Big Truck I work on Hino trucks. I'll answer any questions I know the answers to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Haha 4l60e good old sun she'll might as well put 13 vane pump in too I usually install a gill younger special trans go shift kit prevents that dreaded 1870 slip code
My plans included the trans-go kit, beast sun shell, and a z-pack in the 3-4 clutch. The truck isn't mine. Mostly being used for general contracting and it tows stuff occasionally.

Last edited:

Allen Brenycz

New Recruit
I work in the GPS tracking and in cab monitoring industry and I am having issues with collecting data on the 2015 HINO trucks. In 2014 we were able to tap into pins 6 and 14 to collect the J1939 data including Odometer, RPM, Gallons used, etc. Now with the 2015 models when connecting to those same pins the trucks are having major issues not limited to the dash throwing errors, check engine lights, etc. Any idea how I can collect ALL of that data ? I am able to get RPM and Speed off of the 9 pin using C and V however odometer information is missing.

Any help would be appreciated.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
I work in the GPS tracking and in cab monitoring industry and I am having issues with collecting data on the 2015 HINO trucks. In 2014 we were able to tap into pins 6 and 14 to collect the J1939 data including Odometer, RPM, Gallons used, etc. Now with the 2015 models when connecting to those same pins the trucks are having major issues not limited to the dash throwing errors, check engine lights, etc. Any idea how I can collect ALL of that data ? I am able to get RPM and Speed off of the 9 pin using C and V however odometer information is missing.

Any help would be appreciated.
There is a plug provided under the kick panel (I think, haven't messed with one yet) provided specifically for telemetry and other data monitoring.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Oh yeah I forgot the fitting on back of the pump I didn't notice a oring or a sealing washer on it where it screws into pump the banjo Han sealing washers but not the fitting that screwed unto pump what is suppose to be in there ?

Interestingly enough, a coworker pulled that fitting out today while chasing a P0087, and it was clogged with junk.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Interestingly enough, a coworker pulled that fitting out today while chasing a P0087, and it was clogged with junk.
And for whoever is reading, this is the first time I've run into a functioning pump that has failed to put out sustained max pressure at high volume.

The cause was a very improperly installed fuel filter allowing watery rusty debris into the pump. It's internal strainer was overwhelmed. Even with a source of clean fuel attached directly to the pump (bypassing the entire primary fuel system), full throttle fuel pressure would slowly drop about 3000 psi lower than required.

This took a couple hours before deciding the pump was the culprit. Im uncomfortable condemning expensive parts without thorough testing.

Ex-big leasing company truck that was recently sold to an individual, who luckily experienced the problem within the 30 day warranty. He also got a turbo. Low boost during regen, shaft bushings had extensive wear and it did not turn smoothly.

At least one person will be happy with the outcome. The other party's bottom line just took a big hit.

I just fix 'em, I can't help the rest.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
It's getting hotter than Hades out, so the air conditioning questions are nailing my private messages.

If you have a refrigerant charge, and the blower motor switch and ac button function but the compressor does not come on, check for voltage at the pressure switch. If none, check the 'room light' fuse. The ac fuses operate various relays. The room light fuse is the source of power that goes directly to the compressor. If the fuse has power, check the ac and heater relays.

Reactions: jmak

SoKali

New Recruit
Hi greasy. I need a hand. I have a 2015 Hino 268. From the day I got it (52 miles) until now (19000 miles) I have had an issue. The truck, at times, will limit/control the rpms through the first 2 gears. It keeps rpm below 1500 until 20 mph then it releases and revs up as normal. I've tried a combination of things to try to prevent it to no avail. It happens in drive/overdrive/1st/2nd gear, with/without engine brake on, power vs econ mode ect. Once it limits the rpm there are 2 options: give it gas until over 20 mph or stop and put it in park and start over. If going up hill it is nearly impossible to reach the needed speed. Is this normal ?
Thanks for any info.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Hi greasy. I need a hand. I have a 2015 Hino 268. From the day I got it (52 miles) until now (19000 miles) I have had an issue. The truck, at times, will limit/control the rpms through the first 2 gears. It keeps rpm below 1500 until 20 mph then it releases and revs up as normal. I've tried a combination of things to try to prevent it to no avail. It happens in drive/overdrive/1st/2nd gear, with/without engine brake on, power vs econ mode ect. Once it limits the rpm there are 2 options: give it gas until over 20 mph or stop and put it in park and start over. If going up hill it is nearly impossible to reach the needed speed. Is this normal ?
Thanks for any info.
Are the brake lights on for no reason? Sounds like pedal switch adjustment.

