Non stop sprinter repairs

eded5215

Rookie Expediter
I recently bought a 2011 sprinter 2500 170 ext. It had 101, 000 when I received it. I have put 12, 000 miles on this and have had good luck with it UNTILL the I had to replace the dpf filter. The internal core of the filter shattered making it scrap. Then after spending $3000. on a new filter all my def lines plugged...another $1100. Now the def heater went and the def light is back on. Looks like buying a used sprinter is not a good idea and the projected repair this time is another $3300.

GrassHopperr

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
LOL! Was the sprinter you bought the very first one you saw? And did you pay the price asked, without any thoughts, "oh sure 30k? let me write ya a check"

fenderbender

Rookie Expediter
I recently bought a 2011 sprinter 2500 170 ext. It had 101, 000 when I received it. I have put 12, 000 miles on this and have had good luck with it UNTILL the I had to replace the dpf filter. The internal core of the filter shattered making it scrap. Then after spending $3000. on a new filter all my def lines plugged...another $1100. Now the def heater went and the def light is back on. Looks like buying a used sprinter is not a good idea and the projected repair this time is another $3300.
I guess it's too late now but this would have been a good project to do the DPF, DEF delete on. Since you had to remove everything anyway. Hope you're running strong now.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
I guess it's too late now but this would have been a good project to do the DPF, DEF delete on. Since you had to remove everything anyway. Hope you're running strong now.

How would you get around the severe derate that will immediately follow the removal of these systems?

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
What about passing a state safety and emissions inspection. Instant fail in New York, California, and other states are joining the masses soon.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I would recommend having the head, head gasket, and EGR cooler and system checked. Just like a catalytic converter if you blow engine coolant or oil through it you will ruin it.

I would recommend dumping it ASAP.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
What about passing a state safety and emissions inspection. Instant fail in New York, California, and other states are joining the masses soon.

I know soneone who had it done on an 07, it passed emissions with no problem.

fenderbender

Rookie Expediter
Yes. It's a bit of a gamble. I'm not advocating for it. I'm just putting it out there that it has been done. Not as a poke in the eye to regulations, but as a way for some to keep from going bankrupt because of defective systems.

Reactions: scottm4211

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
one of cause for this problem what type of oil are you are using
you need to use new oil for low ash made for sprinter

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yes I'm sure Roudolph Diesel is ready to bust out of his grave with what the epa has done to his engine.