The State of Hate

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
She thanked God for the money - not the people who donated it.
Christians don't believe in bullies? Maybe you can explain the ones who protest at Women's Clinics, and set up live web cams to film women going in? And the ones who send letters informing a commercial management firm that a prospective tenant for one of their properties is going to attract protesters [namely themselves] and disturb other tenants?
And the ones who hold up photos of babies outside, saying SHAME ON YOU! - they don't believe in bullies, huh?
They are doing it to protect the unborn. Whether you believe abortion is right or wrong, they think the unborn child needs protection from being bullied, i.e. life terminated.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Re
Divine intervention. Haha
member when the statue of Jesus in Dayton [Goalpost Jesus, or Big Butter Jesus] was struck by lightning and destroyed? Was that "divine intervention, haha" too?
See, you're always ready to credit God when you like the result, but you never assign blame to Him when you don't.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Let's not forget a bunch of famous CHRISTIAN bullies..

Attachments

• 1428383560177.jpg
    1428383560177.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 15

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If you want to belive that someone had a hand in me hitting the wrong picture when there are starving children. .war...droughts....that's pretty selfish. .
It's not selfish. It was only a joke. Lighten up.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
There is a very simple way to know it's false: the money was donated through a GoFundMe account, with the people donating leaving comments. None of them were from God, much less all of them, so thanking God for the money is giving credit to what she believes, instead of the facts that refute it right in front of her nose. And people accept that as reasonable?
I don't get annoyed when people thank God for saving them from a flaming wreck, because there isn't any clear proof that He didn't. In this case, it's a person saying something we can all see is not true, and everyone is ok with it, that bothers me. The same way people claiming God told them to do something bothers me, because I have to question their grasp on reality.
I'm sorry but all it proves is you simply don't understand how those with a super strong belief feel and think. It obviously bothers you or you would not have brought it up. I can't for the life of me understand how two men can be sexually attracted to each other but they obviously are so it is not my place to call them out for their belief.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
They are doing it to protect the unborn. Whether you believe abortion is right or wrong, they think the unborn child needs protection from being bullied, i.e. life terminated.

See, you can explain and excuse it when they're doing the bullying. Although I think the letters to property managers are extortion, actually.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Let's not forget a bunch of famous CHRISTIAN bullies..
And they shouldn't be forgotten either. It however shouldn't be extrapolated that they represented most Christians in our history, and they represent Christians of today. Just like that picture you posted represents the Democrats of today. Considering that Democrats back in that day made up a large portion of the Klan.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
See, you can explain and excuse it when they're doing the bullying. Although I think the letters to property managers are extortion, actually.
I'm explaining, but not excusing it. I didn't say I agree with the tactics. I basically said Christians want to protect from bullies. In there eyes, the unborn is being bullied.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
It uploaded the wrong pic..but ..is the truth though
No like most of your meme pics, it's a little off. Most internet-based meme pics start of with a false premise, or they reach a false conflation. Some Amish do, in fact, use electricity. What if a legislator wouldn't entertain a marijuana bill because his wife, or mother, or paperboy wouldn't approve? Does that mean the wife, or mother, or paperboy is running the state, 'cause that's what the meme says. No, they're mostly just cute little sayings designed to get a rose out of like-minded folks who also have limited information or critical thinking skills.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
And they shouldn't be forgotten either. It however shouldn't be extrapolated that they represented most Christians in our history, and they represent Christians of today. Just like that picture you posted represents the Democrats of today. Considering that Democrats back in that day made up a large portion of the Klan.
Lest we also not forget that back in that day the Democrats were the conservatives.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Let's see. They could "thank God" for the money presuming that some/many/all were moved to give money and it generically covers everyone who gave or they could take how many hours to thank how many thousands of people individually by name? The media may have the attention span for the former. They won't for the latter. I guess option three is they don't say thank you at all.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
You aren't comparing the same thing. I'm not sure what you aren't understanding or why you are having so much trouble understanding it. Dealing with sinners is not a problem. The act of participating in a sin is a problem for them. They would view baking a cake as participating in and condoning what they view as a sin. Do you see the difference? Again, the law is not to just stop serving gays based in being gay, it is there to stop people from being forced to participate in a gay wedding.
I think people need to take a step back and realize a few things. One is, the freedom of religion that's guaranteed in the Constitution is about the freedom to worship whatever religion you want in whatever manner you want, in public or in private, as well as to not worship at all. It has nothing to do with photographing weddings or baking cakes.

