Religious discrimination

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
"I'm sorry, arrested criminal. We need you to remove your hijab for your booking photograph."

"No, that's a violation of religious freedom."

I'm sorry. Identification photos are part of being arrested. If you don't want your entire face photographed then don't get arrested. Especially for something as stupid and lazy as not renewing your driver's license.

http://freepatriotpost.com/lawsuit-...hts-police-for-forcing-woman-to-remove-hijab/

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Hey - I once forgot to renew mine. And found out a week later, when I inadvertently ran a red light [it was just before Christmas, at the mall, I thought it was one of the decorative lights, on a pole, lol]. So I thought I'd just ask the judge if he/she knew without checking when their license expired, and did they know how many red light are on poles around the mall in late November?!
I drew the blind judge, lol. :banhappy:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
"I'm sorry, arrested criminal. We need you to remove your hijab for your booking photograph."

"No, that's a violation of religious freedom."

I'm sorry. Identification photos are part of being arrested. If you don't want your entire face photographed then don't get arrested. Especially for something as stupid and lazy as not renewing your driver's license.

http://freepatriotpost.com/lawsuit-...hts-police-for-forcing-woman-to-remove-hijab/

I knew people who support religious rights wouldn't be so supportive, when the religion in question isn't theirs.
An expired license isn't sufficient cause in and of itself for an arrest warrant, anyway so the last comment was just plain old ugliness.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The arrest warrants (plural) were not for an expired license, but for failing to previously show up for court.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
The arrest warrants (plural) were not for an expired license, but for failing to previously show up for court.

Exactly. But the comment I objected to said "don't get arrested for something as stupid and lazy as not renewing your drivers license."
I wasn't stupid or lazy when I forgot to renew mine, [long before I had a CDL], I simply forgot that expired that year, when it didn't the other 5.
Why she didn't show up to court is unknown, so the assumption of stupid and lazy is just ugliness.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
After she failed to show up for court and then didn't contact the court to explain why, and obtain another court date is also unknown, but it certainly bolsters the assumption of stupidity. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: vandriver2

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
On the opposite end of the spectrum, refusing medical care for a child based on the parent's religious beliefs is not exercising one's religious freedom, it's child abuse.

Reactions: Ragman

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
On the other side of the coin, assuming stupidity and laziness is sensible and refusing to acknowledge it is idiocy.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
On the other side of the coin, assuming stupidity and laziness is sensible and refusing to acknowledge it is idiocy.

"Assuming stupidity and laziness is sensible" sure explains a lot of some peoples' assumptions. As does a total lack of imagination, empathy, perception, tolerance, and intelligence, too.
Because intelligent people don't make assumptions, if they can avoid it, and when they can't, they get enough information and facts to make it an educated assumption.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
After she failed to show up for court and then didn't contact the court to explain why, and obtain another court date is also unknown, but it certainly bolsters the assumption of stupidity. :D

Did you happen to read about Ca Gov Brown asking for relief for poor people who are running up thousands of dollars in court fees for minor traffic tickets? One glaring fact: many courts won't allow a hearing to be scheduled until the fines & costs are paid already. That's illegal, but they've been doing it anyway, because they could. Who suspects a court of breaking the law?!
I'm not saying this woman has any kind of a legit reason for not showing up in court, but I am saying it's possible. It's not uncommon to fail to receive a written communication ordering a court appearance, and you don't go, if you don't know. Changing residence is the most common cause, but sometimes, mail gets misplaced or with held, too. We don't know, which makes assuming lazy & stupid ignorant. And stupid.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I'm not saying this woman has any kind of a legit reason for not showing up in court, but I am saying it's possible.
If course it's possible. That's why I said falling to contact the court to explain why, and then asking for another court date, is kinda stupid.

It's not uncommon to fail to receive a written communication ordering a court appearance, and you don't go, if you don't know. Changing residence is the most common cause, but sometimes, mail gets misplaced or with held, too. We don't know, which makes assuming lazy & stupid ignorant. And stupid.
I very rarely make assumptions, mainly because it's lazy and stupid ignorant. And this instance is no different. Her court date is right on the back of her traffic ticket, no mail communications required.
So she didn't go, despite being in the know.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
You are assuming the court date on the back of the ticket is the one she missed, lol.
Interesting anecdote about missing court: in Cleveland, one well known speed trap is Linndale [71, near the W 130 exit]. They write a lot of tickets, and got me once, long ago. The address for court is W 112 ish [don't remember specifically, but it's a west side street in that range]. Because I grew up around there, it never occurred to me that the street would be hard to find - it's not NYC, for cryin out loud, the numbered streets go in logical order. And yet, I couldn't find it - it. Just. Wasn't. There. I finally had to call the number on the ticket and ask for directions, and it turned out that the tiny street formerly known as W 112 had been renamed Avenue of the Americas, was located at the end of an overpass, and the Linndale court was in a building formerly known as someone's bungalow, in the middle of other people's bungalows. Considering how much grift they pull in, [enough that Cleveland tried to ban them from ticketing on 71, where they have no entrance or exit ramp, and only 300 ft of roadway is actually in Linndale], I was expecting something like the Taj Mahal. I still wonder what they DO with all that cheddar....:shifty: