Been stuck in an office for 26 years......

Dusty Godwin

New Recruit
Hello from Southern Alabama! My name is Dusty Godwin. Dealing with trucking companies and drivers on a daily basis for the past 26 years, I have desired the past 4 or 5 years to own my own Sprinter cargo van and be in business for myself....based on my conversation with one gentleman several years ago. I am ambitious, dedicated in making a living for my family, conservative (not cheap) with every dollar I earn, a positive thinker, DEBT FREE, and a Christian God fearing man. I hope I can get some advice from someone who may have felt trapped in a 8 to 5 office job for many years and felt an extreme desire to change the direction of their life...even at the young age of 54 as I am. Coming first hand and from someone in the business, I hope they can tell me the PROS and CONS of the business and the potential money I can possibly make in the business. I have the utmost respect for folks in the trucking industry, so I hope someone can give me some good advice. This is my first time to post to this site, so thanks in advance for any and all advice.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
The industry has changed a lot in the last several years so I would pretty much dismiss any influence that conversation had and look at the industry with the brew info found here. It's not an easy lifestyle for someone with kids at home but it sounds like you are pretty well setup being debt free. You would just want to have money saved up because earnings will be lower until you figure things out. I would suggest trying to run someone else's Sprinter for a little while to see if the lifestyle works and with most companies you would be an independent contractor so you will know what the figures look like as well. That's a low risk way to test the waters without all of the financial risk and if it's for you then make the jump to ownership.

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hello from Southern Alabama! My name is Dusty Godwin. Dealing with trucking companies and drivers on a daily basis for the past 26 years, I have desired the past 4 or 5 years to own my own Sprinter cargo van and be in business for myself....based on my conversation with one gentleman several years ago. I am ambitious, dedicated in making a living for my family, conservative (not cheap) with every dollar I earn, a positive thinker, DEBT FREE, and a Christian God fearing man. I hope I can get some advice from someone who may have felt trapped in a 8 to 5 office job for many years and felt an extreme desire to change the direction of their life...even at the young age of 54 as I am. Coming first hand and from someone in the business, I hope they can tell me the PROS and CONS of the business and the potential money I can possibly make in the business. I have the utmost respect for folks in the trucking industry, so I hope someone can give me some good advice. This is my first time to post to this site, so thanks in advance for any and all advice.
I agree with Paullud. I was an 8-5er working in town here. I did drive another Sprinter Owner's Van for 2 months prior to purchasing my own...so I could get an idea about expediting and see what the pay would be like. I would suggest that method too before you make the leap, spending $30-43K on a Van and setting it up.

jjtdrv4u

Expert Expediter
old saying in trucking goes something like this, "wanna make 1 million in the trucking business?, then start out with 2 million"...

also, sitting cramped up in an office may have prepared you for the long hours sitting in a van waiting for a load.

and where you are located, there are very few small vehicle expedite loads coming out of south alabama, other than a few out of the montgomery area...and not much from the wiregrass thru the mobile areas.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If you have a decent job with decent pay at a decent company you should stick with it at least until your last is 18, up and out. Teens especially need both parents around all the time, keeping them in line and helping them become good adults. Unless you are the exception, the unexpected, the miracle, you won't make any more money expediting and probably less especially after factoring in the hours involved comparatively. It may sound tempting but your family needs you at home to be the best they can be.

Expediting is great from some standpoints, the travel, the chance to see so many things that otherwise would be missed, friendships that otherwise never would happen. It's also awful from some standpoints, living in an oversized sardine can, 5 out of 6 weeks away from home, missed birthdays, anniversaries, recitals, plays, ballgames, missed meals, bad meals, heat, cold and so on.

Before you do anything, complete your education and your "certificate" in expediting. If you were going to be a bookkeeper or paralegal or other office employee or a plumber or a/c guy or other tradesman you would go through a several months long course to learn to do it. Expediting is no different. It is a career. It shouldn't be entered lightly or uninformed. Your "education" and "certificate" are right here in the online university of expediting. Read back at least the last 3 years in the General, Newbies and Recruiter forums. That means read every single thread title in each of those for 3 years. Any thread that sounds remotely educational for you to learn this career, read every single word of every single post. Then you'll know just enough to be dangerous but hopefully just enough to make a final decision. Good luck.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If you have a decent job with decent pay at a decent company you should stick with it at least until your last is 18, up and out. Teens especially need both parents around all the time, keeping them in line and helping them become good adults. Unless you are the exception, the unexpected, the miracle, you won't make any more money expediting and probably less especially after factoring in the hours involved comparatively. It may sound tempting but your family needs you at home to be the best they can be.

