Here We Go Again

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
This probably doesn't even need an introduction; two black men attempt to steal beer from a Safeway in Olympia, WA get shot and wounded resisting arrest when a cop catches up with them. The common theme that has been so widely publicized is that regardless if it's warranted, when somebody resists arrest they are likely to be the victim of deadly force by the cops and these people keep doing it anyway. Maybe something can be done about the trigger-happy cops, but these kinds of criminals are just plain stupid and there's no fixing that.

How will the local authorities handle the situation? Will riots erupt and neighborhoods be destroyed? Stay tuned.

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/...shot-by-Olympia-police-officer-304558971.html

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
When cops can "respond with deadly force" to everyone who "resists arrest", and they get to define "resist", we have lost the reason and rule of law.

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That's it, right out of the gate, blame the victims.
"Victims"?? What victims? Right out of the gate the assumption is the police are using unnecessary lethal force before all the facts are known. If these two guys were innocent they should have cooperated when stopped by the cop and then gone on their way. Apparently that wasn't the case since the Safeway employees gave good descriptions of the two criminals that tried to rob their store and the cop had reasonable cause to stop the two suspects, and things went downhill from there.
Roberts said when the officer exited the car, he was attacked by one of the men. The officer shot him. The two suspects ran into a nearby wooded area, and the officer reported that shots had been fired.

The men walked back to the road a short time later, and engaged in another confrontation with the officer, Roberts said. The second suspect was shot multiple times in the torso.

Roberts said the officer wasn’t injured in the attack.

But Chief Deputy Watkins, of the Thurston County Sheriff’s Office, said there is some evidence that an assault occurred.

Read more here: http://www.theolympian.com/2015/05/21/3738412_olympia-police-shooting-sister.html?rh=1#storylink=cpy
As in the early stages of the Ferguson case, people are jumping to the conclusion without knowing all the facts that determine whether or not the cop was unjustified in the shooting. If it turns out he's another trigger-happy redneck then he'll be the one in prison; on the other hand, if it's proven that the two suspects did resist arrest and attack the officer they'll not only be the guilty ones - they'll be the stupid ones. After all the publicity about these recent shootings why can't these wannabe badazzes understand that even appearing to threaten an armed cop is a really bad idea?

Additional trivial info: the average skateboard is about 30" long, 7-10" wide and weighs about 7-8 lbs.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
"Victims"?? What victims?
The gunshot victims. The ones who were merely suspected of stealing beer.

Right out of the gate the assumption is the police are using unnecessary lethal force before all the facts are known.
No, right out of the gate, before all the facts are known, you presented the two gunshot victims as being guilty of attempting to steel the beer. Go look at the OP and look at your own wording. They attempted to steal beer and then they were shot. All we know is that they matched the description, but so did several others in the area who had been skateboarding in the park. If you had written the "two men who were suspected of stealing beer..." that would be one thing, but you went straight to 'that's the ones who did it' without really knowing. Your knee-jerk reaction was to defer to the police, that the police had the right guys, did nothing wrong, and the reason the two guys got shot is because they resisted arrest and didn't submit to the police, that they got shot due to their own fault. That's pretty impressive considering we don't know all, or even very many of the facts.

I made no such assumptions as to right or wrong or guilt or innocence, I merely pointed out the fact that you did. I used the term victim, because a victim is literally a person harmed, injured, or killed as a result of a crime, accident, or other event or action. I make no assumption by using that word as to whether it was a crime in the part of the office, fully justified in his part, an accident, or anything else.

I do think resisting arrest shouldn't lead to a lethal force response, especially when the suspicions are over an attempt to steal beer. And I think making a reasonable assertion that a skateboard is a lethal weapon is just absurd, especially when of the office really and truly "feared for his life," the officer could have pulled his gun, from 21 feet away, of course, and said, "Drop the skateboard, and take two steps back." He never should have gotten close enough to then to affect am arrest while they still had those lethal skateboards in their hands.

If these two guys were innocent they should have cooperated when stopped by the cop and then gone on their way.
Unless they had a reason to believe they wouldn't be able to then go on their way,of course.

Apparently that wasn't the case since the Safeway employees gave good descriptions of the two criminals that tried to rob their store and the cop had reasonable cause to stop the two suspects, and things went downhill from there.
Just because they matched a description doesn't mean they are guilty of anything. But I can certainly understand deferring to the cops on that one. Why run if you're not guilty? Why not let me search your vehicle if you have nothing to hide? Why not let me listen in on your phone conversations if you're not up to something?

