gets me hooked up with the great team in our shop who call our tire people. They contact their national network and arrange for a truck to come to the rescue. well to make a long story short 2 1/2 hours after pulling off the road I am 195.00 bucks down using my spare but headed to my delivery. Why, because my breaker bar is in my garage. Vanners if you don't have one along with the correct size socket., or at least a pipe to extend your lug wrench do yourself a favor and outfit your van with one now, a small investment today can save you time and money tomorrow.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Excellent advice Xiggi! I have always carried a "cross" wrench with the 4 different size sockets. It worked well until a few years ago. Someone, somewhere along the line got a little overzealous when tightening the lug nuts. I was able to get them loose but rounded the corners on a few. Now I carry a 15" breaker bar with a 12 point 7/8" socket and a cheater pipe.

Reactions: xiggi

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Excellent advice Xiggi! I have always carried a "cross" wrench with the 4 different size sockets. It worked well until a few years ago. Someone, somewhere along the line got a little overzealous when tightening the lug nuts. I was able to get them loose but rounded the corners on a few. Now I carry a 15" breaker bar with a 12 point 7/8" socket and a cheater pipe.
Moot, did you locate the Pics of Maggie I posted under "May 2015"?

bubblehead

Veteran Expediter
A Breaker Bar...ok, this is news to me. It's an extension to provide more leverage?
Not exactly, this is the breaker bar I use if I am rotating my tires early in the morning and don't want to annoy my neighbors. http://www.amazon.com/Titan-12049-1-Inch-40-Inch-Breaker/dp/B003OA2J34 a extension is usually a pipe that fits over the bar for more leverage. I also use a torque multiplier (78:1) when I come across a particular stubborn lug nut. The 3/4" Milwaukee M18 has taken over my top go to tool when I am doing anything with my tires. However, I never attempt to tighten the lug nuts without the proper torque stick attached.

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Not exactly, this is the breaker bar I use if I am rotating my tires early in the morning and don't want to annoy my neighbors. http://www.amazon.com/Titan-12049-1-Inch-40-Inch-Breaker/dp/B003OA2J34 a extension is usually a pipe that fits over the bar for more leverage. I also use a torque multiplier (78:1) when I come across a particular stubborn lug nut. The 3/4" Milwaukee M18 has taken over my top go to tool when I am doing anything with my tires. However, I never attempt to tighten the lug nuts without the proper torque stick attached.
Gotcha, thanks. I purchase my tires thru Discount Tire. The best price I could find here in town. They a Rotate and Balance them for free every 5-7K. I can make em last between 110-130K and they're good for 70 usually. If I get a flat and have it plugged...bring it in and they'll replace it for free.

bubblehead

Veteran Expediter
:D
You named your tool huh? Lol lol lol

:eek:
Hmmm. First you had an issue with OVM humping a sidewalk, And now a man naming his tool. Ragman, I think you are either very lonely, or in need of therapy...or both. Hope things get better for you, and soon! :D Come to think of it, perhaps OVM is lonely also...o_O Never mind, just get some help! :oops:

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
:D
Hmmm. First you had an issue with OVM humping a sidewalk, And now a man naming his tool. Ragman, I think you are either very lonely, or in need of therapy...or both. Hope things get better for you, and soon! :D Come to think of it, perhaps OVM is lonely also...o_O Never mind, just get some help! :oops:
I think the other driver is a she.

schwanman

Expert Expediter
FYI: also check your credit card. Visa has roadside dispatch. No membership, annual dues, or enrollment. Pay only when you use. Covers towing, tire change, jump, lockout, fuel, and winching. $59.95
Towing and winching limited of course.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Note: Invest in a heavy-wall socket. Like the ones used on impact wrenches. A standard socket may break-- I've had it happen. So-- a thick-walled socket to fit your lugs, a long breaker bar and a piece of pipe to fit over the breaker bar-- should do it.

Why tire shops use impact wrenches to put your wheels on, I'll never know.