Books for drivers

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well , "The Secret Garden " by Frances Hodgson Burnett got me from Dallas to El Paso. Time to find another great book to cross NM

Reactions: in-Transit

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Seems that "Geronimo's Story of His Life" by Geronimo and S.M. Barret is fitting for NM and AZ

Reactions: in-Transit

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Absolutely agree - except I use Audible and an mp3 player, because I don't want to use the cellphone. And I'm a very picky reader, lol.

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I tried audible and librevox, settled on the latter. I just connect my phone to my truck stereo, and I'm good to go. And when a call comes in, it just pauses it and picks up where it left off after the call.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
The biggest advantage to the mp3 player is that it goes along when I'm out of the truck, and the battery lasts way longer than the phone. I get free Kindle books, but Audible is a small luxury that's worth the cost. [Less than $20/month]
If you find the book "Leviathan" by Scott Westerfeld, it's one of my favorites: a steampunk version of WW1, with wonderful characters and voices, and 2 sequels: Behemoth, and Goliath. I've listened to all 3 twice, and don't think it ever gets old, lol. Happy listening!

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The biggest advantage to the mp3 player is that it goes along when I'm out of the truck, and the battery lasts way longer than the phone. I get free Kindle books, but Audible is a small luxury that's worth the cost. [Less than $20/month]
If you find the book "Leviathan" by Scott Westerfeld, it's one of my favorites: a steampunk version of WW1, with wonderful characters and voices, and 2 sequels: Behemoth, and Goliath. I've listened to all 3 twice, and don't think it ever gets old, lol. Happy listening!

I'll look for it. Thanks.
Librevox is very low on data use and battery drain, I can listen all day without plugging up to charge and you don't download the books, each chapter loads as needed.
You can download the whole book at once for listening later, might come in handy when on wifi. And most are free. I haven't had to pay for one yet and I have been listening to them for years.

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
"Six bad husbands and six unhappy wives" by Ella Wheeler Wilcox. Fictional humor. Short book. Only about an hour long. Kind of funny, the title is misleading.

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The books on Librevox are read by volunteers. Some readings are difficult to understand. If you find a book where the reader is too heavily accented, the same book can usually be found with a different reader.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
The books on Librevox are read by volunteers. Some readings are difficult to understand. If you find a book where the reader is too heavily accented, the same book can usually be found with a different reader.

Another plus for Audible - the readers are pros [last one I listened to was read by Lynn Redgrave, who was excellent], but there are reviews by listeners that warn you off the few that don't measure up.