Press 5 For QualComm Issues

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My carriers telephone merry-go-round told me to: Press 5 For QualComm Issues. So I did. I could have pressed another number but I had QualComm issues and felt it prudent to press 5. What harm could come from pressing 5? I have done this in the past with mostly satisfactory results. Not this time!

After pressing 5, the phone at the other end rang. It rang once, twice... After the sixth ring, it quit. Either someone or something was about to answer my call. Nothing, the line went dead. No problem, I'll call again. Same thing. Six rings and the line goes dead.

I call again but this time I press 2 for Contractor Relations. After 5 minutes on I hold I hang up. I need to go for a walk, so I do. Some time later I get through to Contractor Relations and explain to the nice lady that I need to talk to the QC guru but that I can't get through to him on the phone. She says she will leave a voice mail for him and also e-mail everyone in the shop and have someone call me. Of course nobody calls back.

After lunch and a nap I call again and press 5. Same nothingness. I call again and press 2. A different nice lady is interested in my QC problem and suggests doing a remote restart. Sounds good to me. I like "remote", especially when it comes to my carrier. The more remoter, the more betterer.

She explains about the remote restart and we disconnect. Within a few minutes my QC magically shuts down. 5 minutes later it has rebooted and is up and running. But the original problem still remained. I guess I never explained the problem to you, my gentle readers. The GPS function quit working. Messaging worked but not the GPS location ping thing. I was stuck in Wayland, Missouri even though I was 150 miles north in Ioway.

It is now mid afternoon and I call back, pressing 2 for Contractor Relations. This time I talk to a guy who once worked with the QC guru installing QC. He walked me through a few things, talked to someone in the shop and decided it was time to take it to an authorized QC repair place. He said the chances of getting it fixed that late on a Friday weren't good. The nearest repair places open on Saturday were in Colorado and Washington. He did give me phone numbers for TK dealers in Omaha, Chicago and St. Paul. I couldn't drive to any of these, allowing for some time to do the repair before they closed.

I ended up calling St. Paul because it is about 10 miles from my house. I was told I could get in Monday or Tuesday. I chose first thing Monday morning and mentioned I was a personal friend of Ontario Van Man. My appointment is for 7:00 Monday night. So much for name dropping.

I'm at home and remained in service even though dispatch thinks I'm in Wayland, MO. This could be fun!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks for the name drop buddy....I owe you one.....I've had a QC installed there many years ago and that is where I bought my Espar and installed....usually very good people....actually I've never had an issue with any TK outlet there Fargo or OK City.....They are just always busy.....:).

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Isn't there a company terminal that would be closer to change it out?

Only drop OVM's name to the hotdog girl at the Pilot.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks for the name drop buddy....I owe you one.....I've had a QC installed there many years ago and that is where I bought my Espar and installed....usually very good people....actually I've never had an issue with any TK outlet there Fargo or OK City.....They are just always busy.....:).
I had this "new" MCP 50 QC installed there. The "technician" wanted to tear out the whole dashboard to install it. Good thing I was there to stop him, even though my presence was against shop rules.

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
the old style one...he made the holes exactly in the roof to the size of the bolts never in all these years has it leaked....:)

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Thanks Cheri! I don't believe anyone has ever referred to me as an asset. Maybe they have but forgot the "e" and "t" at the end of the word. I get that a lot!

I'm pretty sure they [ConWay] had to refer to all of us as "assets", in order to get rid of us, lol. ;)