Best Fast Food Salad

quadflyer1

Active Expediter
After seeing the commercial for WENDY's new fresh salads I decided to try one.
I got the apple cranberry, forget its menu name but the picture has apples in it.
It also has real blue cheese crumble and different kinds of leaf lettuce.
FAVORITE SO FAR.
I like to make my own. But to buy all the fresh produce for a good salad its a lot of bulk in a little
fridge. And sometimes I don't have the time to make it.
Anyone else that like salads have a favorite place??

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If I'm in a big hurry, sometimes I will get the Southwest salad at McDonalds with grilled chicken. I won't say its a favorite, but it's not too bad

Reactions: vandriver2

Unclebob

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Subway has a nice twist on their salad. You pick what you want in it then they chop all the ingredients together. It allows you to get the perfect mix with every fork full.

Plus if you want more tomatoes or less cucumbers you just tell them as they make it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
My favorite was Wendy's BLT Cobb - I don't know why it's the only one they took off the menu, but I get the BBQ chicken now, and it's not as good, IMO. I should say: it's good, but I don't like it as much.
Salads are good to make yourself, and if you make a couple at once, [put in plastic containers], you'll use those ingredients pretty quick. I especially like the 3 pack of red, yellow, and orange mini bell peppers, they're really good.

Reactions: vandriver2

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Subway has a nice twist on their salad. You pick what you want in it then they chop all the ingredients together. It allows you to get the perfect mix with every fork full.

Plus if you want more tomatoes or less cucumbers you just tell them as they make it.

Maybe it's just me, but veggies at Subway don't taste like they are real. It boggles my mind how a place with such an unappealing name [who would enjoy eating in a subway?!] and mostly lunchmeat & tasteless veggies can have a location on every freaking corner [plus the ones in WalMarts, truckstops, gas/convenience stores] in the US. They must offer some killer franchise terms, is all I can figure.
What we need is more Chipotle! :D

quadflyer1

Active Expediter
I agree with Cheri1122. The place smells funny. Not appealing at all.
I will buy the four pack of avocados sometimes and will eat them spread on half an everything bagel with a little salt and more pepper. If I'm really excited I'll put some jalapeño on, :D.
Or i will add them to one of the fast salads. They have a lot of good stuff in them.
When I first got on my own when i was about 21. First real job, apartment you know. I lived in California and on my way to the gym in the mornig i found a avocado tree hanging over the ally, huge tree. I'd pull my vehicle under it and stand on my camper shell and load up. I lived on them. A chicken and top ramen would sustain me for a week. Oh and dinner at my dad on Sundays.

I'm bored. Sat this weekend. First time since my switch. I rarely have time to be reading and writing.
I'm going home next week. Camping and good old jury duty.

Reactions: cheri1122

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Just had my first one. I don't think it will be my last. Still 2nd to Wendy's for me, but very yummy :)

Reactions: cheri1122

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I almost finally got to try one a couple of months ago. Walked in and the line was so ridiculously long I walked out. I guess they are more popular then I thought.

Popular for good reason: good food, prepared as you direct and watch [like Subway, but with excellent ingredients]. Next time, don't let a long line discourage you, they're also amazingly fast! You can also order [online] ahead, but it's just as fast to do it on the spot, IMO.

Reactions: RoadTime

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
In 1998 McDonald's began investing in Chipotle, small at first but after a few months became the controlling, majority stakeholder. They grew Chipotle from 16 locations to more than 500 when they fully divested themselves in 2006. McDonald's invested a total of $360 million and took out $1.5 billion. At the same time they divested everything from Donato's Pizza and Boston Market, in order to concentrate on their core business. You'd think somewhere along in there they'd have learned how to translate 'high quality ingredients, small and simple menu, quickly prepared to order' to their core business. But no.

Reactions: RoadTime