2015 RAM Promaster Upfit from A to Z

tknight

Veteran Expediter
is the etrack thats recessed in the side boxes, backed with something unbendable, it looks like something that is strapped and for some reason moves will just bent that sheet metal, it looks real nice though, and i was wondering when skids are put in if the loader misses and hit those real nice sheet metal boxes and bends them, maybe nylon skits 1/2 x 2" or something on the inside that won't show, over alll its looking pretty darn cool!

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
That E-track is very thick and rigid because of the thickness and the immediate bends adjacent to the slots. In addition, the E-track is bolted solidly to the bins, creating a box beam sort of construction... while all the bins are firmly through bolted the floor, including lock nuts on the bottom side of the floor.

Finally, each van is equipped with beam pockets that fit in the E-track, along with beams to fit side-to-side, making it virtually impossible to bend the E-track on the bins inward. It's all quite strong.

Will we get scratches?... we get some but not as many as you'd think.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
So your using shortened load bars and not straps it was the use of straps that had me concerned with bending track
I once had a guy on my crew tighten a strap so tight he pulled in the truck walls on a Frp box and we had to cut the strap because we couldn't get it to release , Godzilla wasn't allowed to strap stuff any longer

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
So your using shortened load bars and not straps it was the use of straps that had me concerned with bending track
I once had a guy on my crew tighten a strap so tight he pulled in the truck walls on a Frp box and we had to cut the strap because we couldn't get it to release , Godzilla wasn't allowed to strap stuff any longer

We use both straps and bars as required. The floor E-track is ideal for straps.

wannatruck

Seasoned Expediter
Can we get a completed shot from the back doors looking in? What I've seen so far makes me want to come to Michigan and drive for you. Looks like you take good care of your operators!

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
Can we get a completed shot from the back doors looking in? What I've seen so far makes me want to come to Michigan and drive for you. Looks like you take good care of your operators!
I will post a full set of pictures soon. I'm not done building yet.

I do try to treat my drivers the best!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
personally I don't like anything permanently attached...and many a time I've been able to get a load on because of the ability to put 2 skids side by side at the rear or get them past the wheel wheels and turn them or again put them sides by side....or use the side door for a small pallet for say that awesome double load...:) and of course anything added takes away weight considerations....you add 75 lbs you have to subtract 75 from payload....and so forth...
That said! Nice job Westy...:)

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
20150324_170628.jpg
So, I cut a pound or two off by cutting a hole in the side behind the driver's door...
20150324_171123.jpg
Which is for the air conditioner door, which has weather stripping adhesive attached before installation...

20150326_140408.jpg
The inside has to be properly spaced to match the interior wall...

20150324_173452.jpg
The door is attached through the skin and into the interior frame. A hold open catch is installed as well...

20150324_173515.jpg
The door is installed, ready for the outside trim to conceal the attachment screws...

2015-03-27 14.46.23.jpg
The air conditioner in its normal stowed position, with the interior oak plywood, shelf, and retainer in position...

20150327_144459.jpg
This is the driver's side wall with electrical & coax installed, with both lower and middle panels attached.

Reactions: in-Transit and Moot

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Nice job! Did you have to cut through any support ribs or just the sheet metal? I would like to add small double hung windows in the rear doors and/or side door when I get my Transit. I'm not sure if any support ribs will be in the way.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
Nice job! Did you have to cut through any support ribs or just the sheet metal? I would like to add small double hung windows in the rear doors and/or side door when I get my Transit. I'm not sure if any support ribs will be in the way.

I had to trim one of the side "window" supports but I think they only have them in the center of the window areas to prevent "oil-canning" going down the road... (making weird noises).

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
I get all my "RV" accessories like that door from a place in my town...his brother has a place basically @ 131 & 80/90 White Pigeon Mi.

They are "A up fitters wal mart" :)

This guy is right of I 94 exit 66 1/2 way between Detroit & Chicago...you go by it all the time...

Attachments

• 1427736603376.jpg
    1427736603376.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 46

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
Here is the bed is the regular in use position...
bed close.jpg

Stepping back a couple of steps...
bed horizontal.jpg

The bed in the stowed position... the support plywood can be placed against the bulkhead instead to gain a bit...
inside close.jpg

Completed interior...
inside.jpg

The small brackets that support the bed and plywood support. They remove easily...
side bin.jpg

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
Finally, the most important part of the installation!
Driver rear.jpg

pass front.jpg

This truck is ready to roll! I'm looking forward to the next project arriving in a couple of weeks.

One of these Promasters will be at the Expo in July if you would like to see it in person.

Thanks for watching the progress of this project! :)

paullud

Veteran Expediter
In the picture under completed interior is that AC in the position it stays in going down the road?

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
In the picture under completed interior is that AC in the position it stays in going down the road?
It stays there UNLESS the van is carrying a tall, 3 skid load. in those few cases, the red bungie is quickly undone and the air conditioner relocated to the front right floor.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
I think I forgot to post the Fridge / Microwave / Qualcomm installation. Here it is. The tray the screen is mounted on contains all the extra cable lengths along with the scanner.
Kitchen.jpg