TURN ME OVER

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
There is another option, a 12V to 12V DC charger. A good one will cost more than an isolator. The charger is powered by the starting battery. A quality charger will provide 3 stage charging to your auxiliary batteries and act as an isolator. It will also have settings for the type of batteries to be charged so the starting battery can be different from the auxiliary batteries. I believe the Ford Transit comes with an AGM starting battery, being that it is located in the cab, under the driver's seat.
I'm not sure moot the Sprinter battery is under foot and not an agm. It does have an exhaust tube connected that vents through the floor board.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I was just guessing (hoping) it was an AGM battery under the seat. Only way to be sure is to look but getting at the battery appears to be a pain in the butt.

Sean, if you are using a 12 volt to 12 volt charger it won't matter if the Transit battery is a standard maintenance free.

Unclebob

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you order the dual battery option in the Ford Transit you will end up with two AGM deep cycle batteries as your main starting batteries. The. standard battery that comes normally in the transit is not a deep cycle but I believe it still an AGM battery.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
BUT, what keeps the house batteries charged??
As others have said, the vehicle's alternator while driving. While parked, if you have a generator you'd either charge the batteries directly from the generator or plug a battery charger into the generator and charge them that way. You could idle the engine to recharge them, but that's the least preferred way to do it.

Reactions: ishipforexcellence

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
As others have said, the vehicle's alternator while driving. While parked, if you have a generator you'd either charge the batteries directly from the generator or plug a battery charger into the generator and charge them that way. You could idle the engine to recharge them, but that's the least preferred way to do it.

I wish I had stayed awake more in skool. Please correct or confirm: If I have a small refrigerator, can it run and stay cool off the inverter/house batteries during the day - WHILE the house batteries are recharging when running, and then at night switch to the generator to allow 24/7 operation?

Which brings up a second question: Other than at Truck Stops has anyone been "hassled" about running their generator most of the night???

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yes my refrigerator is always plugged in and running.

The quite generator you have the better. I've never been bothered about the honda. If it's a loud one just try to park away from people.

Reactions: don111