OMG I shoulda slept in the van!

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Call your credit card company.

I second that!

Unfortunately, Capital One weaseled their way out of it. That's OK, since they lost in the end when I was forced into Ch. 7.

As for calling the AR health authorities, that was a runaround too. They told me to take it up with the county; at the time, I was more interested in making a living than kicking up dust. Still am :)

@Traveling Mom: send me a message if you decide to pursue this; I'll back your story up with mine...

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Perfect time for a bump, lol, as I'm in a motel right now. I believe I have LDB to thank for sharing info on CLC [Corporate Lodging], which is the best program for drivers and fleet owners - thanks, Leo!
The reason it's best for fleet owners is cost control: nothing but the room can be charged to the card, which is all one needs to check in & out: no money changes hands. A fleet owner can give cards to drivers, and never find charges for anything extra on the bill. [I tried to add the pet fee when I had a dog, and they refused, even though I own the company on the card, lol.] If one wants extras [pet fee, fridge, movies], they must be paid for in cash.
It's best for drivers too, bc the website lets one find a place with particular needs, such as pets, truck parking, pool, :playful: and has addresses, phone numbers, photos & Google maps. The number one reason it is awesome, though, is that any CLC stay is for 24 hrs from check in - regular checkout time does not apply. When the truck is in the shop, it's much nicer to be waiting in a room until 5 or 6, than in the "drivers lounge" at a repair place. I've found that most desk clerks don't know about the checkout provision, and will tell me that it doesn't apply - no need to get upset, just call CLC and let them straighten it out. They have every time, and I appreciate that.

robh2

Veteran Expediter
Looking at CLC, the site shows examples of saving like 9.00 at a Best Western I believe it was. Then it looks like you have to pay 4.95 to CLC to do it. Is it really better than AAA or military discount? Thank you.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I don't know if it's better as in cheaper, but even at a net gain of $4.00, [or a break even price, once CLC adds the $4.95 fee that is their only charge, ever] it's still a better choice bc of the 24 hr checkout.
I checked in at 2000, and if I had to leave at 1100 or 1200, I'd spend the hours until 2000 in a driver's lounge, waiting for the truck to be done, and I would hate that. Instead, I can lounge by the pool, lol. :cool:

Reactions: robh2

Traveling Mom

New Recruit
I second that!

Unfortunately, Capital One weaseled their way out of it. That's OK, since they lost in the end when I was forced into Ch. 7.

As for calling the AR health authorities, that was a runaround too. They told me to take it up with the county; at the time, I was more interested in making a living than kicking up dust. Still am :)

@Traveling Mom: send me a message if you decide to pursue this; I'll back your story up with mine...

I am running wide open with the state of Arkansas. In fact, I have rec'd a letter from the State Atty. General's office and have a file number. I have spoke with various town officials and hopefully this dump called HERITAGE INN will be shut down. Look out Brinkley, AR, Traveling Mom is stirring up a ruckus!!!

fenderbender

Rookie Expediter
It's been a while since I've stayed at a really bad one. I have sort of scouted out places I stay around the country now. When I don't know of a motel in the area, I use trip advisor to find one. I really won't check into one without reading some reviews first. Just to get an idea. I've found that I never regret paying a little extra for a nicer motel, but many times ive regretted NOT paying the extra $10 or $20.

Reactions: RoadTime

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If I 'm going to stay at a Motel then I just ask to see the available room before I check in or pay for ..... if they say No I just leave ...

I almost always do that, especially if it looks a little shady. Have not been told No yet.
I like that 24hr check out thing, but doesn't look like places I stay at. Unless their not showing Motel 6 :rolleyes:

Reactions: ntimevan

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Don't know about Motel 6, [but they lie anyhow: they've never left the light on for me], but CLC has Days Inn, and that's pretty close, I think.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
If a restaurants bathrooms are stinking and messy, then imho, so is the kitchen where your food is prepared. Try this, the next time you use the mens room and it is messy, leave a note on the sink" Dirty restroom means dirty kitchen here looks the same".

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
sorry to here that or any one had to put up with that lucky you didn't get sick from the mold. Chin up it will get better just don't stay in Arkansas.

Once in a while we expediters (especially us lowly vanners) find ourselves at a motel front desk, exchanging credit card for room card. This happens when the truck falls ill, is full of freight or simply to give ourselves the luxury of being able to stretch out a little bit.

This thread is for folks to describe their worst motel experiences, and to warn others away from said motels. If you wanna make your point particularly clear, CAPITALIZE the name of the place. I will start.

HERITAGE INN, I40 exit 216, BRINKLEY ARKANSAS.
I stopped here for the night on my way east from El Paso, because my bed was folded up to accomodate the freight. Oh the crimes against tourism this place perpetrates! Damp smell (wet-dog smell). Damp bed with onion-skin sheets. VERY damp carpets. Even the tile floor in the bathroom was damp. And the coup de grace: The shower curtain was COVERED IN MOLD along the bottom. I don't care about the 1972 furniture or the 1992 TV, or the lack of a microwave/coffeemaker/etc. But this place was DISGUSTING. And BTW they charged me $40 all in when the posted rate is $29.95 plus tax, which means an effective tax rate of almost 34%.
Tomorrow, I will be discussing this situation with both my credit card company AND the Arkansas Dept of Health.

