WHO DO YOU LOVE?

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Many people have done well in this business using gas powered vans. This ain't Europe nor are we a boat or semi. At this point in the evolution of vans the safe bet is probably gas until ford or someone proves otherwise.

Reactions: ntimevan

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Many people have done well in this business using gas powered vans. This ain't Europe nor are we a boat or semi. At this point in the evolution of vans the safe bet is probably gas until ford or someone proves otherwise.

Someday I will have to buy you lunch (along with Ragman & Moot)! Again, keep comming with the input.

Windsor

Veteran Expediter
Oh I can't get lunch? Wth. The Ecoboost might turn out to be a reliable choice over time. Just giving my opinion as to why I would choose the diesel power plant over a twin turbo gas engine. A twin turbo setup is very complex and could open up many doors for many problems, just makes me nervous.

Windsor

Veteran Expediter
Lots of drivers are going to choose the Ecoboost when buying a transit so I hope I'm wrong about my concerns with that engine.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Oh I can't get lunch? Wth. The Ecoboost might turn out to be a reliable choice over time. Just giving my opinion as to why I would choose the diesel power plant over a twin turbo gas engine. A twin turbo setup is very complex and could open up many doors for many problems, just makes me nervous.

The technology is already proven, that's the point. Any of the other things about what they use in Europe, heavy equipment, trains, or any other form of transportation aren't relevant. Everyone already knows that under most circumstances a diesel engine will outlive a gas engine. The problem is all the unproven technology that is being used on diesels now. It's the same technology that is bankrupting trucking companies and owner operators because the systems are notorious for expensive problems that keeps equipment in the shop. That is why a gas engine is a better choice at this point.

Windsor

Veteran Expediter
And also, before nuclear power, submarines had diesels in them. So if ur ever unfortunate enough to get caught in a flash flood in your van then the diesel engine is clearly the best choice. And that's all I got to say about that.

Windsor

Veteran Expediter
The technology is already proven, that's the point. Any of the other things about what they use in Europe, heavy equipment, trains, or any other form of transportation aren't relevant. Everyone already knows that under most circumstances a diesel engine will outlive a gas engine. The problem is all the unproven technology that is being used on diesels now. It's the same technology that is bankrupting trucking companies and owner operators because the systems are notorious for expensive problems that keeps equipment in the shop. That is why a gas engine is a better choice at this point.
Your absolutely right, I own a sprinter trust me I know. But at this point ford, gm and dodge have just about eliminated all the EGR problems on the Powerstoke, Duramax and Cummings, I don't see why the transit diesel would be any different. Newer big trucks EGR systems are also much less problematic then ones from just 4 or 5 years ago. I guess it's best to revisit this topic in a few years to talk about how it all panned out. I hope both engines turn out to be reliable choices because ford is going to sell an ass load of them.

Reactions: scottm4211

in-Transit

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My 2 cents... 700k on my 2008 sprinter no big let downs yet but wearing out... Ordered an ecoboost transit. Why after driving the diesel one nearly 10 different times it just doesn't have the power i want. Ye ol'sprinter hustles better then it does not to mention the 5k price tag for the diesel I can buy a ford 3.5 crate motor when the 1st one fails with the 5k save I suppose... Time will tell but I know a couple f150's with 200k on em flawlessly.
But remember with anything
YOUR MILEAGE MAY VARY

Sent from my flying circus

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
So are you and Ragman saying that a gas powered generator, chained up OUTSIDE the truck is the best way to power all the "luxury"? Foirget about inverters powered off the battery?

One battery isn't going to power many luxuries, and still start the vehicle. As a newbie, knowing exactly zip about batteries, inverters, etc, I found the site "Inverters R Us" extremely helpful. It explains it all in terms even a dummy can understand, so you can figure out how much of each you actually need.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Your absolutely right, I own a sprinter trust me I know. But at this point ford, gm and dodge have just about eliminated all the EGR problems on the Powerstoke, Duramax and Cummings, I don't see why the transit diesel would be any different. Newer big trucks EGR systems are also much less problematic then ones from just 4 or 5 years ago.

It's not the EGR system, it's the DEF and DPF that are causing problems. The big trucks are still having lots of issues with these systems and quite frankly I don't think the manufacturers are going to do much about it. They have to focus on the next 2 rounds of emissions requirements that will make things even worse. The manufacturers will just make crap enginess for a few years so that they can put most of their attention on the future.

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
I have both they each serve there purpose but your not going to power ac without one.

XIGGI: have several questions open that I am interested in your (or anyone else's) opinion:
brand and size of roof AC unit?
brand and size of generator?

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ac can depend on how well you insulate, if your gonna have an open van front to back or a bunk and bulkhead

Generator Honda or Yamaha but they cost more and you tend to get what you pay for. For most ac units you want a 3000 watt gen but some smaller and designed right you can use say a honda 2000. If you want to run much else off it besides air the a 3000 for sure.

I have a Coleman Mach rooftop and a honda 2000 but t h e ac is designed to run off a 2000.

I do think that there are more decent generators than there used to be just not more really good ones

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Sure, everything is a compromise. Extra length will reduce your legal load capacity but increase your volume and living area. I ordered a Transit 350 tall, extended length. It is scheduled to go on the line sometime tomorrow. After I finish it, it should be able to legally handle 2800 lbs. and in most instances still accommodate 3 pallets leaving me a comfortable bed. Ask me again in about a month to see if dreaming becomes reality.

Yeah, me! I've owned two Chevy 3500 long wheelbase vans. If you took a poll of E.O. van owners, I believe most own and would recommend a 350/3500 (1ton) long version. The exception being Sprinter owners. Sprinters or at least the early ones, the 3500 models were DRW only.

Jeff Jensen (R.I.P) put over 900,000 miles on his 3500 without any major work. He even rolled it once in an ice storm in Michigan. Tow truck driver turned it over and he drove it home. I don't think he ever got the roof repaired. lol! :penguin:

Reactions: Moot and Windsor

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
What ever van you choose I would recommend the 350/3500 (1 ton) series, as long as GVWR is under 10,000 lbs. With the Ford Transit 350 you get about 500 pounds more cargo carrying capacity. 500 pounds might not seem like much to you but when it comes to vanning, having that extra capacity is essential. Especially when adding creature comforts.

A rough weight estimate I use for a comfortably equipped van is 1000 pounds. That would include driver, fuel, flooring, E-track, straps, auxiliary batteries, insulation, bed, powered roof vent, bed, clothing, food etc. A little here, a little there, it adds up.

Well.....Thanks to you (and others who followed) I took your advice and took delivery of a 350 ext series 9500GVW Ford Transit.

Reactions: ntimevan

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
XIGGI: have several questions open that I am interested in your (or anyone else's) opinion:
brand and size of roof AC unit?
brand and size of generator?
Penguin Dometic Roof Top Air Conditioner 13,000BTU
2 Honda 2000 Generators (Companion) =4K Watts (Oil Chg. every 100 hrs.)
Espar Bunk Heater D2 Airtonic is exhausted and sips off my Diesel/20hrs.=1 Gallon
2 Auxillary Deep Cell Batteries and 2000 Inverter (Replace Main Battery every 3 yrs.)
...Used to drive Truck and since you can't idle these Turbo Diesels due to the DEF/DPF
I knew I'd need to be sleeping during the day when temps were in the 90's.
As well, even though I did my darnedest to insulate my ceiling and walls, when it's zero degrees out with a wind chill pushing you around....well being comfortable, safe and rested matters when you gotta drive past midnight.