Expediting is great from some standpoints, the travel, the chance to see so many things that otherwise would be missed, friendships that otherwise never would happen. It's also awful from some standpoints, living in an oversized sardine can, 5 out of 6 weeks away from home, missed birthdays, anniversaries, recitals, plays, ballgames, missed meals, bad meals, heat, cold and so on.
Do listen to what LDB is telling you. He is absolutely correct on this subject. :D

Dusty Godwin

New Recruit
The industry has changed a lot in the last several years so I would pretty much dismiss any influence that conversation had and look at the industry with the brew info found here. It's not an easy lifestyle for someone with kids at home but it sounds like you are pretty well setup being debt free. You would just want to have money saved up because earnings will be lower until you figure things out. I would suggest trying to run someone else's Sprinter for a little while to see if the lifestyle works and with most companies you would be an independent contractor so you will know what the figures look like as well. That's a low risk way to test the waters without all of the financial risk and if it's for you then make the jump to ownership.

Dusty Godwin

New Recruit
I sure do appreciate your honesty about all that you said. It is just my wife and I at home. Neither of us are geared to spend above our means, so I certainly understand about being ultra conservative and "not counting our chickens before tey hatch". Your advice of testing the waters is a great idea, but I am not sure who I might contact to go this route. My wife is retired from the banking industry and I would certainly like to make more myself.....but I've just about burnt out on my office job. I may be considering a "hard way to make a living", but I certainly listen to all the good advice given to me by well seasoned veterans of the industry. Can you advice me a reputable company to speak with a recruiter? What kind of money can an owner operator make on average? Thanks for your kindness and advice.

Dusty Godwin

New Recruit
Do listen to what LDB is telling you. He is absolutely correct on this subject. :D[/QUOT

Thanks for your support as I think about all the information people are willing to share with me. At my age, I am still old enough to listen to good advice! If one ever gets too old to listen, then they are asking for problems.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
All good advice. And you sound ready, much as anyone can be, but here's the thing: it's not just a change from the 8-5 routine, it's a huge change from every routine.
You can call recruiters for the carriers advertising here, and they can tell you whether they have fleet owners looking for drivers, and you can check the classified ads here for "driver wanted" ads. You should have a CDL, [though every carrier doesn't require it], and be prepared to spend weeks away from home at a time. We go where the freight needs to go, and it's [almost] never a round trip, lol.
I hope your wife is cool with having you gone so much, or planning to go along, because it's tough enough without additional friction.
Last bit of advice: if you try it and decide to buy your own vehicle, take the advice of those here who have years of experience in creating a vehicle you can be comfortable in. It makes all the difference.
Oh, and best of luck!

PS Don't start out with the common mindset that it's all about "how many miles". It's all about how much it costs you to run those miles, [something you absolutely need to know] and how many are paid vs empty. All else being equal, it's better for the vehicle and the driver to "run less, make more". If you sign on with one of the lowball carriers, stick it out until you learn enough to move to a better one, [you'll learn who's who by reading here and talking to others while parked] but don't be a jumper - it costs money to move. And sometimes, the grass is greener - but it's only because of all the manure on it. ;)

Dusty Godwin

New Recruit

Considering that I live in southern Alabama, can you suggest a reputable company I coud speak with about the business? I honestly have no idea what owner operator can make, much less what I could make doing a test run in someone else's Sprinter. I think it is a wonderful way to test the waters to see how much a enjoy the business. We have no children at home. I sure do thank you for your kind words and advise.

Dusty Godwin

New Recruit
All good advice. And you sound ready, much as anyone can be, but here's the thing: it's not just a change from the 8-5 routine, it's a huge change from every routine.
You can call recruiters for the carriers advertising here, and they can tell you whether they have fleet owners looking for drivers, and you can check the classified ads here for "driver wanted" ads. You should have a CDL, [though every carrier doesn't require it], and be prepared to spend weeks away from home at a time. We go where the freight needs to go, and it's [almost] never a round trip, lol.
I hope your wife is cool with having you gone so much, or planning to go along, because it's tough enough without additional friction.
Last bit of advice: if you try it and decide to buy your own vehicle, take the advice of those here who have years of experience in creating a vehicle you can be comfortable in. It makes all the difference.
Oh, and best of luck!

