April fooled ya !!!!!

flattop40

Expert Expediter
Well that is almost impossible for a lower unit to answer as they will never know what all they didn't see.

I always say bigger is better. :)

Anything that increases load opportunities is good. Size, weight, hazmat, cross border all increase a trucks movement possibilities.

Much like trailers....80 percent of kids may fit in a 48 foot trailer.....but I would never buy a 48.

Just my humble opinion. Some of the other straights can weigh in.

I am in total agreeance and that has been my philosophy up until I got into a straight truck. Due to circumstances beyond my control I had to get what I got. Now trying to run some numbers to see where I stand on a standard straight truck with/without lift gate to see what kind of a payment it can handle while paying a driver. Getting to the point where I have to either @#$% or get off the pot so to speak.

SWTexas1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
As John said, bigger is always better. I would say that about a 10% of my loads fall in the over 8500#. Then another 10 to 15% that are lift gate loads. Then you can add a bunch more that are Canada and Hazmat.

Anything that gives dispatch another option is going to pay off in the long run.

Just my 2 cents worth

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
I've only been there 6 months but I have gotten 6 or 7 good paying lift gate loads. My capacity is only 9000 pounds but I have a 24 foot box. Have done a few HAZMAT loads that paid well too. Most loads have been under 6000 pounds.

Wolfeman68

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Thanks. It just seems almost every other call I get it ends up it won't fit into my truck. Either they remember to look after they have dialed the number and say "oops, forgot you were the small large straight" or I have to remind them to look at my dimensions and then they move on. So I was thinking I was missing up to 50% of the potential loads as some of the dispatchers remember me and won't even call. But you are saying less than 20%. Hmmmm, still that is a 20% increase in load possibilities.

Are others in the 20% range also?
20% is a good rule of thumb, but isn't consistent. There are weeks that my 16 footer will out perform the others, even the 24 footer. Location is probably the biggest factor in its performance. It had a lift gate on it but I took it off since it was more of a boat anchor than anything else. That added about a 1000 lbs to its cargo capacity. Bigger is better overall, but you have to decide if the revenue justifies the cost of another truck and if it fits into your business plan.

Reactions: flattop40

divadriver01

Expert Expediter
Everything everyone has said, and I add that you need room for things for expediting like load bar, straps, blankets, pallet jack, two wheel cart/dolly. Those take up at least two feet.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
Nice mild morning here in MN. Waiting for the ok to unload " UPS" then head over to the twin cities and hang out for a load. Maybe supper with Rich & Joan if time permits and they aren't busy !!!

Reactions: jelliott