Getting exercise on the road

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
As a straight truck driver, I already equipment on board that I can use for getting in some quick exercises.

Sit ups
A load bar near the floor to hold my feet down and a moving pad ( blanket) to lie on.

Pull ups or chin ups

A load bar at the right height AND 2 straps. Use 1 strap on each end of load bar. Hang strap in a "U" fashion around load bar and snug tight. This will keep the load bar from slipping down.

Resistance

I use mover's rubber bands to secure padding to an item when necessary.
These rubber bands come in several sizes. Different sizes will give different levels of resistance.
Hang bands on a decking beam securely attached to the walls. You can also attach them to seat belt mounts in your cab for a quick workout.
Wear gloves when stretching with the bands.
These are good for several exercises. For both arms and legs. Use new rubber bands, older ones can have knicks in them or dry rot and break.

Walking

I used to walk parking lots, now thanks to @TeamCaffee, I just walk around my truck. I get in the walking that I'm wanting to get, and as a bonus, I'm looking all around the truck for anything that might need my attention.

These are just a few ways I get exercise out on the road.
If you have some other creative ways to exercise, share them on this thread.

Stay healthy.
Be safe.

Greg

Reactions: SimpleTrucker.com

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Walking

I used to walk parking lots, now thanks to @TeamCaffee, I just walk around my truck. I get in the walking that I'm wanting to get, and as a bonus, I'm looking all around the truck for anything that might need my attention.

I tend to avoid walking in the giant urinal (aka parking lot) and like to find places to go. Most truck stops have fields or areas to walk around which I usually end up going to just because of the dogs.

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Walking around the truck doesn't have to just be at a truck stop, you can also do it while waiting at a shipper or receiver. of course, at a shipper, it would actually be half circles :)

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Planking can be done in most trucks. See this thread: 5 min. plank challenge

Knee lifts can also be done in the truck. YouTube demo here

If the knee lift shown looks too easy, do them higher and faster.

If you are out of shape, do not push yourself too much if you are exercising alone in the truck. No one will be there to help if you need it.

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Forgot about knee/ leg lifts. I do that all the time out on the open road, when I can. Lift my legs, one at a time, and holding it up for a mile or two while moving my foot side to side.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We had it in the last truck and it fits great in an OEM Freightliner cab and sleeper. Very easy to set up and I like the variety of bands you can use for different exercises or you can get stronger bands.

We have not got it hooked up in this truck due to the fact Bob can not figure out which of the bolts in the back wall he can use. We have not hooked it up to the floor mounts in the cab either. I know I know we need to get this done as the system is easy to use and easy to keep pout of the way.

There is also a new stepper that works with the bands that I think I am going to get since we do not have back wall to use.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Forgot about knee/ leg lifts. I do that all the time out on the open road, when I can. Lift my legs, one at a time, and holding it up for a mile or two while moving my foot side to side.

Also try something more challenging. A good workout will bring you to the point where your heart rate is elevated for an extended period of time (say 30 minutes) and you are breathing too heavy to comfortably speak a sentence. With leg lifts, lift them high, rapid and continuously to the point of muscle failure. Do that, catch your breath, and do it again.

Working out within your comfort zone has some benefits but for greater progress put more of yourself into it and work out beyond your comfort zone. Elevate your heart rate. Exert yourself to the point of heavy breathing. Maintain that pace for a while or do intervals. Intervals: after warm-up, hard effort for 1 minute, less effort for 2-5 minutes (depending on what you are up for), repeat for 30 minutes.

With exercise, what you do is less important. Important is doing something several times a week.

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I get some kind of exercise everyday. Even if it just walking, but usually more than that.
The plank challenge, when I started it, I could hold it for 1 1/2 minutes, now I'm at 2 1/2 - 3.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I get some kind of exercise everyday. Even if it just walking, but usually more than that.
The plank challenge, when I started it, I could hold it for 1 1/2 minutes, now I'm at 2 1/2 - 3.

Good job! Building your core strength has many benefits. For truckers, one of the most important benefits may be building the muscles that support your spine.

jojosilver

Rookie Expediter
I have a small stepper, a hand bike (which can be used with hands or feet, a jump rope, a few bands, plus as much as I can in down time I go to the local parks that have trails and walk them. I am considering a bicycle too.

Reactions: ATeam and Greg