I miss my van....

wannatruck

Seasoned Expediter
I started out in "this" industry driving a cargo van for a small outfit. Running hot-shot freight all over the Rocky Mountain Region.

I've been as far west as Page, AZ. and Elko Nv. As far north as the Canadian border (19 miles south of it) and as far east as Birmingham AL. I ran loads that would make most solo drivers cringe in fear. 400 pound crates without a lift gate or forklift for unloading. It was hard work, they were long hours, and days off were few and far between. BUT I LOVED IT. I loved it so much that it drew me into this website and a whole community of people who do EXACTLY what I did, only on a MUCH larger scale. The owner of the company I was driving for bought up the franchise rights for a major freight forwarder, and dedicated all of his resources to servicing that freight which left me without my van........I tried to stay on, even took a crappy desk job, but in the end my desire for the road led me in search of another opportunity.

I took another job, yes job, with a company that delivers freight to the western slope and into a neighboring state. I make all their pickups and load the line haul truck so that it can get to them daily. I like the people I work for, they treat me fairly, my pay is on time and correct, and they honestly appreciate me. BUT I HATE IT.

The open road beckons to me like a flame to a moth. I want to be back out there, with the wind in my hair and a hot piece of freight just begging to be delivered on time. Only one problem, there are VERY few companies where I am that do what I did, and they're not hiring. Everyone is going under or "partnering up" with the larger regional carriers.

I don't want to uproot my family to do what I love, because they love it here. I wish there were more opportunities for expedited drivers out of this "black hole", and more owners willing to put me out there where I belong. I wouldn't mind a regional gig again, but I'd prefer to run the whole 48 and even beyond. I'd be more than happy to be on the road for weeks at a time, maybe even months. I'm depressed running in circles, doing a few local deliveries and a LOT of local pick ups. I want my van back, I want the open road, I want my freedom........

They say do what you love, and you'll never work a day in your life.....
If you are out there, and you truly love it, DON'T EVER GIVE IT UP! (or better yet do, I want your seat!)

wannatruck

Seasoned Expediter
I let my B expire as the opportunity I was looking at didn't pan out. (former fleet owner was looking at purchasing a B class truck) It wouldn't be an issue to go get it back again, as I still pre and post trip my truck every day, and I'm driving one that is as big as the "drive test" truck, just lower weight rating.

That would be a dream to me. Kids being grown, its time to pursue the next stage in my life......I think I'll go have a look.

wannatruck

Seasoned Expediter
Sadly, they're looking for a team. I won't trust just anyone with my life while I sleep, and I wouldn't expect anyone else to either. The only potential partner I have isn't interested in driving a big truck. She wants to go Van. (she's not a big fan of trucks, I can't even get her to try my non-cdl work truck out!) She also has a medical issue that precludes driving a standard transmission. Not that she can't it's just VERY uncomfortable for her. (pins in her leg) So I will continue looking and hoping I can find someone willing to run me as hard as I want to run.