OK, so let's hear your stories :eek:
Once in a while we expediters (especially us lowly vanners) find ourselves at a motel front desk, exchanging credit card for room card. This happens when the truck falls ill, is full of freight or simply to give ourselves the luxury of being able to stretch out a little bit.

This thread is for folks to describe their worst motel experiences, and to warn others away from said motels. If you wanna make your point particularly clear, CAPITALIZE the name of the place. I will start.

HERITAGE INN, I40 exit 216, BRINKLEY ARKANSAS.
I stopped here for the night on my way east from El Paso, because my bed was folded up to accomodate the freight. Oh the crimes against tourism this place perpetrates! Damp smell (wet-dog smell). Damp bed with onion-skin sheets. VERY damp carpets. Even the tile floor in the bathroom was damp. And the coup de grace: The shower curtain was COVERED IN MOLD along the bottom. I don't care about the 1972 furniture or the 1992 TV, or the lack of a microwave/coffeemaker/etc. But this place was DISGUSTING. And BTW they charged me $40 all in when the posted rate is $29.95 plus tax, which means an effective tax rate of almost 34%.
Tomorrow, I will be discussing this situation with both my credit card company AND the Arkansas Dept of Health.

OK, so let's hear your stories :eek:

don111

Active Expediter
If I 'm going to stay at a Motel ,I just ask to see the room before I check in or pay for, if they say no i will just leave............

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I had one. The place wasn't bad, but the timing sure was! I had just made a delivery, and knew the nearest rest-stop was beyond my range that night so I pulled up to a Days Inn. Problem: Talledega. Just before Nascar weekend. A room that should go for no more than 80 was going for 250. I managed to get it at the regular price but it took more than a little finagling to do it. Would have to re-think doing that again.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I had one. The place wasn't bad, but the timing sure was! I had just made a delivery, and knew the nearest rest-stop was beyond my range that night so I pulled up to a Days Inn. Problem: Talledega. Just before Nascar weekend. A room that should go for no more than 80 was going for 250. I managed to get it at the regular price but it took more than a little finagling to do it. Would have to re-think doing that again.

I ran into a situation like that before. You just have to push that you are there for business.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
when going out to eat check restroom if that is clean rest of place is clean
stay at that listed on or in aaa book because the go and check them out tell them if you don't give me my money back you call heath dept works every time

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver

There's a good argument for avoiding touristy places: if you need a motel, it's a nightmare! The room that cost me $75/day in WV costs $275 in Myrtle Beach, for exactly the same 'amenities'! [Well, except for the beach, lol]
Actually, the room rate was far less in WV, but like a lot of places, it's a popular goto for increasing taxes & fees without angering the [local] voters.

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
There's a good argument for avoiding touristy places

Truth! That's why I stayed in Eutaw, AL the other week instead of Tuscaloosa. I'm not a 'Tide fan, so I had no compelling reason to pay what might have been twice the rate.

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
There's a good argument for avoiding touristy places: if you need a motel, it's a nightmare! The room that cost me $75/day in WV costs $275 in Myrtle Beach, for exactly the same 'amenities'! [Well, except for the beach, lol]
Actually, the room rate was far less in WV, but like a lot of places, it's a popular goto for increasing taxes & fees without angering the [local] voters.

If you think that's bad, don't get a room (if you can find a vacancy) anywhere in or within 40 miles of Augusta, GA. during Masters week. A $70 room will cost over $400 per night. The locals get upwards of $10000 per week for their home. The nicer and bigger, $30 to $50k for one week. Add on a personal chef and shopper, wow. Lots of corporate money gets spent here in April.
The Augusta National has been slowly buying up homes and land around it. Right now used for parking and building their own road to I 20. Next is to build accommodations for the golfers so they will be closer to the course. Still won't reduce the cost of a hotel room tho.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
If you think that's bad, don't get a room (if you can find a vacancy) anywhere in or within 40 miles of Augusta, GA. during Masters week. A $70 room will cost over $400 per night. The locals get upwards of $10000 per week for their home. The nicer and bigger, $30 to $50k for one week. Add on a personal chef and shopper, wow. Lots of corporate money gets spent here in April.
The Augusta National has been slowly buying up homes and land around it. Right now used for parking and building their own road to I 20. Next is to build accommodations for the golfers so they will be closer to the course. Still won't reduce the cost of a hotel room tho.

Thanks for the heads up - I don't 'follow' sports events [can one call golf a sport?] and didn't know about Augusta. So when is the Masters, anyway? :oops:

Never mind - just noticed the 'April', lol.

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
Thanks for the heads up - I don't 'follow' sports events [can one call golf a sport?] and didn't know about Augusta. So when is the Masters, anyway? :oops:

Never mind - just noticed the 'April', lol.

By the way, those same hotels in Myrtle Beach for $275 can be had for as low as $25 per day and on the beach starting around end of October beginning of November.