April "Rabbit rabbit rabbit"

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yeah, but how much is a CDL B $1,000? Maybe $3,000 if you go to driving school to learn how to drive the truck. Then they can work for a fleet owner and not have to pay expenses when the truck breaks, and probably make alot more than driving a raggedy van.
but you are hampered by HOS rules....and straights are not paying that much for a lot of carriers...as a solo you might get 1 300-400 mile per day load within your legal hours...

It all comes down to individual priorities...

also we CV's get some nice tax breaks straights don't...:p

Reactions: ntimevan

Erick Evans

New Recruit
Makes sense, like I've said before it's their business. Honestly NEW van drivers who jump in and complain about low rates are just like McDonald's workers complaining about "poverty wages." Some are able to find something better but don't want to because the easy way is quicker. I'm in a tractor, I come from "poverty wages" when I realized that I need to make more I got my ish together and I'm doing a lot better than I ever had before.

but you are hampered by HOS rules....and straights are not paying that much for a lot of carriers...as a solo you might get 1 300-400 mile per day load within your legal hours...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Makes sense, like I've said before it's their business. Honestly NEW van drivers who jump in and complain about low rates are just like McDonald's workers complaining about "poverty wages." Some are able to find something better but don't want to because the easy way is quicker. I'm in a tractor, I come from "poverty wages" when I realized that I need to make more I got my ish together and I'm doing a lot better than I ever had before.
do more research..really listen up....its your life your investment....don't jump unless you have a back up parachute.....Good luck whatever you decide....Ken aka OVM

Reactions: in-Transit

Erick Evans

New Recruit
do more research..really listen up....its your life your investment....don't jump unless you have a back up parachute.....Good luck whatever you decide....Ken aka OVM

I personally would never jump in a van, I'm content pulling my dry van, I'm just a dummy trying to make scene of an industry that I don't understand.

Reactions: Tennesseahawk

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
JuJu and I were in a Condo Association in our townhome in Canada....we were not impressed to say the least...fees were high and the rule were too restrictive.
So far it's not all that bad, been here 5 years. Any problems we've had, make a call and it gets fixed, next week we get a new driveway poured. Ours has a small crack in it.

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yep love my HOA, the do the work I take the credit!

Yup, we sat in one now. We decided to downsize and chose the safety of the gated community. Of course, the best part are the exterior repairs and maintenances are covered by the HOA.

8 years later, the HOA fees and prop tax kept creeping up. Yep, don't like it, but hey, it sure beat owning one in Manhattan, lol.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter

Or, one could get a cdl A, and run with the big dogs, then come back to expediting, and pick your poison... or do something else entirely. There are so many options out there, with the right license.

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I personally would never jump in a van, I'm content pulling my dry van, I'm just a dummy trying to make scene of an industry that I don't understand.

I find having done expediting for a lot of years, has made for an easy transition back into truckload. Maybe, in time, I will wander back into expediting. Problem I see now is, companies are expecting expedite semi drivers to work for the same rate regular semi drivers make. Nuh uh. If you want me to do the expedite gig in a semi, I'm making more than a straight truck driver does. Your other option is to get your own rig, and find a company that has a decent rate.

Last edited:
Reactions: OntarioVanMan

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I moved....over to he MacD's for some free wifi and back to Wally's.....no one took my parking spot....am in OVM heaven here....Speedway on my right, Walmart on my left...doesn't get much better then that...other then a HOME load....:p

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I moved....over to he MacD's for some free wifi and back to Wally's.....no one took my parking spot....am in OVM heaven here....Speedway on my right, Walmart on my left...doesn't get much better then that...other then a HOME load....:p
If your happy then I'm happy.... Not really just trying to stay positive.

akkshole

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Sitting for last 15 hours east of St Louis, doesn't seem to be much moving today