PS Don't start out with the common mindset that it's all about "how many miles". It's all about how much it costs you to run those miles, [something you absolutely need to know] and how many are paid vs empty. All else being equal, it's better for the vehicle and the driver to "run less, make more". If you sign on with one of the lowball carriers, stick it out until you learn enough to move to a better one, [you'll learn who's who by reading here and talking to others while parked] but don't be a jumper - it costs money to move. And sometimes, the grass is greener - but it's only because of all the manure on it. ;)

What wonderful advice you seem to be giving me! I really do thank you for your honesty as it sounds like you are certainly speaking from the heart. My wife is retired from the banking industry, but we absolutely love being together. Even though she is not so comfortable with my possible career change, she will be supportive in whatever we decide together. I'd say that she would be willing to travel with me if we were somewhat comfortable in our new accommodations. I am totally ignorant as to how the business works, but I am all ears when it comes to listening to people like yourself. I have no idea what companies to speak with, nor do I have any idea what kind of money could be made in the industry. To tell you how burnt out I am working in an office environment would be difficult for me to explain. We are comfortable financially having her retirement and also having a couple of new construction cottages in our area. She suggested that I get a 4 hour a day job as a school bus driver...considering the wonderful benefits they have. She is undoubtedly smarter than I am as it probably sounds from my writing. Thank you again for your kind remarks and advice! Stay safe and prosper! God Bless!

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Lots of drivers [and fleet owners and recruiters] can tell you what you could make, but it's variable. As in: wildly. First, because it depends on so many factors, beginning with your cost per mile, then how many miles you get paid for, [and how many you don't], plus maintenance, repairs, living expenses [road and home?] and don't forget: you're an independent contractor, so you pay all bennies & taxes. [But you get deductions, and a per diem for every day away from home.] A good week can get you 2500 miles [not sure what Sprinters avg, about $1.20 mile?] If you drive for an owner, the standard/usual split is 60/40, with whomever pays for fuel getting the 60 - and they should get !00% of the FSC [fuel surcharge, added to the rate by carriers, sometimes it's fixed, some use a variable rate]. If you pay for fuel, an average net is about one third of the total, so 2500 miles would be about $850 take home. But remember: every week is not a good one - there will be weeks when you get 200 miles, and sit somewhere [or alternate with driving empty to what you hope is a better spot] for 6 of 7 days. In a truckstop. [Or WalMart, lol]. Even that's better than the weeks when something breaks - repairs are not cheap! [And as Turtle says, Sprinters are not American slop buckets - they need particular care. And parts.]
Second, what you will net depends a lot on your own behavior - I'm guessing you are pretty frugal, [don't eat out a lot, or blow money on touristy stuff], but you still have to eat every day, and have something to do while waiting for dispatch to find you a load.
You can see why it's near impossible to suggest any numbers: it could be a lot, or it could be negative [that's when something breaks.] You have to look at the big picture: not this week, but this month, or this quarter, and average it out that way.
I'd say give it a try, if you find a fleet owner you think you can work with. [I'd ask to talk to previous drivers, and expect a contract to check before signing, with all terms explicitly spelled out.] That's the only way to learn what you want to know. Whatever you don't learn, well, that's what EO is for. [That and not spending money while waiting for a load, lol] :)

Reactions: Moot and Mailer

Dusty Godwin

New Recruit
Lots of drivers [and fleet owners and recruiters] can tell you what you could make, but it's variable. As in: wildly. First, because it depends on so many factors, beginning with your cost per mile, then how many miles you get paid for, [and how many you don't], plus maintenance, repairs, living expenses [road and home?] and don't forget: you're an independent contractor, so you pay all bennies & taxes. [But you get deductions, and a per diem for every day away from home.] A good week can get you 2500 miles [not sure what Sprinters avg, about $1.20 mile?] If you drive for an owner, the standard/usual split is 60/40, with whomever pays for fuel getting the 60 - and they should get !00% of the FSC [fuel surcharge, added to the rate by carriers, sometimes it's fixed, some use a variable rate]. If you pay for fuel, an average net is about one third of the total, so 2500 miles would be about $850 take home. But remember: every week is not a good one - there will be weeks when you get 200 miles, and sit somewhere [or alternate with driving empty to what you hope is a better spot] for 6 of 7 days. In a truckstop. [Or WalMart, lol]. Even that's better than the weeks when something breaks - repairs are not cheap! [And as Turtle says, Sprinters are not American slop buckets - they need particular care. And parts.]
Second, what you will net depends a lot on your own behavior - I'm guessing you are pretty frugal, [don't eat out a lot, or blow money on touristy stuff], but you still have to eat every day, and have something to do while waiting for dispatch to find you a load.
You can see why it's near impossible to suggest any numbers: it could be a lot, or it could be negative [that's when something breaks.] You have to look at the big picture: not this week, but this month, or this quarter, and average it out that way.
I'd say give it a try, if you find a fleet owner you think you can work with. [I'd ask to talk to previous drivers, and expect a contract to check before signing, with all terms explicitly spelled out.] That's the only way to learn what you want to know. Whatever you don't learn, well, that's what EO is for. [That and not spending money while waiting for a load, lol] :)

