Justify a diesel engine option.

kg

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Owner/Operator
I have owned in the past 2 diesel expedite vans. Both were pre- new generation diesels. I was pleased with them but always had a nagging doubt as to whether the economics of the diesel option could be justified. The price difference of fuel and the purchase cost premium the 2 big factors.

However now with the new diesels the maintenance, reliability, and mileage factors also come into play.

Perhaps other van operators could weigh in and make a case for the new diesel engines in a van over the gas option. I would be unable to.

Stay safe
KG

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It would take quite a while to just break even with a diesel considering the higher purchase price and higher fuel cost. Hmmm, the avg. fuel prices are no longer at the top of the site. Bummer. Using the new Dodge van the diesel is $4995 more plus any other mandatory options required with it. For a Chevrolet it apparently is about $12k difference. The Transit around $6k plus any mandatory options required with it.

For grins let's say you have to make up $5k. Let's say, presuming one drives for maximum mpg, the gas gets 18mpg and the diesel gets 24mpg. Let's say $2.70 gasoline and $3.20 diesel. The diesel is going to save 1.6cpm on fuel. That means when the odometer hits 312,500 miles the engine has paid for itself and will begin saving 1.6cpm. Drive it until 625,000 miles and you'll save a total of $5000 in fuel.

That doesn't allow for the cost of DEF which is probably going to take a good bit of the 1.6cpm. It also doesn't allow for higher maintenance costs for a diesel engine, although I have no idea what the ratio would be.

Now, if fuel goes up to $5.40 gasoline and $6.40 diesel the numbers are going to change to a little more in favor of the diesel. I don't think there's enough to make the diesel win, at least to me. YMMV.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
There have even been some older motors like the Powerstroke that were plagued with problems.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
As they come from the factory, no, I can't recommend them. But if you're out of warranty and do some homework they can be made right.