Registration must be in the name of the driver

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've seen this everywhere, and although I'm not a newbie its never been explained. I posted here thinking it might help the newbie crowd as well.

WHY does the registration have to be in the name of the driver? Insurance? Contract law? Company fleet insurance? Liability?

My personal experience at my old company had them cancel our fleet insurance and obtain our own, with our own plates, but the vehicle had to be in the owner operator's name.

So...leases or corporate ownership are out? Why?

Anybody explaining any and all reasons for this I'd appreciate it. Saw it as recently as today on a company's website that was taking on vans

Perioodic

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My van isn't in my name. I'm just on the insurance policy and nobody has had a problem with it.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My van isn't in my name. I'm just on the insurance policy and nobody has had a problem with it.
That's my previous experience but I'm seeing this a lot. Makes me wonder how to set up a proper corporation to own the van for example (save on taxes)

Closest thing to an explanation was "our contract is with you thats why"

Perioodic

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
That's my previous experience but I'm seeing this a lot. Makes me wonder how to set up a proper corporation to own the van for example (save on taxes)

Closest thing to an explanation was "our contract is with you thats why"

You can get a power of attorney and it'll be "yours" in the companies name.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks for that...not sure if it would pass a brainless recruiter or not if the registration portion was not in "my name" ?

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Must.be.a Canadian thing.
Entirely possible, but the last place I saw it advertised (today) was an American expediting company requiring it to hire on under 10,000 vans...any fleet owners/company owners chime in?

I have a feeling its so they can point the finger at me in case of an insurance claim...

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Entirely possible, but the last place I saw it advertised (today) was an American expediting company requiring it to hire on under 10,000 vans...any fleet owners/company owners chime in?

I have a feeling its so they can point the finger at me in case of an insurance claim...
Wait a second, did I read that right? They are signing on ten thousand vans?

Reactions: ntimevan

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ontario thing for sure....the ownership registration comes in 2 parts...tag portion and ownership portion...when you sign unto a carrier up there the ownership portion is registered to the carrier to be insured and the plated portion stays with the van owner....you are never in danger of 100% losing your van to the carrier as the plated portion is still yours...

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
So everybody doesn't have a 2 part ownership? My mind is blown

So again, why would an American company state that registration must be in driver's name?

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
basically a carrier can ask for any number of issues or items...we see that in here at times...carriers making what we consider unrealistic demands, crossing the line between IC and employee and never being challenged..It is their ball park and THEY are the home team ....advantage to them...and they know it all too well....