You are absolutely brilliant in the things you tell me. Some things you say are somewhat scarey! But I certainly understand your numbers. As the old saying goes..."figures don't lie". As for our lifestyle, we certainly are "frugal" in many ways, but we have learned so much in our years together. We enjoy life by going out to eat more than the average person. We go on vacation several times a year too, but nothing we do is extreme. My wife is wonderful with money and probably better than I am. She is simply brilliant! It seems if you work for a company that looks out for a drivers better interest, then you have a winning combination. The problem is that I do not know who to trust. I guess it will be trial and error if I decide to go this route. Sitting around several days at a time or just making 200 miles in a week are all possibilities, but would be a difficult experience my first weeks in the business. I think I will frame this post you sent me....maybe even memorize it!

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
You want scary? I'm so bored right now, I'd embroider it, lol.
I hate holiday weekends! Truth: I'm procrastinating. I moved into this truck almost 2 weeks ago, and I still haven't finished putting stuff 'away' yet. [Moving it onto the bed when driving, and the drivers seat the rest of the time - 'it' being a couple trash bags full of clothes & linens]. I really hate disorder & clutter, so I'm getting it sorted, but slowly. And I stopped to make spaghetti, and wash dishes. [In a straight truck]
One more thing: if you like books, Audible is awesome! [There are Garmins that will play Audible books, too, it's hard to hear in the truck, but a Sprinter should be cake] Listening to a good book makes the long boring parts nice, IMO. Of course, listening to speech [as opposed to music] keeps me awake - if it puts you to sleep, bad idea, lol. But it helps to find something to occupy your mind on long boring stretches, whether Sirius/XM radio, phone chats, audiobooks, whatever works. And don't forget to exercise the leg muscles, don't need blood clots!
Oh - sorry, didn't mean to scare you again, lol. :D

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I've been off the road since my father died, July 4, 2012. Prior to that I drove a Chev. G3500 for a few years. I was with Fedex and they paid 85cpm loaded plus fsc which was usually around 15cpm so roughly a dollar a mile loaded. I don't think they had a Sprinter rate at that time. I don't know about now. My van had the 6.0 engine. I drove for mpg and was fairly good at it so 18mpg was usual and 19mpg wasn't unheard of. Combined with the lower price of gasoline that put my fuel cost around 70 cents a gallon or about 4 cents a mile net cost. That and a paid for van made it acceptably profitable.

Weeks ran the gamut from killer weeks with a couple thousand loaded miles to stinkers with 400 miles for the week. Once in a while they would call with a job before the current run was finished. Usually you'd finish and sit a while waiting on the next load. The waiting can get long and old. It's part of it and can't be avoided. Loving to read and having a Kindle can be a great help.

Do a LOT of research on gas/diesel. Do a lot of thinking on wheelbases and overhang. Everyone will say get one of the tall vans and that's probably good advice and the way to go however when the entry cost of a 2-3 year old G3500 compared to any of the tall vans is something to consider as well. From your location you might have to head for the Atlanta area or Memphis area to get good load opportunities. You might have to deadhead home from there as well. Do a LOT of research before you commit to anything.

