HINO 2008 816 tipper problems...help

DUMPY

New Recruit
Hi guys I have a 2008 hino tipper that I will be taking to get scanned but thought I would ask you guys anyway. So my problem is that it is stuck in limp mode I believe, the engine check light is on and so is and other green light with funny picture, also the truck is trying to talk to me about every 30 seconds but its not in english lol. Any ideas would be great thanks.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
I see you're from Australia. I can only offer what I know on trucks made for the US market. The 816 is not offered for the US market.
But just for the hell of it...
Your cruise control switch, does it have a push button and a toggle that moves up and down? If so, hold the button (Mode switch) in until a sub menu pops up. What are the options? Over here, one would tap the toggle up to scroll through the menu items. Scroll up until 'SYSTEM CHECK' is highlighted. Tap down on the toggle to select.

Active codes show up. toggle up to see them all. Now hold the toggle up for several seconds. Inactive codes should appear. Write them all down before deleting them! Actually, don't delete them at all, it won't fix anything, it'll just make troubleshooting harder (since they're all date stamped). You can hold the toggle down for several seconds to delete them, but it won't help you.

After you get the codes, post them here along with whether the're active or inactive.

Does it have a DPF? Is there soot in the tailpipe? Does it have a steel fuel tank and there's rust chunks in the bottom? Does the check engine light go out after the engine is shut off and is then restarted, or is it on all the time? There are numerous reasons for limp mode, but some are much more common than others.

Reactions: Moot

DUMPY

New Recruit
This is my little rig I will take a photo of the dash lights for you and check other stuff I have owned the truck for a year but never driven it as I had a driver. It was stolen and got it back missing a lot of stuff so I am just trying to put it back together for rego.

Attachments

• large_hino-816-300-series-truck-4x2-10662-img6f_sb4pCLGcr97QI7CT0oNw.jpg
    large_hino-816-300-series-truck-4x2-10662-img6f_sb4pCLGcr97QI7CT0oNw.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 14

DUMPY

New Recruit
This is how I got it back.

Attachments

• IMG_0636_2.JPG
    IMG_0636_2.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0634_2.JPG
    IMG_0634_2.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0637_2.JPG
    IMG_0637_2.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 10

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Well that's a mess.

It looks just like our model 195. Which means the above procedure for pulling codes may not work.

That light is the exhaust brake light. The right side multifunction stalk... push it forward. Well, the one without the high/low beam function. Push/ pull movement turns the exhaust brake on and off.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
That looks a hell of a lot better!

It's 4:40 am here and for some stupid reason I'm still awake. But not for long. I'll get back to this tomorrow.

DUMPY

New Recruit
no worries greasytshirt, go to sleep lol. I till have a ton of work to do to it stillv any way, thanks.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Good thing we've got greasytshirt on the case - I thought the green light looked like a lawn chair, lol. [Hey, it's Australia, they do things different there.] :wideyed:

DUMPY

New Recruit
Do you guys run the NO4C-TV engine there? I also run a 4x4 hilux as opposed to your tundra\ tacoma, We aussies like small utes with big loads as opposed to big utes with no loads lol.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Do you guys run the NO4C-TV engine there? I also run a 4x4 hilux as opposed to your tundra\ tacoma, We aussies like small utes with big loads as opposed to big utes with no loads lol.
We run the J05E and J08E engines.