As in the early stages of the Ferguson case, people are jumping to the conclusion without knowing all the facts that determine whether or not the cop was unjustified in the shooting. If it turns out he's another trigger-happy redneck then he'll be the one in prison; on the other hand, if it's proven that the two suspects did resist arrest and attack the officer they'll not only be the guilty ones - they'll be the stupid ones. After all the publicity about these recent shootings why can't these wannabe badazzes understand that even appearing to threaten an armed cop is a really bad idea?
Because that's exactly the attitude that cops who abuse their authority and police with a bias wants the public to take?

Additional trivial info: the average skateboard is about 30" long, 7-10" wide and weighs about 7-8 lbs.
Scary stuff. Almost as scary as a cop with a gun and a "I can do whatever I want and get away with it" badge.

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The gunshot victims. The ones who were merely suspected of stealing beer.
Once again you're misrepresenting what I posted: read the article. I'm talking about the two suspects who are accused of assaulting the officer.
No, right out of the gate, before all the facts are known, you presented the two gunshot victims as being guilty of attempting to steel the beer. Go look at the OP and look at your own wording. They attempted to steal beer and then they were shot.
Once again, these two were shot while supposedly resisting arrest. Whether or not they were the ones who tried to steal the beer is irrelevant to the shooting. If they were not the shoplifters they could have easily dealt with the cop and proven their innocence.
I made no such assumptions as to right or wrong or guilt or innocence, I merely pointed out the fact that you did.
The usage of the term "victim" implies innocence. Once again, you're trying to improperly relate the shooting to the attempted shoplifting. THEY WERE NOT SHOT WHILE TRYING TO STEAL THE BEER. They were shot because the cop claims they attacked him and resisted arrest. The investigation of that claim is still a work in progress.
I do think resisting arrest shouldn't lead to a lethal force response, especially when the suspicions are over an attempt to steal beer...
A nonsensical statement. One has nothing to do with the other, and this constant relation to the attempted beer theft is a lame attempt to justify their victim status. Using that logic, police should just ignore shoplifters and thieves or let them go if they run or resist arrest. If the investigation reveals that they actually did attack the officer, then they should be prosecuted for that after they get out of the hospital; if they tried to steal the beer, charges should be brought for that also. Regarding the out-of-control cop mantra, there doesn't seem to be a history of that kind of abuse in Olympia. In any case, we'll see what the investigation reveals. Personally, I'm betting it will turn out similar to Ferguson: suspected shoplifter gets stopped, resists arrest and turns violent, gets shot by cop; cop gets exonerated and starts getting death threats, has to move with his family to another state and change careers.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Once again you're misrepresenting what I posted: read the article. I'm talking about the two suspects who are accused of assaulting the officer.
I'm not misrepresenting anything. You flatly stated that the same two men who were shot by the police officer was the same two men who attempted to steal beer, and that the same two men accused or resisting arrest. "...two black men attempt to steal beer from a Safeway in Olympia, WA get shot and wounded resisting arrest when a cop catches up with them." There is no question in that sentence that it's the same two men start to finish. They didn't allegedly attempt to steal the beer, they aren't accused of attempting to stealing the beer, they flatly attempted to steal the beer. You found them guilty of attempting to steal beer, right out of the gate. There is no other way to represent that statement.

Then you proceeded to blame the guys who got shot, you know, the gunshot victims, for being " just plain stupid and there's no fixing that."

Whether you're talking about the two suspects who are accused of assaulting the officer, or the two suspects who stole the beer, they are the victim of gunshot wounds nonetheless.

Once again, these two were shot while supposedly resisting arrest. Whether or not they were the ones who tried to steal the beer is irrelevant to the shooting. If they were not the shoplifters they could have easily dealt with the cop and proven their innocence.
So, resisting arrest is supposed to justify a shooting? And if they were not guilty, they had nothing to worry about and should have complied, and by not complying they somehow prove their guilt? Did you just say that they should hae proved their innocence? Seriously?

The usage of the term "victim" implies innocence.
No it doesn't. It implies whatever I want it to imply. You can infer it however you want. But I know the definition of victim, and it has nothing to do with guilt or innocence.

Once again, you're trying to improperly relate the shooting to the attempted shoplifting. THEY WERE NOT SHOT WHILE TRYING TO STEAL THE BEER. They were shot because the cop claims they attacked him and resisted arrest. The investigation of that claim is still a work in progress.
I'm relating it to them being suspected of attempted shoplifting, rather than a violent felony, and for whatever reason the cop managed to escalate it to something deadly serious. As for the cop's claims, I'll need something more than his say so on the 'they attacked him' count, because I'll bet if they did, it wasn't an unprovoked attack. As for resisting arrest, unless they were considered armed with something other than a skateboard, resisting arrest doesn't justify shooting them.

