New Cargo Van Driver Seeking Tips

Nytmare897

Seasoned Expediter
Hello all. Just bought a van and ready to hit the road. I work for a company and am based in Central Pa. Now I do know that the loads come in when they come in. I have been in service for the last two days and stilll have not been called for a load. I know I am just starting but is still a little frustrating. Helpful comments and advice welcome. Thanks.

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hello all. Just bought a van and ready to hit the road. I work for a company and am based in Central Pa. Now I do know that the loads come in when they come in. I have been in service for the last two days and stilll have not been called for a load. I know I am just starting but is still a little frustrating. Helpful comments and advice welcome. Thanks.
PA. Can be tough most of the time, I usually dead head out back to Ohio or up near Buffalo

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Hopefully you're not sitting at home in Altoona waiting on a load. Where are you waiting? Have you checked with your company to see if Erie, PA or Akron, OH might be a better spot?

Reactions: paulnstef39

Nytmare897

Seasoned Expediter
I am right in Central Pa Altoona to be exact. I did think about dead heading back towards OH. But no way. Cause I have State College and Pittsburgh and even Philly are closer. So I figure I will just wait here at home till they get something and dead head for a pick up. Also with it being the weekend I am going to wait till Monday.

Reactions: ntimevan

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Fastman: Are you saying when you drop off in PA you dead head to Ohio? Or do you live in PA and dead head OH when you want work?
I live in Akron Area, I usually just deadhead back out towards home, or up to buffalo area, alway had good luck in that,

Nytmare897

Seasoned Expediter
Okay...my buddy lives in Lakewood OH..he gets runs weekly. I was hoping to just hold out home till I got a load. Then once I got out of PA stay out for a week. See where the loads take me. How is Maryland and/or Virgina? N.C.?

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Okay...my buddy lives in Lakewood OH..he gets runs weekly. I was hoping to just hold out home till I got a load. Then once I got out of PA stay out for a week. See where the loads take me. How is Maryland and/or Virgina? N.C.?

First off....Not all companies do the same in all states ..freight wise...most of the Big-Name company have Hot-spots that they should inform you of....
Next...my Wild guess here..You are going to work for a No-name broker...who chances are Does Not care ...When or Where to they get you a load or for a reasonable rate .... Hopefully you have 3 months worth of expence money saved up ..by that time you should be more aware of how this business works.... J M O

paullud

Veteran Expediter
So I figure I will just wait here at home till they get something and dead head for a pick up.

If you want be home you should either move to a better freight location or find a another job. The freight doesn't come to you, you go to the freight. What transportation experience do you have? It sounds like you are approaching this with a truck driver mentality.

jjtdrv4u

Expert Expediter

sell the van, and buy a straight truck; that way you will have better luck getting a load almost anywhere, just saying.

Nytmare897

Seasoned Expediter
Paul. My buddy who has been with the company swears I will get a load out of here. But we shall see. I am aware that when I dead head it is on my own time and dime. Yes a week does not seem like much. However for now I am only looking for about 1000 in cash to pay the bills. so if I only get 500 paid miles that week. I should be good . come home for a couple days then head back out.

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Paul. My buddy who has been with the company swears I will get a load out of here. But we shall see. I am aware that when I dead head it is on my own time and dime. Yes a week does not seem like much. However for now I am only looking for about 1000 in cash to pay the bills. so if I only get 500 paid miles that week. I should be good . come home for a couple days then head back out.
2 bucks a mile? I think we found the problem.

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
1000 bucks a week, 500 paid miles= 2 bucks a mile. In a van ain't gonna happen. If that's the carriers rate, your gonna sit forever

Nytmare897

Seasoned Expediter
No no...I am looking for 1000 bucks a month..and 500 paid miles was an example.. if i get 5 100 miles runs for a week that would be cool or 2 250miles runs. ya know?

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I would ask dispatch how many loads come out of that area, (they should know the answer) and how often, 1 a day? Week? And ask what area they are hot in? Might wanna move to the hotter area. Find out where they have the best luck at, and stay close to those areas