TV Off air TV antenna

floridawheels

Active Expediter
I installed a TV in the sleeper and got and antenna from the truck stop. The antenna I got has 2 elements that are about 18" long and mount in a "V". The "V" rods look like short fiberglass CB antennas. It cost about $30.00 at the truck stop. I mounted it on the passenger side mirror as far out from the truck as I could get it.

It is about worthless. I am well aware of the limitations of off air TV but with this thing I get no more than without any antenna. I even installed an antenna amplifier left over from when Installed an over the air antenna at the house for when the cable goes out, still nothing. In my current location the house off air antenna gets about 20 channels. I figured I could get at least 3 or 4 in the truck... nothing.

So here are 2 questions:

1: What results have others had with this "V" antenna?
2: What antenna can I use that I do not have to put holes in the roof that will work better?

Thanks!!

floridawheels

Active Expediter
The $26 ones sold at Pilots that go on the window work well.
Thanks for the response!

I saw that one but I really don't like that it goes into the window. That would really get in the way of my dog, she loves to stick her head out the window when we are in town at slow speeds.

I'm hoping there is another answer...

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It can be removed within seconds and isn't meant to be attached while driving. I currently have 26 channels in Detroit area during a blizzard.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
The best I've ever used is the roof mounted amplified one on my motor home, it gets too many Spanish channels and religious ones though. I thought about getting one on my sleeper but don't like holes in the roof, the "v" style is junk, I have a RCA flat panel ant now, that sorta works, till a truck drives by then it sputters in and out i have to move it around a lot to find a good spot, i tried putting it in my sleeper window where it fits great but when a truck parks next to me good bye maurry!

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
good bye maurry!

That's why I never have bothered with OTA TV. IDGAF who the father is; if the mother doesn't know, that's a problem. And soaps? Fuggedaboudit. :rolleyes:

Bring back some good game shows, then we'll talk :)

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Scott is this the flat thin kind? Do you hang from suction cups or two sided tape? Thanks for the info!

I bought the Winegard flat TV antenna and taped it to my small side door window. Been working a little better then the window mounted V type that I had from Pilot. Main thing is I don't need to put it up or take it down. It's just always there and ready.

floridawheels

Active Expediter
Sorry for the delay in responding to my own thread..lol... Been on the road and passwords were at home..

I had initially tried the Mirror mount "V"unit I mentioned in my first post at my house. I don't live in the sticks but I do live a fair distance from any city that has TV stations. When I'm within 20 miles or so of a large city I get a bunch of channels. I'm not overly impressed with the antenna but not having to fuss with it every time I want to watch TV is a plus. I'm still looking for a better solution and am open to any suggestion....

Thanks for the responses so far!