SoKali

New Recruit
Are the brake lights on for no reason? Sounds like pedal switch adjustment.
There are no lights on and the brakes work well. It seems random. Happened 3 times in a row then none for 30 minutes. It holds the acceleration % at ~ 40 % according to the computer, no matter how hard you accelerate. If you ease off the gas then accelerate again it will only go up to 40% acceleration until 20 mph. It seems computer limited to me ?!

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
There are no lights on and the brakes work well. It seems random. Happened 3 times in a row then none for 30 minutes. It holds the acceleration % at ~ 40 % according to the computer, no matter how hard you accelerate. If you ease off the gas then accelerate again it will only go up to 40% acceleration until 20 mph. It seems computer limited to me ?!
Air or juice brakes?

Don_vincentio

Seasoned Expediter
I've got a 2011 258 that I've had for 3 months now, I recently had the abs light come on along with the brake light on at a very light condition not as bright as the abs light after the abs light came on, as I was driving I noticed the gear selected shown as E on the dash versus OD or D same with any other gear selected, has anyone ever encountered this issue, or know what could potentially be the reason for the E? Thanks in advance for everyone who helps.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
I've got a 2011 258 that I've had for 3 months now, I recently had the abs light come on along with the brake light on at a very light condition not as bright as the abs light after the abs light came on, as I was driving I noticed the gear selected shown as E on the dash versus OD or D same with any other gear selected, has anyone ever encountered this issue, or know what could potentially be the reason for the E? Thanks in advance for everyone who helps.
Can you post a pic of this phenomena? I've never seen this E light you're talking about.

Don_vincentio

Seasoned Expediter
Can you post a pic of this phenomena? I've never seen this E light you're talking about.
It's not a dedicated light, it's on the information screen between the speedometer and tachometer, instead of saying what gear I'm in (I.e. P, R, N, OD, D) it displayed E which went away came back went away came back and so on I parked the truck for 6 hours took it on two test drives with no issues, I'm about to take it on a third to see if it'll happen again, at the same time I was getting E instead of the gear I'm in I was also having problems with the water temp and def amount indicate going from full to empty and back and forth and the water reading at half then C and back and forth. It's been one heck of s weird morning when I was driving the truck.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
It's not a dedicated light, it's on the information screen between the speedometer and tachometer, instead of saying what gear I'm in (I.e. P, R, N, OD, D) it displayed E which went away came back went away came back and so on I parked the truck for 6 hours took it on two test drives with no issues, I'm about to take it on a third to see if it'll happen again, at the same time I was getting E instead of the gear I'm in I was also having problems with the water temp and def amount indicate going from full to empty and back and forth and the water reading at half then C and back and forth. It's been one heck of s weird morning when I was driving the truck.
Sounds like the meter cluster or possibly VCS is going out. I've never seen what you're describing, so that is simply a guess. Some actual troubleshooting needs to be done to get to the bottom of this issue.

Don_vincentio

Seasoned Expediter
Sounds like the meter cluster or possibly VCS is going out. I've never seen what you're describing, so that is simply a guess. Some actual troubleshooting needs to be done to get to the bottom of this issue.
It's a weird issue itself, I've seen clusters go out but for it to show E where the P is in the photo is beyond strange to me. I've got someone that's going to diagnose it tomorrow, thought I'd try the forum before the actual diagnosis to see if someone has encountered this issue before. I also had someone tell me that it could be a wiring problem, it's all hard to say till the mechanic comes to diagnose the truck tomorrow. Hopefully it has nothing to do with the abs and brake light that's also on in the truck. ImageUploadedByEO Forums1432698754.751664.jpg

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
It's a weird issue itself, I've seen clusters go out but for it to show E where the P is in the photo is beyond strange to me. I've got someone that's going to diagnose it tomorrow, thought I'd try the forum before the actual diagnosis to see if someone has encountered this issue before. I also had someone tell me that it could be a wiring problem, it's all hard to say till the mechanic comes to diagnose the truck tomorrow. Hopefully it has nothing to do with the abs and brake light that's also on in the truck. View attachment 11123
Well, if it's driven with the ABS light on, the transmission will overheat, sometimes very badly.

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Hmmm next little weird problem, the wiper washer pump won't work, sent power directly to the pump and it works. When I put my meter on it, shows power all the time but when I push the switch, the power goes away, is there a relay for the washer motor?

Status
Not open for further replies.