"Participating" in a gay wedding (photography, catering, etc.) has nothing whatsoever to do with religious freedom, and has everything to do with discriminating against homosexuals. As any stand-up Christian will tell you, homosexuality is a choice, because the Bible is very clear on the fact that it is the laying down and bumping ugly with someone of the same sex that's the sin, whereas the Bible says nothing about attendance at a public gathering. The only way you're going to participate in the sin is to cater or photograph the homosexual sexual act itself. I've read the Bible cover to cover and it doesn't mention anything about catering gay weddings. People don't want to cater them, or do anything else for gays that makes it appear that they are endorsing or approving or accepting of homosexuality. But that's got nothing to do with religion - people are just using religion (or trying to) as justification.

American and Americans have quite a history of trying to use "religious freedom" as a mean of discrimination. It was used to justify slavery and Jim Crow laws, Religious Freedom Restoration Acts (RFRAs) are seductive because politicians can portray them in different ways to different parts of their constituencies. When you combine the title, which is comforting, and the rhetoric, which is intended to be comforting, with the opaque legalese and broadly undefined specifics, it opens the door for all sorts of discrimination loopholes. In 1964, the owner of a BBQ restaurant in South Carolina based his refusal to serve colored people on the first amendment and his freedom to practice his religious beliefs. In lower court deliberations, a judge cited a previously rejected "religious freedom" defense which claimed the Civil Rights Act of 1964 was invalid because it "contravenes the will of God," and constitutes an interference with the "free exercise of the Defendant's religion." The Supreme Court agreed with previous court rulings and unanimously ruled 8-0 to uphold the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

Discrimination is simply the treatment or consideration of, or making a distinction in favor of or against, a person or thing based on the group, class, or category to which that person or thing belongs, rather than on individual merit. Clearly, "religious freedom" does not allow one to discriminate against people (in employment, education, housing, public services and facilities, and public accommodation, etc.) solely because they are of a particular race, or national origin, or believe in a certain religion, or speak a particular language.

It should be noted, however, that much to the chagrin of the gay folks, and it's why they are so adamant about it to associate Gay Rights and Civil Rights, even to the point of where they've gotten people to believe it is so, the Civil Rights Act does not include homosexuals or homosexuality as a protected class. A few local jurisdictions have recently passed anti-discrimination laws to protect gays, but by and large discrimination against gays in housing, employment or any other thing is, in fact, perfectly legal. In another year or so it probably won't be, though.

The Gay Agenda has been and still is nothing less than a full embrace of homosexuality as being perfectly normal. That will never happen, because it's not normal. They've been using the courts and legislation to force their will onto the public at large, and these RFRAs are (not well-thought out, knee-jerk) reactions to that effort.

In the end, however, gay weddings are a reality, the same as black people wanting to eat in a public restaurant. If you want to be a baker of cakes for weddings, or a BBQ Smokemeister, you're gonna have to deal with it, regardless of your religious beliefs.

On an unrelated but important note, please, please, please try and craft responses using the term "you" as little as possible, so as to be responding to the post and not the poster. Personal insults and subtle topic changes have been creeping their way into the discussion. Stick to the issues without making it personal. The entire depth and breadth of the Moderator Team and Administrators thanks you.

Reactions: davekc

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
In this day and age, someone who is anti gay, it's bad for business. One thing we've seen with the introduction of the Indiana law is businesses stepping over themselves to publicly criticize the law (unfairly I will add)and to holler from the mountain top that they are open for business to gays. It's a good selling point for them. Just recently, for example, the Detroit Tigers baseball team announced they will be having a LGBT day at the old ballpark. Everyone is getting on the bandwagon in reaffirming that gays are welcome at their businesses. What we are talking about is a small amount of religious people who, while welcoming gays into their establishment, maintain a religious objection in participating with their wedding plans. There are certainly other businesses more than willing to take their business from them. Businesses have realized that publicly being pro gay is good for their market share. Tapping into a customer segment who will spend their money with them.