Reactions: Moot and Mailer

Dusty Godwin

New Recruit
You want scary? I'm so bored right now, I'd embroider it, lol.
I hate holiday weekends! Truth: I'm procrastinating. I moved into this truck almost 2 weeks ago, and I still haven't finished putting stuff 'away' yet. [Moving it onto the bed when driving, and the drivers seat the rest of the time - 'it' being a couple trash bags full of clothes & linens]. I really hate disorder & clutter, so I'm getting it sorted, but slowly. And I stopped to make spaghetti, and wash dishes. [In a straight truck]
One more thing: if you like books, Audible is awesome! [There are Garmins that will play Audible books, too, it's hard to hear in the truck, but a Sprinter should be cake] Listening to a good book makes the long boring parts nice, IMO. Of course, listening to speech [as opposed to music] keeps me awake - if it puts you to sleep, bad idea, lol. But it helps to find something to occupy your mind on long boring stretches, whether Sirius/XM radio, phone chats, audiobooks, whatever works. And don't forget to exercise the leg muscles, don't need blood clots!
Oh - sorry, didn't mean to scare you again, lol. :D

I am trying to imagine your situation right now. I guess you try to figure out ways to occupy your time, but mostly your mind! May I ask what kind of accommodations you have in your vehicle? It is funny to some extent, but my wife ask me what kind of tax deductible expense would it be to purchase a Sprinter. I told her my guess would be $40 to $50,000. That part did not bother her as much as her thinking about my suddenly doing something while she is visiting her family in Brazil! She knows me well enough to know I would never make a decision like this without her. The positive for her would be her traveling with me some. How many years have you been in the business? I have to assume you must make a decent living for you to continue in the business. I am quite sure you have figured out some cost savings short cuts too, especially during those lean times. You scare me every time I read a different post from you! Ha! Ha! That's not a bad thing though! I just call it "telling the truth"! Oh yeah......how big of a driving area do you normally cover? This would be interesting to know.....and ponder!

Dusty Godwin

New Recruit
I've been off the road since my father died, July 4, 2012. Prior to that I drove a Chev. G3500 for a few years. I was with Fedex and they paid 85cpm loaded plus fsc which was usually around 15cpm so roughly a dollar a mile loaded. I don't think they had a Sprinter rate at that time. I don't know about now. My van had the 6.0 engine. I drove for mpg and was fairly good at it so 18mpg was usual and 19mpg wasn't unheard of. Combined with the lower price of gasoline that put my fuel cost around 70 cents a gallon or about 4 cents a mile net cost. That and a paid for van made it acceptably profitable.

Weeks ran the gamut from killer weeks with a couple thousand loaded miles to stinkers with 400 miles for the week. Once in a while they would call with a job before the current run was finished. Usually you'd finish and sit a while waiting on the next load. The waiting can get long and old. It's part of it and can't be avoided. Loving to read and having a Kindle can be a great help.

Do a LOT of research on gas/diesel. Do a lot of thinking on wheelbases and overhang. Everyone will say get one of the tall vans and that's probably good advice and the way to go however when the entry cost of a 2-3 year old G3500 compared to any of the tall vans is something to consider as well. From your location you might have to head for the Atlanta area or Memphis area to get good load opportunities. You might have to deadhead home from there as well. Do a LOT of research before you commit to anything.

I can certainly tell that you had been doing this job for quite a while. You certainly sound like a seasoned driver. I was figuring that I would either have to travel north or south from where I am living. Flomaton, AL is 45 miles both of P'cola, FL and 60 miles east of Mobile. It seems it would e an exciting life to lead, but you and all the other good folks have given me much food for thought. My wife would probably love traveling with me in this capacity....providing I can make things comfortable for the two of us. I just have no idea how equipped I can get when purchasing a new "ride", but you have given my something to certainly think about.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I am trying to imagine your situation right now. I guess you try to figure out ways to occupy your time, but mostly your mind! May I ask what kind of accommodations you have in your vehicle? It is funny to some extent, but my wife ask me what kind of tax deductible expense would it be to purchase a Sprinter. I told her my guess would be $40 to $50,000. That part did not bother her as much as her thinking about my suddenly doing something while she is visiting her family in Brazil! She knows me well enough to know I would never make a decision like this without her. The positive for her would be her traveling with me some. How many years have you been in the business? I have to assume you must make a decent living for you to continue in the business. I am quite sure you have figured out some cost savings short cuts too, especially during those lean times. You scare me every time I read a different post from you! Ha! Ha! That's not a bad thing though! I just call it "telling the truth"! Oh yeah......how big of a driving area do you normally cover? This would be interesting to know.....and ponder!

