Howdy!

EmEx

Seasoned Expediter
Been lurking here for several months; thought I had better step-up and let you-all know I am here:eek:! I am a Cargo Van O/O, a one-man operation. When I am away, I leave my wife and 4 children at home, here in NKY, so I like to hurry back...After 6 years on local delivery with a CDL box, then 3-plus as an expedite company driver, I took the leap: bought a van (Express 3500), registered my own Authority (contract and common carrier), wrote and discarded about a dozen business plans, filled my fuel tank, and it has been a bed of roses ever since. (Okay, I made that last part up.:)) Still, I am determined to make this work, and my wife and family support this venture, so just 6 months in and I consider my many mistakes to have made me a better driver, businessman, and person. I have learned a great deal from reading about other's experiences here, so I thank-you for that, and I hope that I may be able to contribute to the conversation in some way...

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Welcome!

I see that you are based in NKY, that is also the home of ExpeditersOnline.com.

By all means - please share, the value of this community is it's members sharing information on their experiences, good and bad and there by helping others to be successful.

Stay safe out there!

EmEx

Seasoned Expediter
Ragman and Lawrence, thank you kindly for your welcome. Just-now started posting, and I have seen the cautions about keeping strong shoulders, since members here tell it how it is, or at least how they see it, so I will stick to what I know (not much:(). "Picking on Ovm": is that Ontario Van Man? He has actually been one of my likes, so I will keep an eye out for a chance to pick on him:)! Lawrence, you might see my bright yellow van around Florence and Erlanger; feel free to toss me a wave or honk any-time!

canavaro69

New Recruit
Hi there expediters
I've tried other forums but seems like nobody wants to talk about it or tell the truth or answer exactly to my questions.
I'm thinking about starting up with a van. My wifes job and school requires for me to be home quite bit. I live south of Detroit which i know is pretty hot area.
Is worth to get a brand new van ?
Which van would be best ?
I make any money if i hire my nephew as driver and do 50/50 split ? (He pays for gas and minor repair)
If i get positive answers here, where do i start ? What are the steps i need to take ?
Make the company first ?
Go buy a van ?
Register the van at DOT ?
How much would be the van payment per month ?
Do they require a down payment ?
How much would be inssurance ?
How much would be cargo inssurance ?

canavaro69

New Recruit
That right there, tells me expediting is not for you. Expediting requires one to be away from home for periods of time.

I thought so and that's why i posted, because i wanted to find out if is worth for me to spend the money and take the risk by hiring somebody to be on the road

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
What happens if you hire your nephew and it doesn't work out? Say, the van needs a major repair, which you should pay for, but you believe it's due to his negligence? Or he decides he doesn't like living in a tin can?
I don't think you have any idea how many things can go wrong with hiring a friend or relative to drive a van for your business, especially when the business is one you know very little about.

jjtdrv4u

Expert Expediter
Hi there expediters
I've tried other forums but seems like nobody wants to talk about it or tell the truth or answer exactly to my questions.
I'm thinking about starting up with a van. My wifes job and school requires for me to be home quite bit. I live south of Detroit which i know is pretty hot area.
Is worth to get a brand new van ?
Which van would be best ?
I make any money if i hire my nephew as driver and do 50/50 split ? (He pays for gas and minor repair)
If i get positive answers here, where do i start ? What are the steps i need to take ?
Make the company first ?
Go buy a van ?
Register the van at DOT ?
How much would be the van payment per month ?
Do they require a down payment ?
How much would be inssurance ?
How much would be cargo inssurance ?

although it sounds like this business is probably not for you, at the same time, it could be.

you are in the hottest part of the country for expediting.

check with some of the big expedite companies that advertise all over this website, some are hiring just for your area, and only for local runs in your area.
good luck.

canavaro69

New Recruit
Yeah i figured out that this is one of the hotest area and i decided to do it. Now the question is ? What do i get ? A sprinter which i heard gives you lots of headaches (expensive to repair after warranty expires) ? A transit which is not that long ? A promaster which is bulky but not very driver room freindly ?

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yeah i figured out that this is one of the hotest area and i decided to do it. Now the question is ? What do i get ? A sprinter which i heard gives you lots of headaches (expensive to repair after warranty expires) ? A transit which is not that long ? A promaster which is bulky but not very driver room freindly ?
Word of advice! Do nothing until you learn the business.

Reactions: Scargo