Don't mess with Texas.

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
Early reports indicate two gunmen were shot dead by Garland, TX police outside an art exhibit Sunday night. Billed as a free speech event, a contest was being held encouraging contestants to submit drawings of the prophet Mohammed. It appears the two gunmen might have been angered by the artistic depictions of Mohammed which is prohibited by the tenets of Islam. Perhaps not realizing they would be outgunned anywhere and everywhere in Texas, the two men opened fire on a security guard, resulting in minor wounds to the guard. Garland police arrived on scene and the shooting suspects were dead within moments.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Texas probably isn't the best place to engage in a shooting confrontation. Armed Texas citizens generally know well how to use their firearm.

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
Pamela Geller is now marked for death by Muslim zealots. Because of a cartoon contest, she will have to live the remainder of her life like Salman Rushdie. Killing someone over a cartoon is beyond incredible. Yield to the zealots on free speech and there will be no end to their irrational demands. Why should Islam be a sacred cow? All religions get teased and ridiculed, no exceptions.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Islam shouldn't be and isn't a sacred cow and killing someone over a cartoon is indeed beyond the incredible, but by the same token, why intentionally incite anyone with hate speech wrapped in the façade of free speech? It's rude and inconsiderate, at the very least.

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
When did drawing a cartoon become hate speech? Who decides? Should we establish a shariah council to sit in judgment of art drawn in the United States? Polite speech doesn't need protection. Controversial speech does.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
When did drawing a cartoon become hate speech? Who decides? Should we establish a shariah council to sit in judgment of art drawn in the United States? Polite speech doesn't need protection. Controversial speech does.
Puhleeze. People who don't like Muslims have found the Islamic Reaction Button, trolling to achieve predictable and desired results, and they're gonna keep pressing that button. Drawing a cartoon became hate speech the moment people started doing it to specifically to anger Muslims.

Free speech is not an absolute, as I'm sure you know. You can't use free speech to incite panic, or violence. But even outside of those restraints, just because you can say something, doesn't mean you should.

The "contest" want much of a contest to begin with. It was won by a friend of Pamela Geller who runs a website dedicated to drawing pictures of Muhammad and otherwise pissing off Muslims.

The whole thing is childish, rude and inconsiderate.

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
In a freedom loving country such as the United States, the whole concept of hate speech should be troubling. Better to allow insensitive speech than criminalize it.

On a side note, why haven't we learned the name of the Garland police officer who shot and killed the two terrorists? Have he and his family gone into hiding? See the reach and power of terror.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Geller was deliberately provoking an antagonistic response, and that changes the perception considerably.
I was just reading the fine print on an insurance policy, and it specifically mentions 'provocation' as a disqualifier to any injury claim for resulting from assault. Because when you ask for it, you have no right to complain about getting it.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
In a freedom loving country such as the United States, the whole concept of hate speech should be troubling. Better to allow insensitive speech than criminalize it.
While I agree the concept of criminalizing hate speech is troubling, and I don't think it should be, but free speech shouldn't be a free pass to be intentionally rude and inconsiderate. You know, as a Christian nation, after all, we should strive more to live by the Golden Rule, don't you think?

On a side note, why haven't we learned the name of the Garland police officer who shot and killed the two terrorists? Have he and his family gone into hiding? See the reach and power of terror.
Well, they haven't released his name because it could put him and/or his family in danger. Releasing his name and parading him in front of the press is akin to spiking the ball in the end zone to taunt your opponents. No point in doing that. Since we didn't know who he or his family was to begin with, I don't think I'd characterize not knowing then now as being in hiding.

Yeah, the reach of terror is far and wide. So why egg it on?

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
Geller was deliberately provoking an antagonistic response, and that changes the perception considerably.
I was just reading the fine print on an insurance policy, and it specifically mentions 'provocation' as a disqualifier to any injury claim for resulting from assault. Because when you ask for it, you have no right to complain about getting it.
Claiming someone's actions are provocative is very subjective and lies in the eye of the beholder. Do you think a rapist can escape responsibility for his actions by claiming his victim was dressed provocatively and therefore, the victim was asking for it? Being provoked or offended is part of life. No one is compelled to act on a perceived provocation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: muttly and xmudman

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
No one is saying the shooters should have escaped responsibility, either.

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
Thankfully, the terrorists didn't succeed in Garland or we would be having a very different conversation. Imagine the uncontrollable bloodlust which would have sprung forward if the two shooters had made their way inside the arena and shot 200 Americans to death. Sooner or later, some group or individual will succeed in pulling off a mass casualty execution in the US. Political correctness will not carry the day.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
And that's a day that I'm sure some Americans just can't wait for.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Then maybe we should start canceling plays too.:rolleyes:
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2011/03/2...t-eugene-oneill-theater-review.html?referrer=

Unclebob

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you're stupid enough too tease a vicious dog you deserve to get bitten!

I have no sympathy for the shooters or the yahoos in the convention.

I'm sure the convention didn't have to pay for the swat team the city had to have waiting nearby. They are every bit as responsible for the shooting as the shooters!

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Islam shouldn't be and isn't a sacred cow and killing someone over a cartoon is indeed beyond the incredible, but by the same token, why intentionally incite anyone with hate speech wrapped in the façade of free speech? It's rude and inconsiderate, at the very least.
What short memories we have. In 1987 Piss Christ was considered award winning art, it's display was actually subsidized by the US Govt and Andres Serrano's life was never in danger by sects of radical Christians. Free speech at it's finest:rolleyes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piss_Christ

Also, let's not forget the award winning art produced by Chris Ofili - the Holy Virgin Mary sculpted with elephant dung. Wonder where he would be right now if he had used the Muslim Prophet as his centerpiece instead?

http://www.culturekiosque.com/art/news/rheturn.htm

"...why intentionally incite anyone with hate speech wrapped in the façade of free speech? It's rude and inconsiderate, at the very least."

Good point.