Pets In Trucks!!!

BigCheese

Seasoned Expediter
My wife and I have different opinions on this matter. So I thought I would throw the question out there. What are your feelings on having pets on the road with you? If you do.what type of pets do you have.

Last edited:

dalejrroks

Active Expediter
I have had dogs, cats, and even a ferret in a truck with me. I would have to say I enjoyed having my dog with me the most. I actually picked him up when I was in El Paso. One of the best dogs I have ever had. I would not suggest a puppy though because "house breaking" just is not possible really in a truck. When driving as a team it nice to have a little friend to talk to lol while the other driver is sleeping.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
We have a half weenie dog, half beagle in the truck with us. She has been there since she was a puppy, and yes we potty trained her in the truck. You just have to be diligent and get on a schedule.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
If you would enjoy having a pet, you should have one. [Unless you wish to drive in a division, such as FedEx White Glove, that prohibits it.]
You should also make sure the pet will enjoy it, too. Don't choose one that is not going to enjoy being in the truck for long periods, or one that needs more exercise than you can consistently provide. It's probably not a good idea to bring an older dog who has never spent much time in a moving vehicle [I think there's good reason for the saying "You can't teach an old dog new tricks", lol] but there are exceptions to every rule.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I would want to make sure that the pet was the right fit for being on the road. Lots of dogs that cine from shelters have separation anxiety so they don't care where they are or what they are doing as long as people are around. Our dogs love being on the road and getting to go for walks to check out new territory all the time.

BigCheese

Seasoned Expediter
My biggest concern is cleanliness of the truck. Not that I'm a germaphobe or a clean freak. Having been on the road as long as I have I've seen some truck drivers with some pretty nasty habits.ie... dumping urine jugs out there doors in truck stops or just opening door and going. Deficating behind trailers. Seen it all. Now I pull into the spot he just left vacant, dog has got to go, jumps out the truck right into the last guys mess. Now the dog climbs back into the truck with god knows what on it's paws. And yes it gets worse. The dog don't sit there and wait for you to wipe it's paws off, it carries everything it has stepped in right up onto your bed. Sorry about that visual but it's one that I have had since 2012 when my wife and I decided to take this venture called H/W team. Don't take me wrong folks I love my dog and yes he rides great but do i wanna take the time to wipe it's paws ever time I stop. Do I wanna take the time to find a nice grassy spot that I can run him. What about rainy days? These are question that we are now asking ourselves these final few weeks before we leave.

jjtdrv4u

Expert Expediter
I see more and more load offerings now days that say no pets allowed on the load, (also, see more that say no beards allowed, no foreigners allowed, etc, but that is for another story or another thread somewhere),

a few years ago when I used to be in the dispatching business, I noticed that quite a lot of the cargo van and sprinter drivers that had dogs with them, that these guys would be later on loads than drivers without pets, it seems drivers with pets would lose more time stopping for potty breaks for the pets (which they could not make up this lost time), and also these drivers would be more tired and sleepy from the dogs barking all night, preventing the driver from getting any rest, just saying.

JohnWC

Veteran Expediter
Hey I have dog with me. He's probably better than most he doesn't bark unless somebody knots on the door his potty breaks are when I stop I always make sure before I get to the shipper.or receiver that he does his job. He keeps my feet warm in the winter and most of the no pets places don't mind him tied outside their property most of the time he's being petted by everyone and putting a smile on everybody's face and mine.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Hey I have dog with me. He's probably better than most he doesn't bark unless somebody knots on the door his potty breaks are when I stop I always make sure before I get to the shipper.or receiver that he does his job. He keeps my feet warm in the winter and most of the no pets places don't mind him tied outside their property most of the time he's being petted by everyone and putting a smile on everybody's face and mine.

I agree...my buddy and I have a whole thing worked out...I like to use the RV islands @ flying j so he can run around while I am fueling...they learn how things go real quick...
NOW tying my dog up and leaving him ...will NEVER happen..I guess they don't get the freight then...wouldn't tie my son to a post.. not doing that to my dog..

jjtdrv4u

Expert Expediter
I agree...my buddy and I have a whole thing worked out...I like to use the RV islands @ flying j so he can run around while I am fueling...they learn how things go real quick...
NOW tying my dog up and leaving him ...will NEVER happen..I guess they don't get the freight then...wouldn't tie my son to a post.. not doing that to my dog..

this is what I am talking about, when you have dogs, they come first, and the freight or the dead line, and everything else is second; (although I never traveled with my dogs),

also, my wife and I would never tie up our dogs either, not at home or anywhere else (I did think about tying up the kids a long time ago when they were little, tho, --- lol).

JohnWC

Veteran Expediter
this is what I am talking about, when you have dogs, they come first, and the freight or the dead line, and everything else is second; (although I never traveled with my dogs),he's right there by the guard shack and most of the time with the guards being petted (he's a spoiled rotten Bratt ) LOL

also, my wife and I would never tie up our dogs either, not at home or anywhere else (I did think about tying up the kids a long time ago when they were little, tho, --- lol).

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I see more and more load offerings now days that say no pets allowed on the load, (also, see more that say no beards allowed, no foreigners allowed, etc, but that is for another story or another thread somewhere),

a few years ago when I used to be in the dispatching business, I noticed that quite a lot of the cargo van and sprinter drivers that had dogs with them, that these guys would be later on loads than drivers without pets, it seems drivers with pets would lose more time stopping for potty breaks for the pets (which they could not make up this lost time), and also these drivers would be more tired and sleepy from the dogs barking all night, preventing the driver from getting any rest, just saying.

I've never seen a driver stop for just the dog and I never had too. Why would a driver have a dog that barks all night? It doesn't make sense and wouldn't be tolerated by the neighbors. I think you are confusing issues and looking for a reason that drivers were late or tired.

Dr Phil

Rookie Expediter
Cheri1122 white glove does allow pets in thier trucks now..for almost 6 months so far , wich is good dont have to hode mine anymore..lol

Reactions: robh2

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Cheri1122 white glove does allow pets in thier trucks now..for almost 6 months so far , wich is good dont have to hode mine anymore..lol

That's a change from the policy they maintained for years, but I'm sure there are others [like shippers & consignees] who forbid pets, so it's something to keep in mind.

ysracer

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Has anyone had an issue entering Florida at their inspection stations ? Asked for health certificate, proof of vaccinations ?

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Has anyone had an issue entering Florida at their inspection stations ? Asked for health certificate, proof of vaccinations ?

Never. The dog was even sitting in the passenger seat a couple of times because he likes to see what is going on when I slow down. Not sure on the laws but that was my experience.