A nonsensical statement. One has nothing to do with the other, and this constant relation to the attempted beer theft is a lame attempt to justify their victim status. [/quote]Not even close. The suspicion of attempted beer stealing is the probable cause that directly led to the cop stopping them in the first place.

Using that logic, police should just ignore shoplifters and thieves or let them go if they run or resist arrest.
The police shouldn't ignore them, but they also shouldn't shoot them if they resist or run. The police also shouldn't, by their own actions, create a situation where they feel justified in shooting someone in those circumstances. It is, in fact, better to let them get away than it is to shoot someone over a minor crime. If the police try and place someone in custody and the suspect fights back, if the police can't gain control in any other way other than to shoot them, then they should let them go.

If the investigation reveals that they actually did attack the officer, then they should be prosecuted for that after they get out of the hospital; if they tried to steal the beer, charges should be brought for that also.
And I'm sure they will. Especially considering cops and prosecutors tend to lay the charges on pretty thick.

Regarding the out-of-control cop mantra, there doesn't seem to be a history of that kind of abuse in Olympia. In any case, we'll see what the investigation reveals. Personally, I'm betting it will turn out similar to Ferguson: suspected shoplifter gets stopped, resists arrest and turns violent, gets shot by cop; cop gets exonerated and starts getting death threats, has to move with his family to another state and change careers.
History of that in Olympia or not, this could be one of those famous isolated incidents.

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
A classic case of the police reporting all the right buzzwords and catch phrases, some of which are just laughable in this case. When police arrived they found Bill Swan up on his tractor. They told him to get down but he ignored the order. He then tried to back the tractor into the police car (but missed). He then turned the tractor around and tried to run over the police officers. With his tractor. Bill then tried to flee the scene. On his tractor. Bill was bookin' it so fast that one of the officers walked over and climbed up onto the tractor and turned it off. That's when Bill went for the officer's gun and tried to take it out of the holster. That's when the officer struck Bill several times with his fists and dragged (pushed) Bill off the tractor. Bill was then beaten and kicked multiple times to subdue him. The police stated they feared for their lives.

Bill was charged with disorderly conduct, resisting arrest (of course), and two counts of assaulting a police officer.

Last edited:

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Bill was then beaten and kicked multiple times to subdue him. The police stated they feared for their lives.

They (the police) might have had an argument up to that point. From that point on they lost any argument they had to justify their actions.

Reactions: Pilgrim

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'm not misrepresenting anything. You flatly stated that the same two men who were shot by the police officer was the same two men who attempted to steal beer, and that the same two men accused or resisting arrest. "...two black men attempt to steal beer from a Safeway in Olympia, WA get shot and wounded resisting arrest when a cop catches up with them." There is no question in that sentence that it's the same two men start to finish. They didn't allegedly attempt to steal the beer, they aren't accused of attempting to stealing the beer, they flatly attempted to steal the beer. You found them guilty of attempting to steal beer, right out of the gate. There is no other way to represent that statement.

Then you proceeded to blame the guys who got shot, you know, the gunshot victims, for being " just plain stupid and there's no fixing that."
From time to time some people need to be reminded that the vast majority of posts on this forum are OPINIONS - and that one happens to be mine, based on the articles and reports coming from the news sources in Olympia. I'll bet it's already been proven that the two men who stole the beer are the same two men who got shot resisting arrest. There was video of them at the store (just like in Ferguson) and I'll bet the female clerk has had a chance to ID them as well. Whether or not you understand the concept, resisting arrest is really, really stupid - especially considering that there are so many out of control, crazy redneck cops out there just looking for any excuse to shoot the first black person they come in contact with.:rolleyes:
So, resisting arrest is supposed to justify a shooting? And if they were not guilty, they had nothing to worry about and should have complied, and by not complying they somehow prove their guilt? Did you just say that they should hae proved their innocence? Seriously?
Believe it or not, resisting arrest can justify a shooting; you may have read about previous instances. And yes, if these two characters were not the two shoplifters they could have easily confirmed their identities to the officer when confronted.
No it doesn't. It implies whatever I want it to imply. You can infer it however you want. But I know the definition of victim, and it has nothing to do with guilt or innocence.
Sorry, but you don't get to reinvent the English language and in this context they would only be victims if it was certain there were no actions on their part that resulted in their injuries. You're just making the blind assumption (i.e. it's your opinion) that they were shot by the cop for no reason, and that hasn't yet been proven. The investigation may instead reveal that the cop was the victim of their assault.
I'm relating it to them being suspected of attempted shoplifting, rather than a violent felony, and for whatever reason the cop managed to escalate it to something deadly serious. As for the cop's claims, I'll need something more than his say so on the 'they attacked him' count, because I'll bet if they did, it wasn't an unprovoked attack. As for resisting arrest, unless they were considered armed with something other than a skateboard, resisting arrest doesn't justify shooting them.
Without any supporting evidence - other than your obvious contempt for the police - you've already decided the cop is guilty of escalating the confrontation and an unjustified shooting. Once again, an unsupported opinion. And FYI, and skateboard can be considered a deadly weapon.
Even though the two men shot did not have guns, Olympia's police chief says a skateboard could be considered a deadly weapon. It will be up to an investigation by the Thurston County Sheriff's Office and other outside agencies before the Thurston County prosecutor determines if the officer was justified in firing his weapon, but that could be more than a month away.

