advantages and disadvantages of staying under 26,000 pounds

gotto_03801

Seasoned Expediter
what are some of the advantages and dis advantages of staying under 26,000 pounds:confused:. i'm sure parking will be one of the first advantage mentioned :D

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm not sure parking would be any advantage when compared to a straight truck. Once you jump above a van at 10,000 I see no reason not to step up to a straight over 26000. Your still going to have to log and any truck in the under 26 category is not going to have the shelf life you want.

Still log, costs are about the same as a bigger truck. In my thinking it's either under 10 or over 26.

Reactions: wimpy007

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
The only advantage is that you don't have to worry about IFTA. Just fill up wherever is the cheapest pump price. If you drive a vehicle over 26k you have to buy fuel where your cost is cheaper, and that is not where the pump price is cheaper. A little more calculation, that's all.

fr8hlr521

Active Expediter
The only advantage is that you don't have to worry about IFTA. Just fill up wherever is the cheapest pump price. If you drive a vehicle over 26k you have to buy fuel where your cost is cheaper, and that is not where the pump price is cheaper. A little more calculation, that's all.

There are apps for that. The bigger thing with IFTA is the record keeping, but it's not THAT bad, and many carriers will do that for their contractors.

fr8hlr521

Active Expediter
what are some of the advantages and dis advantages of staying under 26,000 pounds:confused:. i'm sure parking will be one of the first advantage mentioned :D

IMO, there are more options at the 33K level. More carriers, more loads, more money, more comfort. Trade-off is higher entry cost and more DOT involvement.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
The more you are capable of hauling, the more endorsements, a trailer set up to haul anything with lift gate for some companies is the top of the food chain.

As the vehicle gets smaller, the endorsements get less, and saying no to any areas of the country lesson the income potential.

What you have to figure out is how much stress can you handle for the amount of income a vehicle can generate.

There are advantages and disadvantages to every size and configuration.

jjtdrv4u

Expert Expediter
at over 26k, apportioned plates are required (I got caught in Virginia without them);

but overall, the bottom line in the long run pays off better for all reasons to the over 26k expediter truck.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Under 2600 works if you're running a day cab locally or regionally and you are willing to buy hotel rooms. I run a 2003 international non cdl 26000 day cab lift gate and can carry just over 10000lbs. Legal. I plan on losing the lift gate so I might be able to scale close to 10500 - 10700 lbs.

A newer 26 foot box day cab you can only scale around 8000 lbs due to the smog equipment on newer trucks. Add a sleeper your around 6000 lbs. for freight less with a lift gate. I looked into newer trucks and when I have no choice but to replace it i will either go up or go bigger or fifth wheel and trailer depending on the market.

Yes you still have to log if you are more than 150 miles from home and you had better have hotel receipts for the dot man if you are inspected and paperwork shows you are not running local. Also you will have a federal excise tax on most parts especially tires, it's like 12 percent on top of everything else.

Good luck
Bob Wolf.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Even though it's a 2003 it's not rolling garbage. For its age it is a decent truck, as I stay on top of the maintenance.
Bob Wolf

gotto_03801

Seasoned Expediter
i'm gonna be going with a strait truck instead of the sprinter!! I called a few companies to run for today and they told me that there sprinter drivers are only getting 1000 miles a week :( I wanna be kept busy and not sitting all of the time. before calling the companies that I wanted to run for I called the MB dealer and he told me that if I ordered a sprinter today a 2015 model I won't have it until October HUGH:confused:. and after optioning off a sprinter with all of the bells and whistles as far as i can buy a decent used strait truck or for a few bucks more i can have a brand new strait truck and make more revenue. i will be going for my hazmat as well. i have also found an accountant to do my taxes for me and take care of al of that stuff also. he even offers a business management course as well wich i will be investing in as it would benefit me.

gotto_03801

Seasoned Expediter
that's the way i am thinking of going with a box truck with a lift and getting my hazmat as well. i can handle a lot of stress and id'e much would rather be driving than sitting!!

Deville

Not a Member
Over the years I have witnessed many "super D" units on the road leased to all the major carriers. These trucks have all the bells and whistles but have a 10 to 12 foot box. Still over 33,000 gwr, but it takes the argument away that you need to be able to haul 25,000 pounds on a tandom axle and 24 foot box and give up comfort.

For me a 26,000 gvr is ideal. Last year I only had 4 loads over 10,000 pounds and I haven't had any loads like that just year. My average load weight is about 2000 pounds, and since I run locally I don't need a sleeper. I like having it but don't need it.

My ideal truck a 20 ft length box, 12 ft in height, 104 inches wide, so I can get into the NYC tunnels, lift gate, air ride, small sleeper behind the seats, like an extended cab a heavy duty automatic transmission mated to a cummins engine.

Last edited:

Hamman77

Active Expediter
Driver
What type of logs to most expediters run, paper or e- log? For those that do e- log, is it yours or the carriers; do have to rent it?

bolter82

Expert Expediter
Wrong...I'm under 26k and xpo requires it.