The relevance — or perhaps, irrelevance — of all this should be obvious, but I fear it is not. While Jim Crow laws obviously went beyond economics, they were in their origin and greatest effect about economics. Racist Southern Democrats understood that nothing threatens discrimination more than economic liberty. Restore to blacks their God-given right to control and sell the fruits of their own labor, and the market will make enforced bigotry expensive. Without Jim Crow, bigoted businesses would suffer in the marketplace. As Sowell said, “Prejudice is free but discrimination has costs.”

RELATED: Indiana’s Law Is Part of America’s Tradition of Tolerance

Comparing RFRA laws to Jim Crow laws turns all of this on its head. Jim Crow laws forced tolerant businesses to be intolerant of blacks. No one, anywhere, is suggesting that people who want to do business with same-sex couples should be barred from doing so. The argument is whether the government should force a few ardent Christians (or Jews or Muslims) to participate in a ceremony that violates their faith.

In Indiana, the most vocal and arguably the most powerful voices against even the perception of anti-gay discrimination have come from the business community. And, one suspects, there are plenty of people in the wedding-planning industry eager for such business.

We could impose a fine on recalcitrant religious wedding photographers. But the market already does that, every time they turn away paying customers.
http://www.nationalreview.com/article/416402/rfra-not-jim-crow-laws-all-jonah-goldberg

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/2015/04/06/tigers-lgbt-comerica-park/25387009/

Last edited:

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I don't think anyone is surprised at how low the intolerant will sink. We have seen them in action before.
Yes we have, indeed.

pastorTerry_1879329c.jpg

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Yes we have, indeed.

pastorTerry_1879329c.jpg

I don't even remember his name but yeah burning the Koran like that guy did and the Westboro clan are all lumped together with the gay mafia. The whole idea that they will convince people of the "right way" by their actions is just pathetic.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
In this day and age, someone who is anti gay, it's bad for business. One thing we've seen with the introduction of the Indiana law is businesses stepping over themselves to publicly criticize the law (unfairly I will add)and to holler from the mountain top that they are open for business to gays. It's a good selling point for them. Just recently, for example, the Detroit Tigers baseball team announced they will be having a LGBT day at the old ballpark. Everyone is getting on the bandwagon in reaffirming that gays are welcome at their businesses. What we are talking about is a small amount of religious people who, while welcoming gays into their establishment, maintain a religious objection in participating with their wedding plans. There are certainly other businesses more than willing to take their business from them. Businesses have realized that publicly being pro gay is good for their market share. Tapping into a customer segment who will spend their money with them.

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/416402/rfra-not-jim-crow-laws-all-jonah-goldberg

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/2015/04/06/tigers-lgbt-comerica-park/25387009/

Well, it's bad for some businesses, not so much for Memories Pizza - it was a huge goldmine for them, lol. Businesses can state their beliefs & take their chances. What concerns me is the adolescents who are bullied by their peers [like high school isn't horrible enough for the non jock/cheerleader kids] and even rejected by their own parents, for God's sake. [Literally.] That's what's wrong with the religious message that being gay is wrong, bad, sinful, disgusting, etc., because those young people have no choice in the matter. They didn't 'choose' homosexuality [or gender confusion] any more than we chose heterosexuality. Bad enough that they grow up knowing something is different about themselves, not-quite-right, but knowing nothing about sex, they have no idea what it is. Then puberty, and suddenly, their long time best friends are all acting weird, like they actually enjoy being with the opposite sex, and would rather go on a date than fishing or play baseball! The confused kid finally decides they're just a 'late bloomer', and it will happen to them, too, but it doesn't. When they finally recognize the attraction to someone of their own gender, it's not a welcome thing - they've heard the ":censoredsign:!" & "queer!" taunts long enough to know how people will act, if/when they find out.
There are far too many young people who commit suicide rather than face that.