"By law an officer in this state cannot be prosecuted for use of deadly force if they acted 'in good faith and without malice,'" said Thurston County Prosecutor John Tunheim.

http://www.king5.com/story/news/2015/05/21/olympia-police-shooting/27702201/
Once again, here's my opinion: when the investigation is completed it will reveal that these two guys were the shoplifters, that they resisted arrest and the officer was justified in the shooting. Notice that this incident happened several days ago and nothing has been brought forward proving the two perps were not the shoplifters.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
From time to time some people need to be reminded that the vast majority of posts on this forum are OPINIONS - and that one happens to be mine, based on the articles and reports coming from the news sources in Olympia.
I know it is your opinion. It is my opinion, based on your own words, that right out of the gate you blamed the victims.

Whether or not you understand the concept, resisting arrest is really, really stupid - especially considering that there are so many out of control, crazy redneck cops out there just looking for any excuse to shoot the first black person they come in contact with.:rolleyes:
I never said otherwise.

Believe it or not, resisting arrest can justify a shooting; you may have read about previous instances.
Believe it or not, I've already stated in this thread some of the justifiable reasons.

And yes, if these two characters were not the two shoplifters they could have easily confirmed their identities to the officer when confronted.
Confirming their identities wouldn't have proven their innocence.

Sorry, but you don't get to reinvent the English language and in this context they would only be victims if it was certain there were no actions on their part that resulted in their injuries.
Is hilarious that you accuse me of reinventing the English language while reinventing the English language to do it. Go into your kitchen and grab a sharp, pointy knife. Stab your thigh with the knife. You are now a victim of a self-inflicted knife wound. If you get shot with a gun, your a victim of a gunshot wound, no matter what the circumstances are regarding the shooting,irrespective of you guilt or innocence. Go lookup the definition of the word

You're just making the blind assumption (i.e. it's your opinion) that they were shot by the cop for no reason, and that hasn't yet been proven. The investigation may instead reveal that the cop was the victim of their assault.
I didn't make that assumption at all. Where do you come up with this stuff? You're the one who assumes they're guilty, with no facts knowable at this point, even to the degree of blaming them, and must owned the assumption by stating that is your opinion. I never said they didn't do it, you did. I never said the cop wasn't justified, you did. All I did was point out the ridiculousness if your knee keep assumptions in blaming them for resisting arrest, because we don't know if they resisted or not.

Without any supporting evidence - other than your obvious contempt for the police - you've already decided the cop is guilty of escalating the confrontation and an unjustified shooting. Once again, an unsupported opinion.
I only have contempt for bad cops who are afraid, for their life, of shadows, real or imagined, and are too quick to use lethal force and takers, and those who abuse their authority and then lie about it. And I didn't decide tyne cop escalated things, I merely offered it up as a plausible explanation of went things happened. Cops are famous for escalating things. They're trained in escalating things, in fact. And as serve seen in countless videos, they're pretty good at it.

And FYI, and skateboard can be considered a deadly weapon.
You betcha, especially if you need it to be considered one in order to justify an iffy shooting.

Once again, here's my opinion: when the investigation is completed it will reveal that these two guys were the shoplifters, that they resisted arrest and the officer was justified in the shooting. Notice that this incident happened several days ago and nothing has been brought forward proving the two perps were not the shoplifters.
I think you're absolutely correct, in that it will be officially declared a justifiable shooting. But that doesn't mean he was actually justified. I will be very interested in if they state that resisting arrest justified the shooting, tho.