I have everything including the kitchen sink - trucks are much like RVs these days. At least ours are, because we stay out for so long, and I need to cook for myself, I dislike fast food. I don't have a toilet/shower, as some do, and don't want it - too much weight. I have a good [Thetford] porta potty, and we get free showers in return for fuel purchases. Also, I drive for Load 1, and can take a shower anytime I'm near the office [in Taylor]. Or on the Ohio turnpike, if there's time to stop. Plus, I have friends & family scattered all over the place, with showers if I ask. :)
I started driving about 12 years ago, in a semi, over the road. That was too big for me, [I'm 5'2", and solo - no team driving any more, lol] so I downsized to a cargo van in expedited after a year. That was too small, [just call me Goldilocks, lol] so I settled on a straight truck, which I drive for a fleet owner. [Something I should have made clear earlier: the owner is responsible for all maintenance & repair costs. A good driver will do what maintenance they can, and minimize the cost, because we are on the same team, and we both need to make money.]
I make enough to keep doing it, anyway. It helps that I love driving [I've always been a reader, and wanted to see all the places I've read about] and I like being alone. I don't have any problem entertaining myself [can always go write something on the Soapbox Forum, lol] because I like to make things and be creative. Also, between truck maintenance, housekeeping, shopping [food, not shoes!], paperwork, bookkeeping, cooking, and blasted dusting every blasted day! there's no lack of things to do. When there is, I grab something and paint it, lol. Like Leo, [LDB], I love my Kindle!
There's a lot of cost cutting things I've learned over the years, and I promise to list some, if you go on the road. Right now, though, the Kindle is calling me, so I'll say goodnight, and know you have a lot to consider already.

Reactions: Moot

Dusty Godwin

New Recruit
I have everything including the kitchen sink - trucks are much like RVs these days. At least ours are, because we stay out for so long, and I need to cook for myself, I dislike fast food. I don't have a toilet/shower, as some do, and don't want it - too much weight. I have a good [Thetford] porta potty, and we get free showers in return for fuel purchases. Also, I drive for Load 1, and can take a shower anytime I'm near the office [in Taylor]. Or on the Ohio turnpike, if there's time to stop. Plus, I have friends & family scattered all over the place, with showers if I ask. :)
I started driving about 12 years ago, in a semi, over the road. That was too big for me, [I'm 5'2", and solo - no team driving any more, lol] so I downsized to a cargo van in expedited after a year. That was too small, [just call me Goldilocks, lol] so I settled on a straight truck, which I drive for a fleet owner. [Something I should have made clear earlier: the owner is responsible for all maintenance & repair costs. A good driver will do what maintenance they can, and minimize the cost, because we are on the same team, and we both need to make money.]
I make enough to keep doing it, anyway. It helps that I love driving [I've always been a reader, and wanted to see all the places I've read about] and I like being alone. I don't have any problem entertaining myself [can always go write something on the Soapbox Forum, lol] because I like to make things and be creative. Also, between truck maintenance, housekeeping, shopping [food, not shoes!], paperwork, bookkeeping, cooking, and blasted dusting every blasted day! there's no lack of things to do. When there is, I grab something and paint it, lol. Like Leo, [LDB], I love my Kindle!
There's a lot of cost cutting things I've learned over the years, and I promise to list some, if you go on the road. Right now, though, the Kindle is calling me, so I'll say goodnight, and know you have a lot to consider already.

Well, it is now Monday evening...and yes....you have given me much to think about for sure. Having been in an office job all these years, I admit it is still scarey....like the unknown for me. You must love the business, but you have figured out how to run a successful business for yourself. You have been so kind to share so much information, but many kind people have done the same thing. It seems that no one has painted any pretty pictures of this business. I think he biggest drawback would be my living in southern Alabama. I absolutely love the driving experience alone, but it does seems you spend a great deal of your life away from home. I currently work about 45 hours a week, I am home every night and every weekend...get 3-4 weeks vacation a year. You are probably saying...."Are you crazy?" ha!! Probably does seem crazy that I am thinking about leaving all of this to possibly venture out in a totally different direction. I guess the only people that probably understand my thinking are those who have sat in an office day after day....year after year. My wife and I planned for me to retire at age 62, but she sees the mental fatigue wearing on me each day. Well, we will certainly see how things progress in the future. My wife will be home in about three weeks, so I am quite sure we will talk things out. I seriously doubt that you are awake this time of night. You will have to let me know when and if they called you about another load. Exciting to hear you talk about your routine!