FYI, here's another example of the ridiculous bias in the justice system, the cop with the gun and 'I can do whatever I want and get away with it badge,' and the laudable usage of the ever popular catch phrases that cops use to justify their actions. I dint know if you remember this or saw the video, but it was like a feeding frenzy scene out of "Piranha.'
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/05/2...of-manslaughter-in-2012-deaths.html?referrer=

Last edited:

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Confirming their identities wouldn't have proven their innocence.
It would have proven they weren't the two guys who tried to steal beer; pretty simple. By now national civil rights advocates would be screaming "police brutality" from coast to coast if the cop had shot the wrong guys.
Cops are famous for escalating things. They're trained in escalating things, in fact. And as serve seen in countless videos, they're pretty good at it.
Speaking of redefinitions, with that statement you have just redefined Absurd.

"And FYI, a skateboard can be considered a deadly weapon."
You betcha, especially if you need it to be considered one in order to justify an iffy shooting.
In case you're not aware, use of them as weapons is apparently not all that uncommon among skateboarders
(Bold emphasis mine)
In August 2012, Derek Christopher Adams was sentenced to 46 years to life in state prison for killing a man in 2010 at Murdy Park.

Skateboard have been used as weapons before during altercations at the park, Small said.

"We have had a lot of assaults where skateboards were used as weapons," he said. "When somebody gets in a fight, [skateboards] happen to be a handy thing to have in your hand. Those things are dangerous. They're heavy, big and sharp-edged, and they can do a lot of damage if you hit somebody with them."

http://articles.hbindependent.com/2...3_1_murdy-park-derek-christopher-adams-victim
Granted, there have been some cases of excessive force and police brutality lately but I'll bet this won't be one of them.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
The case Turtle linked to is a classic example of what happens when cops overreact to an assumption that turns out to have been wrong. The victims were in a car that backfired as it passed a police station, and a cop reported over his radio that they shot at the station. On no more evidence than that, the chase was on, involving approximately 1/3 of on duty officers. After the car stopped, there were 132 shots fired into it, and THEN the officer on trial stepped onto the hood and fired 24 [? not sure of the exact number, but a boatload] into the windshield, because he "feared for his life"
And he was acquitted.
Their car backfired, they ran from police because they were on drugs. [The passenger had a history of mental illness, as well] Stupid, yes. Worthy of a death sentence? I don't think so. Was the cop truly afraid for his life? I don't believe it.
Just before the end of the chase, an officer reported over the radio that there were no guns, and the passenger was holding "a can of pop", but no one admits to hearing that, of course.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
It would have proven they weren't the two guys who tried to steal beer; pretty simple.
How? No one at the Safeway knew their identity. The cop didn't know the names of the suspects. Showing their ID would have proved who they were, but all it would have proved.

By now national civil rights advocates would be screaming "police brutality" from coast to coast if the cop had shot the wrong guys.
That's a logical fallacy. Mistaken identity isn't a civil rights issue, for one thing, and civil rights activists claim police brutality in cases where police brutality might have occurred regardless of whether or not the wrong or rights guys were the brunt of the brutality.

Speaking of redefinitions, with that statement you have just redefined Absurd.
The vast majority of police training involves the use of force, how to use the tools available, and in self defense. Almost no training is done in how to de-escalate a situation. They are trained to create situations where they are in complete control. Oftentimes doing what is necessary to take control involves words and actions which in and of themselves escalate to the situation. You may think it's absurd, but that's the reality.

"And FYI, a skateboard can be considered a deadly weapon."

In case you're not aware, use of them as weapons is apparently not all that uncommon among skateboarders
(Bold emphasis mine)
There are very few things that cannot be considered a deadly weapon. All you have to do to make something be considered a deadly weapon is to declare it can be used as a deadly weapon.

Granted, there have been some cases of excessive force and police brutality lately but I'll bet this won't be one of them.
You may be right. I'm reserving judgment until I know more facts.

Brad Watkins, chief deputy of the Thurston County Sheriff's Department said, "There's no indication to me that race was a factor in this case at all." He then commented, "Does the punishment fit the crime? Given the seeming epidemic of this happening not only here but in our country, it makes you pause and wonder what's going on."

In any case, I do think it's interesting that more shots were fired at these two suspects than were fired at the killer bikers in Waco.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
What I find amazing is that Safeway grocery stores still exist. They all disappeared from around here long ago.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Safeway is pretty big. They're mostly out west and in the central part of the country, but they also have stores in the mid Atlantic coastal region. Safeway (about 1400 stores) and Albertsons (about 1000) merged when Cerebrus Capital bought them. They, among with Jewel-Osco and a few other brands owned by Safeway and Albertsons, are the #2 US grocery store chain behind Kroger (about 2460 stores including its 18 or so non-Kroger brands).